GWC Podcast #108

You owe me a new keyboard…

Hey Audra,

You’re welcome. Where’d you find the image of Cmdr. Larkin for your avatar?

just heard Sean mention that when you’re watching the prequels you have to start messing with the dialogue as you hear it in order to get through some of the rough patches.

I agree, and would like to offer my favorite alteration:

every time Mace Windu/Sam Jackson speaks, imagine that he adds [the Oedipal expletive] to the end of his line.

:smiley:

Frakkin’ brilliant! LMAO!

yeh i can’t get “yoda on the scene 900 years old…etc etc!” out of my head…but I DON"T WANT TO…eep!!! and i use "like lando on liquor ALL the time now!! :smiley:

that’s my new favorite expression

I can buy that putting on the Vader mask would lower Anakin’s voice a couple of octaves - but strange that it would give him an English accent too!

I did like how when Vader asked about Padme there still was emotion in his voice, but once he found out she was dead and let out his “Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!” he lost all emotion. I think he repressed it all until Luke resurrected it. Probably also why he ignored R2… it was just too soon…

Given that he suppressed of all his emotions, I guess it would be appropriate that he adopt an English accent… maybe a German one would have been ever better…

Regarding the “I love my tata” bumper sticker… in case you didn’t already know, Tata is Indian brand of cars… in fact, they own Jaguar now, I believe.

So just in case anyone missed it, “I love my tata” is a double-entendre… not just a simple expression of affectation for one’s own funbags.

So, the bumper sticker should really read “I Love My Tata, IYKWIM”

due credit: [the Oedipal expletive] is shamelessly stolen from Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode’s Radio 5 Live film review podcast

That’s way too long to remember. I can manage “Labcoat”, though. :slight_smile:

Okay, here I come to wreck the thread…dun dun DUUNNNNNNNN!!!

Anakin got the scar over his eye while fighting Asajj Ventress (in the Vol 2 of Clone Wars) on Yavin IV.

Audra & Sean, thank you both for voicing the thing about the nightgown, I’ve been griping about that since the movie came out.

OMG that’s a freaking funny rap. Here’s another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gCA31tUFY

As for the [Oedipal expletive] - not to pimp other podcasts but I know there’s other people here that listen to this one and the Abridged version of RotS they did is freaking hilareous and they use the aforementioned [Oedipal expetive] in the exact way you’re thinking it so… http://www.geekson.com/features/episode3.htm

The faux English accent is a real pet peeve of mine in movies. Not in the Star Wars ones so much – I can buy the idea that, apparently, in the 20 or so years between Eps 3 and 4, the nobles and high society and military upper ranks decided that speaking all Brit-y conveyed class and sophistication. OK, now that I’ve said it, it sounds campy.

What bugs me is when filmmakers want to have Nazis sound exotic and foreign, but they need to have them speak English so Americans and Brits understand them, so they have them adopt the Bri’ish accent. Even when it’s a ritzy tone, I still think it comes off like, " 'ullo gov’nor! Ah’m Add-olf 'itler, Ah am!"

I know, it seems weird, but trust me: Now that I’ve pointed out, you’ll recognize it’s a common phenomenon.

Welcome aboard, A. Lo.

Would you prefer that they sound like Hogan’s Heroes with the faux Germanglish accent?

not exactly on point, but when my mom learned English as a student in northern europe, she was taught to speak with a brit accent. don’t know if that’s so much the case anymore, but regionally, it simply makes sense to learn to speak a new language like the people you’ll be speaking with.

I know I speak Spanish with more of a mexican accent than anything else, and the colloquialisms I’m familiar with tend to be mexican as well because the vast majority of people I converse with, and from whom I learn, are from Mexico.

in the case of nazis in film, I imagine hollywood is/was trying to make them sound elitist and foreign (to its american audience) at the same time. what better way to do that than with a posh brit accent? :wink:

I see NOTHING! :smiley:

my best friend was from guadalahara and had a very thick accent and i asked her one time if they spoke with different dialects in different parts of mexico (kinda of how people in massachussetts speak english a little differently from people in alabama and apparantly i have a california accent to my relatives in utah but they are the ones with the accent!!) maybe vader was around those english imperial officers and just picked up their accent so he didnt sound like such an outsider??? :slight_smile:

I can definitely see that. I took four years of Spanish in high school. My teacher used a Mexican accent, which was all that I knew at the time (let’s just say my hometown wasn’t particularly ethnically diverse). When I tried to continue in college, the teacher was a native speaker from Madrid. He spoke fast with a Castilian accent, and I couldn’t understand a word he said. Needless to say, my further studies in the language were less than stellar. :frowning:

I only speak an american mish-mash of english. This comes from being a military brat stationed in Hawaii, Michigan, New York, California during my formative years- though mostly Californian by now. I still get crap for it.

I wish I spoke spanish- it would make my life a LOT easier- with my face and all. I am Mexican/Spanish born, adopted into Japanese/Mid-Western Caucasian family. My nose is a dead giveaway to my heritage.

I only remember a few Japanese phrases from childhood, but am still devoted to Kikaida! I have learned a bit of spanish, but it seems to get me into more trouble, given my face- especially my nose, lol!

Living in San Diego, so close to the border, most spanish-speakers address me in spanish, first. eep. When I ask “en ingles?”, I get either the affronted or pity look. sigh. I like my nose. Don’t want a nose job. lol!

What’s worse, I tend to pick up the accents of people I speak with, or books I read. The hub can always tell when I’m re-reading Gone With The Wind or any Jane Austen by my accent and speech patterns. It’s worse with aural immersion.

No. I am not making fun of anyone! sigh. go figure…