[ol]
[li]Follow this recipe
[/li][li]Throw out window :smiley:
[/li][/ol]

Be sure to use freeze-dried blueberrys.

It itches when it goes down IYKWIM

Ugh, totally.

Though “Butterfingers” would be pretty awesome :slight_smile:

[/ol]Ok…you are going to have to explain to the wife how the sofa got ruined. I just choked on my coffee.

Ingredients:

• 2 tsp whole cumin seeds
• 1 tsp black peppercorns
• 1 tsp cardamom pods
• 1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
• 4 inch stick cinnamon
• 4-6 dried chilis (I use de arbol for the heat, but you could use any kind)
• 1 tsp whole fenugreek seeds
• 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp light brown sugar
• 2/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into half-rings
• 1/2 cup water, divided
• 1 inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled & coarsely chopped
• 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
• 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
• 2-2 ½ lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 cup tomato sauce

Vindaloo paste:

1. Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and chilis together in a spice grinder. In a small bowl, combine ground spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a blender. Turn off the heat, but do not discard the oil. Add ¼ cup water (or more if necessary) to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl. This mixture is the vindaloo paste.

Putting it together:

1. Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add ¼ cup water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
  2. Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the ginger & garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds. Add the chicken, a little at a time, and brown lightly.
  3. Add the vindaloo paste, tomato sauce to the chicken in the saucepan. Stir and bring to a slight boil.
  4. Cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour, or until chicken is cooked through.
  5. Serve over rice.

Some people put potatoes in here, too. You would add 1/2 lb of new potatoes, peeled and quartered, when you add the vindaloo paste and the tomato sauce to the pot.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time. This takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs start to finish. But, it’s SOOOOOOO worth it.

2 questions

what the frak is fenugreek seed?
and where the frak do i get it?

also on a third note where do i find black mustard seed

And i intend to make this with lamb or pork as well and might adjust times and what not to it in a crock pot. ( i love crock pots)

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/indian-fenugreek-seeds-whole-and-ground

also on a third note where do i find black mustard seed

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/brown-mustard-seed

thanks hair!!

He beat me to it. Thanks, Poofy!

I was also going to say that if you have a Mid-East grocery or even an Indian or Asian grocery nearby (we have quite a few within a few miles of my house) you can find them there. Also, cardamom pods can be really expensive if you try to buy them in the regular grocery store. Shop around, and you can find 'em cheaper. (For example, I paid $13 for a small bottle in the supermarket, but only paid $3.50 (for two to three times as much) at the spice stand at my local farmer’s market.)

And I have made this recipe with beef, and it was good, but I’m not a big fan of lamb (unless it’s cooked by a pro) but I’m sure it would work wityh pretty much any meat. I tend to make it really hot, but you can adjust the heat as desired by adjusting the number/type of peppers. I personally make it hot enough that a few bites and you break a sweat.

I’ve never tried it in a crock pot. If you try it, let me know how it works for yah!

what about adapting the spices in the recipe to things that are easier to find? America’s Test Kitchen has a recipe for a vegetarian curry that, while certainly not authentic, is an attempt to help those of us who don’t have access to international groceries (or even places like Whole Foods) to adapt the recipes. You can see the recipe they have here, though it does require a free login. I love their recipes though… and for the curry the spices are just well the flavors of the veggies helps, but curry powder and garam masala.

they also have a great adaptation of hot and sour soup… well I like it, at least. :slight_smile:

Well, so, I love cooking. A lot. And eating the food I make. And pushing the food I make on my friends and family.

My spouse’s first American Thanksgiving is coming up… and I am very excited, as you might imagine.

So I thought I’d throw the question out there - what are your favorite holiday dishes (not necessarily Thanksgiving, even)? What are your least favorite dishes? What do you eat when?

For example, my family does a tapas thing on Christmas Eve, and honey baked Ham for Christmas Day. And lamb for Easter. And I don’t eat turkey, so when spouse and I have our first Thanksgiving just the 2 of us (we’re going to be with family so this year it’s not an issue) I probably will not make a turkey. And my favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving is the stuffing.

So, tell me. What do you eat for holidays?

OooOOo…food thread!!! Yay! rubs hands together in glee

This year will be our first thanksgiving with family coming to our house…possibly some friends too. Not a lot of people, but significant as the first. Last year it was just the two of us and one friend. Hubby makes the turkey and his special mac and cheese, I do the rest.

I have some odd ethics surrounding food, suffice to say, and holidays just make it complicated. Last year we were able to get a local organic turkey for a decent price, but this year probably not, since my idea of a decent price has changed drastically. The good side of this is I get to make all the sides, so I can ensure I’m satisfied without the turkey. I also get to sneak in things that are a little bit healthier than the traditional in DH’s family green bean casserole and corn drenched in butter. But I have to be careful to not go ^too^ far away from the typical too quickly. One year I brought a vegan shepherd’s pie that was wonderful, but since I said the “V” word, no one would even try it.

Dessert first! My bar none most requested item is the gingerbread apple pie from Vegan With a Vengeance. I’m required to bring one or two to every holiday gathering. The bonus is that it’s incredibly easy! So so good…I’m drooling just thinking about it.

For sides I know I’m doing roasted garlic mashed potatoes with olive oil. Probably also braised kale with mushrooms. Maybe an onion tart.

I’m looking for a good vegetarian stuffing recipe…no mixes! blech

See, I lurve turkey…but it has to be done right, as in made by my husband. He brines the turkey! It is the most delicious turkey you will ever eat. I soooo look forward to it every single Thanksgiving!

I make this butternut squash recipe I found online when I didn’t know how to cook butternut (or any other of its kind) squash.

cubed butternut (now I just get a med or 1/2 large)
cubed tart apple (any kind, little bit less than squash amount)
chunky cut whole med/lg onion
coat all in casserole dish with evoo
add brown sugar (enough to coat)
tiny bit of nutmeg

I think that’s it. It’s the standard request at family gatherings and parties.

Easy, too! Even the veggie-haters love it!

Doesn’t sound like it should be too hard…

You looking for traditional? (like what the evil boxes are based on), you know, bread, mirepoix, stock, poultry spices and a binder (the binder might be the hitch… do you do eggs?)…

Rustic? (Maybe cornmeal or even cracker based?, dried fruit?, chestnuts? Garlic?)

Further? I’d say just go for it.

I love shaking it up with a creative one every thanksgiving. (as an optional stuffing on the side–some people can’t live without tradition) What I’m toying with in my head right now is maybe a crouton and wild rice base with dried mushrooms, parm, onion, garlic, wine, a tyme-ie sausage (I’m guessing not something you’d do, but what do I know?) and a finish with truffle oil. Maybe could use a tiny bit of green? Pinch of Nutmeg? Still brainstorming.

Oh, and btw, welcome!
Glad you found us.

Man…
First the candy thread, and now this!
GWC is making me hun-gry!

(Am I mis-remembering, or wasn’t there a recipes thread in hobbies or something?)

Yup. :smiley: Threads merged for your convenience.