Single Malt Scotch Whiskey Geek Thread

Tell us a bit more about Glenlivit Cask Strength, don’t know much about it. Sounds like a fairly high awesome index though.
I just picked up a Knappogue Castle 12y old Irish Single Malt. It’s not a new product for them but a new label to reflect the fact that it is in fact a single malt. I would say that on first taste is is fairly mild in flavor, but pretty rich at the same time and also a touch fruity. Doesn’t have the deep smoky peaty undertones of the Scotches, but really nice overall. I’ll definately keep my eyes out for more from the Emerald Isle.

http://www.knappoguewhiskey.com/vintageroom/

Durzo

I just happened by this thread while looking around, and I was wondering as to what kind of posts people would have. I’m not a whisk[e]y drinker myself, so curiosity reigns.

Anyway, this is more than I expected. I expected 2 posts:

“Yow that’s got a kick!”

And

“Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth”.

Mmmmmm, scotch.

OK, I might as well chime in. I’m a highland or speyside guy myself, and I’m lucky that my sweetie shares my tastes in scotch (actually, I think I share hers, but who’s counting).

Here are our standard house scotches…
Basic: Glenmorangie sherry cask (“Lasanta”)
For mixing: Aberlour 12 year (Sweetie loves rusty nails)
Premium (& in my office at work): Aberlour A’bunadh Cask Strength
Islay for guests: Bowmore 16

In 2005 we moved from Canada to the US for a new job. Unfortunately I had a serious collection going at that point, and I say unfortunately because the movers wouldn’t pack open bottles of liquor. We took a lot of partial bottles of scotch instead of wine to parties in the months leading up to our departure… We’ve since moved back to Canada, but sweetie has ‘requested’ that we limit the scotch collecting… (Wine is ok though hehe)

Slàinte!

We gave our friend who is a Scotch lover a bottle of Glenvlivet Nadurra. Any one had it? He shared a bit with me and I enjoyed it, but am no expert.

I seem to recall having tried this whisky about a year ago. It was very good and seemed kind of sweet tasting. I think I might seek it out in time for my b-day.

Cheers.

Hope you enjoy it. I do recall my friend reading a review that mentioned “sweet tasting.” I’m looking forward to visiting the friend soon and sharing a bit more.

Never had this one, so I don’t know much about it. Any thoughts on flavor, etc? I did have the opportunity to taste a single malt over the holiday from the Isle of Jura which was great. Pretty smokey and aromatic without being too peaty which many of these island types tend to be. Here is the link. Not too pricey either.

http://www.isleofjura.com/distillery/classic-bottlings/origin-10.aspx

Happy new year!

Durzo

I had another glass of the Glenlivet 16 yr old Nadurra. I’m not a routine drinker of Scotch. But this may turn me into one. Very tasty. Google it and check out the reviews. Quite highly rated, especially for a “big” distillery. Here is a link to one: http://www.allthingswhisky.com/?page_id=349.

Damn that is good stuff!

I picked a fifth up last weekend for a little “get together” we were attending.

Several folks (3 of Celtic ancestry) imbibed and all agreed it was a fine experience :slight_smile:

Cheers,

OB

Anyone have first hand experience with this?

//youtu.be/zBnCSvmX1d4

Looking for a bourbon to add to the cabinet in case some one drops by with that inclination.

Just can’t see going the JB or MM route.

OB

Haven’t had this one, but american bourbons and whiskeys are the
new thing. I love the whistle pig rye from
Vermont. Also had a local whiskey from Minnesota, but can’t
recall the name.

D

Aye … not sure why but several of my redneck friends and neighbors seem to be asking for Bourbon more and more ( there might be a reason why Waterford is sometimes given the nickname Water-tucky). Mrs. Oddball blames the television show Justified. She used the analogy of several years back how Madmen caused a short lived interest in Canadian Club.

I suppose I’ll just stock Jim Bean for summer julips :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/yT2i2UylxJ0

OB

Also will keep eye out for the whistle pig you mention :slight_smile:

proof ( pun ) that the internet is sent from god and she loves us :slight_smile:

I find the various videos on Amy’s Channel interesting.

Here she speaks of a close personal friend of mine.

//youtu.be/Ibf1nNpQJ84

OB

P.S. drink in moderation and responsibly … unless … you have cab fare … and you have tomorrow off … and your wife’s out of town … and you’re at your personal fitness goal :slight_smile:

Absolutely, nothing wrong with a good domestic
Or blend. Hello, Chivas anyone?

Ill steal a quote from wine lore

“There are five reasons for drinking whiskey;
The arrival of a friend; ones present or future
Thirst; the excellence of the whiskey;
Or for any other reason.”

D

Well I have a bottle of this on the way for our Memorial Day BBQ ( guitars, horse shoes, lawn darts, brauts and beer). I’ll see what the hub-bub is and report back :slight_smile:

OB

Sampled some a bit early while watching the hockey. All in all a fine robust bourbon :slight_smile:

OB

Sounds like a good acquisition. Ill pick one up on my next
Whiskey buying adventure.
I’m about to crack open a Talisker single malt soon. Ill file a report here when sampled.
Any details on the Hudson Bay? Price point?

Durzo

My younger brother Marty hopped across the border to Buffalo NY picked up 2x375ml ( little cute stubby bottles).

He drove out our way and dropped them off ( along with some run of the mill duty free stuff).

Total price was $90, which seemed high(ish), but a fine drink all around.

I think I’ll still gravitate to Maker Mark, JB etc. for my neighbors and friends. Those folks will be happy regardless. My confederate father-in-law is another matter all together :slight_smile:

Enjoy your Taliskers :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/eBB4ZH4veZU

Cheers,

OB

Musical Intermission!!!

… the snack bar will be open for 15 more minutes…

//youtu.be/boanuwUMNNQ

OB

Hey, I didn’t know there were cameras at my last party!

Trogdor!!!

D