GWC Podcast #128

I think Lady D was talking about BSG spoilers in the recent trailers (which I haven’t watched yet, for the same reason).

Don’t know if anyone here is a Paul and Storm fan, but they’re running they’re 25 days of Newman (i.e. what if Randy Newman wrote the theme song to every movie) and Day 2 is The Big Lebowski. Check it out here http://paulandstorm.bandcamp.mu/ :smiley:

WORD.
by the way, the cast was sweet. no worries that it isn’t sci fi.
And I posted my comment well before finishing the pod cast, so… i’m listening to the rest of it… “Wait a second. Crap. I totally asked if anyone else noticed this stuff, and Chuck mentions both on the freaking podcast.”

Well done, sir.
Can’t wait for more.

Welcome aboard, and heck of a first post! Thanks!

And just when you were wondering whether GWC could get better, there 'tis. Newman (and fake Newman) rules. Thanks for the awesomeness, Jofur. And welcome to the fleet, er, forum.

Speaking of awesome fake Newman, here’s Mad TV’s Randy Newman sings Star Wars, collaborates with Rob Zombie:

//youtu.be/v/SK-p3mtyhRc&hl=en&fs=1

The Jesus marks the middle of Tuturro’s trinity of hustlers and grinders, including The Color of Money and Rounders.

Well, I watched The Big Lebowski for the FIRST time this weekend. I’m not sure I totally loved it ----but I was entertained ----- but wow, I was impressed very early on in the movie cuz OMG, Bob Dylan’s song “The Man in Me” (from his New Morning (1970) is played not once, but TWICE. I’m a huge Dylan fan and love that album and that song (http://www.bobdylan.com/#/music/new-morning).

After listening to the podcast and thinking about the movie for a couple days now, and it’s growiing on me. But—stupid head that I am—I sent the movie back to Netflix–I shoulda kept it for another watch …or two.

I’m also glad to hear that many people—Audra included…and the two guests that were interview on the podcasts didn’t love the movie the first time through. So I don’t feel so bad. I guess one of my hang ups was that I was kinda automatically comparing this movie to Miller’s Crossing–the Cohen Brother’s beautifully rich and quirky gansta movie. Miller’s Crossing is probably in my top five favorite movies of all time. And it see a lot of similarities between Miller’s Crossing and TBL:

1. the quirky, interesting characters—lots of 'em.
  2. Scenes that rivet you to the screen because they’re so weird and shocking.
  3. Music setting just the perfect tone to scene (although Miller’s Crossing’s soundtrack towers about TBL’s)
  4. Steve Buscemi and John Turturro and Jon Polito of course
  5. A plot that’s complex and weaving, but the plot is never more important than the characters.
  6. A huge treasure trove of quotable lines in both films.
  7. A sort of “zen” ending.

Anyway, bottom line is I guess I was distracted watching the movie cuz I made me thirsty to go see Miller’s Crossing again.

I enjoyed The Making of the Big Lebowski peice on the DVD too. The Cohen brothers are interesting guys.

But most of all, I’m telling ya–that’s why the GWC Podcasts rocks so much. After listening to ChuSeanDra’s deep love and for TBL detailed discussion about TBL, now I’m feeling I gotta see it again as soon as humanlly possible.:smiley:

When geek worlds collide:

Tron v. Big Lebowski!

Link

Awesome trivia about Yuri…

exacTly

thank you, Mr B :slight_smile:

I’m a big Coen Brother’s fan, if for Nick Cage’s hair in Raising Arizona alone. Lebowski, mystified me when I first saw it. Later, I heard that it’d acquired a cult following, so I gave it another shot. And a friend shot a “the rug really held the room together” quote at me, which I miraculously got, so you know, peer pressure. It does get better with each viewing. I’ve requested it at the library, so I’ll have it in a few days.

Have you guys seen the mashup trailer of TBL and Bladerunner?
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/154043/video_dude_runner_trailer.html

I am not sure what is cooler…that mashup or your handle. I think in the end we’ll call it a draw.

Welcome Chalupa!

Oh, and the cast was awesome! You guys are the funny in just any old average GWC cast, but this time, you out did yourselves.

Killer link! Welcome!

Mark it 8 dude!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/dining/03lebo.html?_r=1&8dpc

So interesting that the Food Network decides to air (repeatedly) the episode of “Ace of Cakes” presenting a baked confection at Lebowski Fest on the same week that the Triumvirate discusses TBL…coincidence? I think not!

I just had a surreal picture in my head of you saying the F word & a bunch of GWC’ers saying “BEEP” at the same time. LOL Fun times.

I think it would be fun to hear an entire podcast where Chuck just let’s go and swears all he wants. Maybe post it directly to the blog or something (not via iTunes) just that one time.

That’s called a meetup. :slight_smile:

That’s not fair - there won’t ever be a meetup in South Dakota!!! :smiley:

Holy craaap, Thot! Your siggy was up practically before I’d even typed the line! lol!! Now that’s quick action.