Stargate's future

Well, it looks like the attempts to get proper conclusions for SGU and Atlantis (and another SG-1 move) are dead for now.

SGU continuation, other movies dead — for now

I’m not really a hater of SGU like some people, but I think the transition from Atlantis to SGU (especially the first half of SGU Season 1) could have been handled a lot better. That’s not the sole cause, but the way the Atlantis cancellation/SGU announcement was handled and the dramatic change between all previous Stargate and SGU were a bit much.

It’s dead Jim.

that’s just frakked…

Yeah writing was on the wall was plain enough we didn’t even need Daniel Jackson to translate it.

However, it’s sad to see it in an official place.

Stargate reboot anyone?

Too soon?

~Shooter Out

I’m game for it as long as it includes David Hewlett. :wink:

They sorta already that with the Children of the Gods special edition. d:

I’ve liked all SGs. Yes, some more than others. Still, I am/was sad to see any of them go.

We’ll always have wrestling. ):

It means there is actually a termination date for The Gatecast, let me work it out, 6 left with 5 from there some overlapping add two then divide in half and blimey 2017!!

We better get out collective fingers out or go back in time and start the podcast earlier in the grand tradition:D

Brave face, damn shame we won’t see at least 1 tv/dvd movie, I’d have preferred SGU to wrap up some things but I would have bought either SG1 or SGA movies.

perhaps by the time we terminate in 2017 a stargate reboot will have happened and we can cover current episodes each week.

That would however lead to a tougher editing schedule for poor hard working mike…
Phaze
on the “oopsie, netbook just fell off the arm of the chair, still working though” ID

For me Stargate was good sgu was close to great, with moments of greatness still say “time” was the best any SG show has handled time travel, cause they embraced the paradox. But most SG fans didn’t like it, Cause it wasn’t as light hearted as its forerunners. But that’s how it goes, with tv these last years.

Me to sgu

well always have Paris

Honestly, season 2.5 has struck a much better balance between early SGU drama and classic Stargate adventure. I understand that they really wanted to establish the characters in season 1.0, but I think they went too far in the drama direction. It’s just too bad that they found the balance too late to really grab the fans who were skeptical going into it.

said this in another thread - but it fits here as well

I really loved the central plot of this show, the wrong people trapped in a bad situation, and they don’t magically turn into the right people three episodes in.

Yeah, it took just over a season. d: But, something had to be done with Chloe.

What annoys me is that in the end, all three Stargate shows were cancelled while they were on the up-swing. While I think SG1 had its ups and downs, and season 10 was not their best, overall the back half of season 10 was some of the best stuff they had done in years. Mitchel and Vala were setting into their characters and the main plot threads of the show were picking up.
Atlantis also had its ups and downs, but season 5 was my favorite overall, at least in part due to Bob Picardo. I was slightly disapointed when it was cancelled, but I was way more eagar to see Universe then more Atlantis at the time. Also, I figured we would get a movie. :frowning:
I’ll echo what has been said already about Universe, which is it has been consistantly getting better.

I’m trying to justify feeling bitter about getting 17+ seasons of Stargate and still feeling gypped.

i09 has a great article on this

http://io9.com/#!5792884/10-lessons-about-life-after-cancellation-that-stargate-can-learn-from-firefly-and-star-trek

cancellation doesn’t have to be the end

I couldn’t agree more with that article. Most of the shows they mention in the article were more cult shows, or shows that didn’t last too long. Stargate has always had a more mainstream audience as well as the die-hard crowd. Don’t know if that makes a difference, but I think its worth noting.

Funny how they mention Dr. Who Big Finish audio dramas, since Big Finish did 12 Stargate ones and from what I’ve heard, has more on the way.

I was really hoping that after the final episode had aired there would come some kind of announcement that the franchise would continue in another format, just so SyFy couldn’t screw things up by witholding unaired episodes or something. I am all about reboots and such, I guess I’m in the minority but I consider myself a serious Trekker and I loved the new Star Trek movie. However in the case of Stargate there were so many stories from all three eras left untold (that were quite possibly better than the stories they did tell but that’s subjective) that I don’t want a reimagining if a reboot does come down the line some day.

I truly hope that if the franchise is as big as MGM has claimed it is, if it’s as important to them as the Bond franchise (which they have stated in legal documents surrounding the bankruptcy filing), then they won’t let some pissant network exec with delusions of grandeur screw with that. While I do enjoy some of the network’s so-called “reality” programming, I would still prefer that stuff stick to the Discovery networks and let SyFy be SciFi again but that’s a rant for another time.

If a “reimagining” does come down the pipe some day, I would hope that it somehow incorporates the original film into the overall SG-1/Bridge Studios mythos because whether people saw it/liked it or not, it was the genesis and deserves to be remembered and it’s personally in my top five favorite movies of all time.

I can easily (for good or bad) see a big screen movie based on the original Stargate be it a reboot or sequel of some sorts and move forward perhaps a jumping point for a TV show dependent upon the scope of the production.
However with MGM only being a distributor I believe for the Dean Devlin movie I’m afraid I don’t see any chance of an continuation in any “live” action form of the TV arm of the franchise as we’ve come to know it.

It’s perhaps easy to forget how invested a lot of producers and writers of the franchise have been and how they may simply want to do something different so forget the money the core behind the scenes talent may simply not be available anytime soon.