Survey: How Do You GWC?

direct download-> usb stick-> car stereo with in built usb slot

By that logic, why even use Linux? Microsoft is trying their hardest to acquire the UNIX patents that Novell (now Attachmate) owns. You know that if they do, they’ll start going after Red Hat, Canonical, etc.

At the beginning, I listened via direct streaming on the website. It was how I found this site in the first place (and realized what a gold mine I stumbled upon!).

But now, it’s just boring old itunes to ipod. :smiley:

UPDATE: Zune Users, I want to hear from you. If you’re willing to help me with a small amount of testing, please send me an email. Once again, Thanks!

Apple looked so good years ago, and they’re great at innovating first. But their business practices and policies just keep getting worse and making me dislike them more and more.

But at the other end of the spectrum, I’m constantly impressed with the services Google keeps putting out. Of (almost) everything Google has a product for, they have the best imo.
With the exception of their micro-blogging “Buzz” service… (really how can anybody compete against Twitter at this point?)

But anyhow, to respond to this actual survey… Their RSS reader, “Google Reader” ( http://reader.google.com ), is of course my RSS reader of choice. It alone makes getting my chosen news feeds very easy, but of course thanks to GWC podcasts being RSS-enabled, I can subscribe to them through Reader as well.
But then the real beauty of it is their mobile OS “Android” and their podcast application for it, “Listen”.
The Listen app uses a special folder in Google Reader anyhow to track your podcast subscriptions. And the app is quite well featured in that you have control over when podcasts are downloaded (like able to specify only download when connected to WiFi networks), how often to check them, how many to download to the device, search for other podcasts right from it, things like that. It even automatically (wirelessly) syncs with Reader so if you listen to an item on the mobile, it’s marked Read in Reader as well. As well as it can of course stream the podcasts even if they’re not downloaded. Even on the slow Edge network in the town I live in it’s usually plenty fast enough to mobile stream without the need to pre-download.

-> Brain -> Mouth -> ITunes

i wish they’ve put Zune in there too :stuck_out_tongue:

The little blue 2X button speeds back playback without raising the pitch of their voices. It’s really kinda awesome unless you’re listening to a fast-talker to begin with. (Like Chuck’s intros and outros. Those make me dizzy at 2X.)

android>doggcatcher

I’m a tad behind, but my fav place to listen is on San Francisco muni, where I sometimes laugh and scream out loud during the podcast, thereby fitting in nicely w everyone else on munii, except that I’m wearing clothes and not urinating. Well, not usually.

I normally listen live. :wink: Then stream website later.

I didn’t know there was a podcast app, I might look into that.

All the response about iTunes is making me nervous. I directly download the MP3 from the blog page to my MP3 Player. If the Blog page started downloading an MP4 or whatever the Apple format is, then I would not know how to convert it to MP3 so I could listen to it from my player.

Please allow me to continue downloading the podcast in MP3 format!

Peace.

Ethan: Worry not. We have NO plans to stop releasing the podcast as a pure MP3. I love iTunes (on the Mac at least) and I’m an iPhone and iPod user, but I like the idea of keeping my music (and podcasts) in open formats. :slight_smile:

The purpose of this is to get a grip on all the various delivery methods out there. Juan’s been putting a lot of effort into smoothing out our distribution process, so we wanted to make sure we didn’t cause any problems for people along the way – and want to make getting the podcast as easy as possible.

H264 is slightly better than MP3, but not enough to worry over.

omg! me, too! LOL

You guys are KILLING ME!

Oh, Frenchie! Now you’ve got me wetting my pants with laughter!

Hive, you are GENIUS!

cuprunnethover

iTunes then sync to my iPhone for Monday at work. It’s the first podcast I listen to every Monday. I would get the app if there is one.

I use google reader but only because I listen to podcasts at work and for some reason GWC is blocked there (so no forum browsing) but yet I can still use the embedded player in the reader.

i love the fact that the crew keeps the cast format agnostic, but if there are other shows that you liked but have run into this problem, most programs even the dreaded Itunes; can easily turn AAC to mp3 so long as it isn’t protected. just for your information