Galactica Watercooler Cook Book

Hey folks I figured it might be nice to have a place for people to share some of their favorite recipes. And also to discuss other food related things such as restaurant reviews.

Ill throw down one first

Simple Crock Pot Pork Tacos.

Ingredients:

3lb Pork Butt
Bunch of Cilantro
1 can of peeled tomatoes (don’t remember the size its the mid size can)
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 Teaspoon of Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper

Condiments to top.

Just put the Pork in the Crock Pot cover with tomatoes cumin and chili powder. Chop the Cilantro and toss it in as well. Cook on low for about 5 hours (high probably 3 i dont know i always use the low setting) take the Pork out and shred it with two forks and remove the bone (if you have a bone in it). Put the now shredded pork back into the crock pot Salt and Pepper to taste and cook for another hour. Remove and serve with the condiments of your choice.

Ill also give the recipe for my Guacamole (which has turned Guac haters to Guac lovers who request it…nay demand it).

3 Haas Avocados
1 bunch of Cilantro
1 Medium yellow onion
2 Limes
1 Jalapeno (you can add other hot peppers to add heat if you want)
Sun Dried Tomatoes in a jar not a bag
Green Pepper
Yellow Pepper
Red Pepper
4-5 cloves Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Chili Powder
Paprika

1. Cut Avocados in half length wise and remove pit (easiest way to do this is take and smack the blade so it sticks into the pit. Carefully rotate the knife horizontally and the pit should pop out. Then just the pit off from the blade)

2. Using a spoon scoop out the avocado meat ( Set the skin aside if you are able to keep it mostly intact, it makes a nice serving dish bowl) trying to keep it wholly intact

3. Cut the avocado into strips then rotated and cut into cubes so they are about 1/4 inch cubes. Put these into a large mixing bowl

4. Cut lime in half and squeeze lime juice into the mixing bowl and toss the avocado cubes maxing sure they are all covered. Set the bowl aside.

5. Chop up the onions, Garlic, Peppers, and tomatoes to smallish sizes. Chop up the Cilantro (sometimes I take the time to pull the leaves off the stems it seems to make it a little nicer to eat) And set asside

6. Go back to the mixing bowl with the avocados and squeeze in a little more Lime. Put in a pinch of salt and a few turns from the pepper grinder in. Put in some Chili Powder about 1 tables spoon, 1/4 teaspoon of Cumin, and 1 teaspoon of Paprika (i have never measured i always just do it to taste)

7. Using a potato masher, mash the avocados until they resemble mashed potatoes you can taste and more ingredients normally its more lime or salt for me until you like the taste. ( you can also use a food processor but my way is a little more pleasant looking )

8. Next fold in the other ingredients making sure that it all mixes nicely (it should look almost look like a guacamole salad. It has all kinds of nice vibrant colors with the peppers and the taste is very fresh and much better than you get in most Mexican restaurants. (If you want a creamer guac you can just toss every thing in food processor it still tastes good but looses some of its visual appeal)

9. Squeeze in a little more lime and toss the cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about an hour to let the flavors meld. I like to serve it in the empty Avocado skins again just for visual appeal.

Look forward to hearing other peoples ideas as well.

Here’s one of our favorites! You stir it all together and then let it sit over-night in the fridge and then just toss it in the oven when you get home the next night and Voila!, supper. And even though it calls for dried beef, we usually use ham or turkey (you know - leftover holiday meat!). I tried it once with leftover roast - I wouldn’t suggest that.

1 cup un-cooked macaroni
1 cup milk
1 can cream of [insert whatever is in your cabinet here] soup
4 ounces shredded cheese (cheddar or colby-jack is best)
4 ounces of dried beef (we use 8 ounces of diced ham or turkey - we’re carnivores at my house)
Diced onion to taste
2 hard-boiled eggs, diced (yes EGGS!)

Stir all these things together, toss it in a casserole dish, cover, and stick in the fridge overnight. I’ve made it in the AM and just refridgerated it all day and that works also. When you’re ready to cook, bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 1 hour.

I’ve played with adding peas or increasing the cheese and it’s a pretty flexible recipe. Like I said earlier, roast beef isn’t the best idea I’ve had! Left-over hard-boiled Easter eggs work also and makes your dinner more colorful (the cousin’s kids tend to over-dye…). It goes good with left-over green bean casserole and garlic bread. :slight_smile:

Pike’s Orion Soup:

1 can of Campbell’s Split Pea Soup you found in the back of the cupboard.
1 packet of Mustard Sauce leftover from the last time you had Chinese.

You can figure out the rest. It’s really quite good.

Solai’s dinner of champions (can serve 1 to 12):

1. Pickup phone
  2. Dial restaurant of choice
  3. Wait 15 minutes
  4. Pickup

So its fit to serve the Cylon population.

Or the Quorum.

as long as the president and vice president don’t eat. Besides i think they just deserve a foot long sandwich, not each mind you just to share between them.

Take instant rice
Boil
Empty into large frying pan with butter
Put eggs in frying pan
Put corn/peas in pan
Cook
Pour into giant bowl
Eat with sauce of your choice. I like teriyaki

Om nom nom

The only kind of food I can get like that here is either pizza or chinese (which hubby won’t eat!).

Hubby wont eat pizza or chinese??? Is he a communist :eek:

Pizza - Yes
Chinese - No

He doesn’t like gravy either. :eek:

Check basement for pods.

Awesome thread, when I’m home I’ll start recipe sharing… I was actually just thinking abut this a few days ago :smiley:

For some reason, I thought this thread was about 111 ways to cook algae.

Deep-fried algae
Boiled algae
Baked algae
Stir-fired algae
Algae a l’orange
Algae, algae, spam, and algae

Do we need to make a “Bubba Gump Algae” T-shirt?

Front: “Baltar Gump Algae”
Back: 111 ways to fix algae

Serious moment here: If we get a lot of recipes, do we want to collect them and possibly either print them our make a .pdf cookbook of them?

Sure, why not? If no one else has the skill or applications I would volunteer to do the layout. I am sure we could get Sean to design a cover and interior graphics. We can use the old barn to put up the show! Your Mom can sew the costumes…we can save Old Man Johnson’s store!

…wait, what were we talking about? :smiley:

Also at some point we can perhaps take pics of our food stuffs and make it even prettier like