Single Malt Scotch Whiskey Geek Thread

LOL … vid reminds me of most of my twenties … good times, good times :slight_smile:

OB

Another close personal friend of mine. Not whiskey but Jamaican rum :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/KrPISpcRBaw

OB

//youtu.be/6VVvXCf35tI

speaking of close personal friends.

Long ago in a tumultuous time I like to call “my 20s” I lived in Windsor Ontario (Canada). Close to my “single guy apartment” was the Hiram Walker distillery. My morning jogs ( often hung over ) would take me past this illustrious cathedral to human desire to get “fooked” up. The interesting mornings were when the vats were being cleaned and the entire neighborhood smelled of half baked whiskey.

Good times … Good times.

OB

Funny story. Wife spent 2 weeks in Cuba for a conference one year and practically lived on Mojitos. There is only ONE rum in Cuba and it’s Havana Club. She decided to bring home 4 liters for us to enjoy at home. On the way through the USA/ Canada border, customs stopped us and thought we had made an illegal trip to Cuba as Americans. To say he was pissed (3 am) would be an understatement. Well, they’re getting ready to book my wife for treason (her passport was stamped to and from Cuba) when they found the statute that allows professionals attending conferences immunity from the law prohibiting American citizens from visiting Cuba. Whew. Anyway, he let us keep the Rum and was glad not to have filled out all that paperwork in the middle of the night. We drank a BIG mojito the next day!

On the Talisker, great. Very smooth from beginning to end. Not particularly smokey, more dried fruit, oak, toasty with a very mellow, long finish. Looking forward to the rest of the bottle.

//youtu.be/OHNZUmdqdv8

From Charlie Wilson’s War, the bugged bottle is Talisker.

D

Yikes … treason charges for visiting Cuba! Glad it all worked out in the end.

I’ll have to keep eye out for Talisker. The clip does make me wonder of “famous spirits” from film and TV :slight_smile:

OB

Every “Highland Games” whiskey discussion I’ve ever attended in a nutshell:

//youtu.be/L2NxmZMW7Ys

OB

Hey, I was digging through the cabinet the other night and found this! Still have just enough for a few mojitos. Ahhh, Cuba, muy hermoso.

Hope Y’all are having a great 4th weekend.

d

So my scotch drinking experience has gone from like a 15$ bottle of no brand rail scotch to ill gotten Glenlivett 12 year old. What I’ve learned is I can never get into scotch it I don’t want to be broke

Oh my!! Mojitos all around!!

Hope you had a great weekend as well.

Here was my drink of choice while watching the festivities. Thank “the maker” I still have a week’s vacation :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/HkXBHF0crQk

Cheers,

OB

The trick is to drink other people’s scotch. I try to buy
1 good bottle a year. Also it makes for a good
Birthday or Christmas gift.

Or just drink blends, they are still quite good,
And not too much cash.

Jameson’s is one if my favorite cocktail hour
Drinks.

D

Hope all is well in Long Island.

“Oh rental cars, how we abuse thee”

“Socrates himself was particularly missed”

//youtu.be/6b7r5jIEe9s

I concur on your mention of blended as well as Jameson.

It seems to get a bad rap from some quarters but I thoroughly enjoy my close personal friendship with Jamesons :slight_smile:

OB

cough I rely on GWC to tell me these things cough

Work with me people … work with me :slight_smile:

OB

Got a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye from VT for my b-day. Comes in an awesome bottle reminicent of old time prohibition era bottles. Interesting company, they distilled the rye in Canada and finish it in a 2 barrel process in Vermont. Really nice creamy body, with strong vanilla mixed with what I would call greenwood. Not smokey at all. Unique and awesome. Not sure I taste peanut butter and jelly?..:slight_smile:

//youtu.be/w7Husbw3850

cheers,

Durzo

GRABBY HANDS

Drink up me Hearties Yo Ho !!

//youtu.be/lFkkeWeTQFY

OB

P.S. Happy Birthday :slight_smile:

Happily I received a business gift today in the form of 700 ml bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.

I seem to have impressed some deep pocketed clients.

Pretty good timing as I head into a week’s vacation :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/xX-BwG3PDVA

Cheers,

OB

Well a couple of evenings with Johnnie and I am happy enough. I don’t think I’d drop the extra Quatloos for Blue over my preferred Green Label, but I cannot complain.

Speaking of review sites, I’m sure you visited Ralfy’ s. He truly is a vlog machine. Geez Louise, he’s got almost as many casts as GWC :slight_smile:

I concur with his finding of JW Blue.

//youtu.be/Oxg5jHSQJAM

OB

In other videos you might spot a Dalek and Tardis on bookshelf behind Ralfy … Cheers.

Speaking of Green Label … Musical Interlude #2

//youtu.be/91WdbOm6JBM

OB

I know this is a Scotch page, but I just discovered Beam Devil’s Cut bourbon. Ooooooh, is it nice. Very drinkable. I like the various Jim Beams as mixed drinks. And I enjoy Jameson on ice. But this… drop a big ol’ ice cube in the middle of a glass of this, and you’re in for a very good evening.

http://www.jimbeam.com/devils-cut

Holy Crap, was that done in 1 take? AWESOME! Wonder how many rehersals they had before it went “in the can”?

OK, this is just totally sweet. I am going to refer to everyone on the single malt forum as “Malties” now.

I’ll be picking up my very own JW soon. So you recommend the green eh?

D