Single Malt Scotch Whiskey Geek Thread

There are so many good American whiskeys right now…mmmmm, Devil’s Cut… I think I will defer to Mr. Simpson on this one.

//youtu.be/msQPHxTUgzI

d

Also, tried an Irish cooler the other day which is 2.5oz Jamesons and ginger ale over ice. Again, mmmmmm. nice and cool.

I preferred the green. Getting hard to find with all the brand changes going on. I never made the Talisker to Green connection before, but I think I might move that direction.

Ferris, I’ll keep an eye out for Beam’ s Devil you mentioned. It sounds enticing.

Aside from blends, here a sci-fi inebriated movie idea that looks interesting.

Please Drink (and warp) responsibly :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/yPrtQ9AdoM0

OB

Popped into my local liquor emporium for some (Jack) mini bottles to slip into the golf bag ( shot 89 on par 72 course ).

Anyhow, the shopkeeper confirmed that Johnnie Walker Green Label ( and Gold as well) has been discontinued. He had 4 on hand and expected to be empty by end of autumn. I bought out his stock ( $67 US a bottle). This should take our household well over 2 years to sip through. A shame the Green Label is no more … globalization is a bitch :confused:

//youtu.be/zbQTXFJL8lo

OB

A Bottle of this is coming my way. Hopefully arrive within the week.

I have some back logged “Homeland” episodes to watch while I sip this new Green Label.

Something about Claire Danes makes me yearn for a whisky :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/Qp3nKEv4qIE

OB

Have you used this site before? Seems too good to be true. Prices?

D

Haven’t ordered through the site in video.

This particular bottle I ordered from Binny’s in Chicago and a co-worker in will be bringing it on the train later next week ( Apparently my state ( Michigan ) frowns on alcohol ordering off the internet. If this 15 is worth the effort I’ll ask our local Spirits emporium to order it ).

Currently Binny’s price is --> Glendronach 15 Year Old Revival at $80.

Sounds like a great bottle. Let us know what your verdict is after a few glasses.
I prefer to buy from my local store if possible. But tempting selection online.

D

Was watching Star Trek, Into Darkness last night and enjoying some JW red label on the rocks, and noted that quite a bit of whisky is being consumed in this movie. Got me thinking,

a. How do I make perfectly round ice cubes (AWESOME)?
b. How far back does the whisky tradition on Star Trek go?

Turns out, it goes all the way back to the beginning…

//youtu.be/qhfCZOLMRrY

GOtta love Scotty. He can drink any alien under the table!

D

After careful consideration I has surmised that this is :

Fucking Awesome

//youtu.be/mxV0R99vnxM

Smooth and fine. Like a kiss from the wife after 2 weeks on the road (your mileage may vary)

OB

Musical Interlude

//youtu.be/OEx-GMDQxjw

OB

Was in New Orleans at the beginning of the month. Had oodles
of great scotch, bourbon, etc. What a crazy town!
Bourbon street was nasty but you need to see it.
So much good food and drink it was hard to keep
track if it all. An epic trip.
Got an awesome hat too.

D

ps: what was the musical interlude supposed to be?

I agree. N.O. is one of my favorite places in this world. Wearing a younger mans clothes I recall the slow pace and the charms of the city for a month’s time back in the mid 90s. Visiting museums and drinking bourbon with Euro-trash(y) friends at the time.

No point to interludes … other than inspiration or condemnation ( viewer’s choice ) of the effects of imbiding the drink.

My first visit ( during the Reagan administration) was a early Saturday morning. While wandering the “French Quarter” my friends noticed a passed out ( and self urinated ) fellow lying upon the door step to a drinking establishment. As we smoked and consulted our tour map, a cheerful barmaid emerged with a Sharpee and a Cardboard Box Lid. She scribbled “Another Satisfied Customer” and placed it on the sorrowful prostrate man. ( New Orleans … like Fleet Week … every week).

Obviously we committed ourselves to visit the pub later in the day :slight_smile:

OB

//youtu.be/rtVrS1bNDns

not OB ( far far away … and way way afar )

“4 fingers of Elmer T!!” - Boyd Crowder.

//youtu.be/zjtPaL9D8io

My new bourbon of choice… very very good stuff :slight_smile:

OB

//youtu.be/ytNTGg0S2sc

So much good bourbon, so little time!

Just got this. mmm. The Big Ginger is going to be my summer cocktail of choice I think…

70 degrees today :slight_smile:

durzo

//youtu.be/Z0ON06W8D7E

OB

2014 … summer of Bourbon as well,

Just got a new Glenfiddich 15 for my b-day. Was sitting down tonight with a glass and just thinking about how much I miss the crew and the cast. Would have been a great night to sit out on the porch listening to the crew bs about summer movies or whatever. Guess I’m just feeling sentimental tonight. But damn, I miss those guys. So here’s one for me, and one for my homies. Hope all is well out there.

Have a great week everyone.

D

p.s. Oddball, I just got all of your signature references, Kelly’s Heroes is a favorite. haven’t thought about that one in a while. I think I’ll get out my copy of A Bridge Too Far this week.

Fine spirit ( Sláinte ) and fine movie.

//youtu.be/-Li65P_3lvM

OB

P.S. I drank a bit too much Elmer T. Lee over the summer.
Time to walk with Blackie for a bit.

Thought this looked interesting. I’ll start looking for this in our local shops, or maybe the duty-free shop might have it? Looking forward to trying it. As another article said, (paraphrased) “the Japanese may not have invented whisky, but they have perfected it”…

Japanese Single Malts by the Foodist.

Durzo

also loved the clip embedded in the article.

“winning “world’s best single malt” awards” … that’s a bold statement. Worth a look (or taste) but I am skeptical.

Let me know how it goes, if I stumble upon it I’ll do like wise.

Obligatory youtube embed.

//youtu.be/V8XcDlgkI3k

Cheers,

OB