Galactica Watercooler Cook Book

I was amused lately to come across this story of one Aussie’s quest to build Brisbane’s Biggest Burger.

Prologue
Prototype
Attempt the first
Attempt the second

(His digs at America at the beginning are pretty hilarious given where he ends up.)

holy crappppp i might have to try this one. i love Thai food love the whole spicy-sweet-peanutty thing. besides i would love to eat that in front of someone and explain what it is.

If you do, tell us what you think! (I’d say that probably goes for any recipe here too)

I’ve started combining all kinds of jellies and preserves with things hot and salty (usually chillies and soy) to make some interesting glazes and sauces for grilled chicken and pork, so I’m always looking for new ones. And let me tell you, there are a ton of surprising marmalades and jellies out there, Gods bless those crazy Brits!

Here’s a new recipe:

HUMITAS

You can also add cheese, meat, etc but here is the basic corn mixture, which is delicious by itself, too.

12 ears corn
1 onion
basil to taste
salt to taste
hot pepper (I use hot sauce) to taste
sugar, also to taste
3 tbsp butter

Place everything in a food processor and mix until you reach your desired consistency. Wrap spoonfuls in either a) corn husks, b)aluminum foil, c) other wrapping of your choosing. Steam for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

This isn’t that uncommon, but in case people don’t know the proper way to grill corn:

[ul]
[li]Carefully peel the leaves of the corn husk back without detaching them
[/li][li]Remove silk
[/li][li]Refold leaves
[/li][li]Soak in water for about thirty minutes
[/li][li]Throw on the grill until husks brown
[/li][/ul]

I normally just shuck the corn and toss it straight onto the grill. Keep it on a medium heat about 8 minutes maybe a little more and rotate the ears. every few moments. It will start to brown up lightly all around but dont burn it. It comes off and when you eat it it needs no butter, salt, pepper. Its been some of the juciest corn i have ever eaten.

This is how I do it too if I’m just eating off the cob…

But THIS is what I do if I’m using it as an ingredient. In particular, it’s awesome for corn salsas or to add texture to cornbread.
(I imagine it would add even more depth to the “HUMITAS” recipe above too)

If you haven’t yet, try grilling some fruit. Pineapple and mango slices, peach, pear, plum and apple halves all work well. Great for salsas, warm salads, shortcakes, or just top with ice cream or sorbet (maybe with a drizzle of honey, assorted cordials or reduced balsamic).

This thread makes me hungry…

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium yellow onion
Garlic (I use alot probably 5 good size cloves, but i love garlic)
1/4 cup parsley flakes
2 Cans of Tomato Sauce 12 oz
1 Can diced Tomato 12 oz
1 Can Tomato Paste 12 oz
2 tsp Olive Oil
2 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 bunch of fresh oregano
8 Fresh Basil leaves
salt
pepper
crushed red pepper (optional)

Dice Garlic and Onions (you can probably get away with only using half an onion).
Over a medium heat cook onions in a pan with the olive oil and cook till the onions go translucent.
Add the garlic, beef, and parsley flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until all the beef is browned then drain off the fat.
While the Beef is browning finely chop the Basil and Oregano.
Return pan to heat and add the canned tomato products, Worcestershire, the basil, and oregano (if you want a little spice you can add crushed red pepper). stir together.
Simmer over a low heat stirring occasional for about 35 minutes.

Serve over a pasta of choice ( I use linguine) and Enjoy!!

I posted this elsewhere, but I figured this was a good place for it as well.

Jewish Apple Cake

Peel and slice 8 apples
Add 3 tsp cinnamon and 5 tbsp sugar
Stir and set aside for one hour

Then combine the following in a separate bowl:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
½ cup orange juice
3 tsp baking powder
2½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
Mix together until smooth.

Pour half of the batter into a greased Bundt pan.
Cover the batter with half of the apple mixture.
Repeat, using remainder of batter and apples.
Bake at 350ºF for 1½ hours.

…and the most difficult step of all:

Keep for 24 hours until eating. :eek:

Ok folks - I’ve started getting all the yummy recipes into an actual document that will (hopefully) turn into an actual cookbook .pdf file. If anyone has a recipe they would like included, post it here or PM me and I will get it in there!

Oh - and I hope you guys don’t mind that I fixed some grammar and punctuation errors. :smiley:

I mind my grammer good; :cool:

I already said elsewhere that we tried this recipe and I would even recommend a waiting period of 36 or 48 hours while keeping the cake under one of these dome-like cake thingies to keep the air out.

In my mind, the point is that the dough is supposed to absorb lots of juice from the fruit and that takes time and tastes absolutely gorgeous.

This might sound odd but its a great cheese spread if you really like cheese. Sorry no exact quantities here but you really don’t need them.

1 package cream cheese
About half that amount blue cheese or gorgonzola
1 package dried blueberries
Chopped walnuts (I skip this)

Let the cream cheese come to room temp so it is soft.

Crumble in the blue cheese or gorgonzola and blend well.

Fold in the blueberries holding some back for garnish.

Best if it can sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors come together but serve room temp so its soft.

Pile high, garnish with the remaining dried blueberries and have at it.

Any serving suggestions? With crackers or toasted pita triangles? On Bagels? On top of Prosciutto topped crostini? …with a spoon when no one is looking?

Well, this has started me thinking…
If the GWC is going to have it’s own official cookbook, shouldn’t it contain at least a couple recipes with a BSG (or GWC) theme?

Just brainstorming, but might some recipe names include the words:
Capric-ola, Star Fruit, Hot Dog (duh), Saul(t), Head Cheese, Toaster pastry (or just toasted or toasty), Bal-Tart, Pega-sauce, Sugar-Cain, Corn Huskers, Doc Cuttlefish, Jammer, Duck, Boxed lunch, Chicken Frak-assee, Hy-Bread, Kara Cake, Am-Adama Bread, Rag Taglia, Ground Chuck…

Any other ideas to help spark some BSG culinary exploration?

Prosciutto topped crostini sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to give that one a go. I like plain watercrackers because they don’t have much flavor, its a socially acceptable spoon.

I was thinking of trying this spread on a fig. Waiting for the figs on the tree to ripen. A fig with this cheese spread, wrapped in prosciutto… hummm sounding yummy.

OMG! bkitty weakly slides to the floor, helpless with silent laughter

Shades of Judy Garland!

I’d be willing to chip in my private experiences with book layouting and then we could put it up on Lulu for free and everybody who’d want to buy one could do so and put it on their book shelves.

or,
Ellen’s Hot and Spicy Tigh Roll, Butterfingers, Six’s Steamy 6-Layer Centurion Tureen, D’Anna’s Bier Battered Fingers, Cally-Flower & Cabbage…

I don’t think I’d want to eat a BSG-themed Hot Dog…