FSL 2.0 Challenge 3: You got to know when to hold 'em

The Centauri!! I wonder how many people got that. Nice job, Sithwitch.

That’s just frakkin cool.

BWHAHAHAHA!!!

spleen burst

With a theme tune…BRAVO!!

I love the Nazul bits. Planet Bob is very popular.

Wow! Just wow. Welcome aboard, WookieeJedi!

Craaaap! You are too quick. crumples yellowpad grumble grumble Oh well, at this point, it’s too late. I’ll have to go with what I got. The deadline is tomorrow.

giggle

Audra and Cinnamon Rolls? That’s just unfair. Well, I think I might have you beat for Shameless GWC plug of the week.

I know Sean said the Sun is gone and can’t come back but I like where this is going.

Toonces the Driving Cat. The Cat who could drive a car. He drives around all over the town. Toonces the Driving Cat! /'talos sings

That made me LOL!

Love that!

Oh, great; now we have a new pantheon of Gods…

Talos is playing the ‘God Card’ is he? This is a whole new level of scheming and conniving, I commend you sir!:wink:

That last part scares me though… The whole ‘penetrates us’ bit unsettles me, I don’t think I want to be pentrated by Sean. :eek: IYKWIM

Team Wild

Pilot/Driver: Maj Don West (Lost in Space)
Short Bio: Academy Grad, Natural Pilot (Earth’s best), Excellent Driver, Loves Cars, Competitive Athlete in Contact Sports, Boxer, Decorated War Vet, Witty One-Liners, Jupiter 2 pilot (w/ Pod and Chariot), Rescues “Blarp”
http://alphacontrol.org/wiki/index.php?title=Don_West

Tech Expert: Louis Nichols (Robotech)
Short Bio: Formerly Corporal 15th ATAC Southern Cross Military Forces, Half-Punk Half-Nerd, Genius, Soldier, Hovertank Mech Driver/Operator, Inventor (Pupil Pistol), Founder of Cybernetics (Matrix-Like cyber interface)
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/characters/viewcharacter.php?id=33
http://www.karpar.com/robotech/index.php/Louie_Nichols
“The End of The Circle” Jack McKinney

Recon Expert: Laura Croft (Tomb Raider)
Short Bio: Adventurer, Military Trained, 11th Generation Countess, Tomb Raider, Rides Motorcycles (Prefers Ducati’s), Wears Tight Clothes
http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Lara_Croft

Martial Artist: Xena: The Warrior Princess
Short Bio: Martial Artist expert, Broadsword & Chakram expert, Warrior looking for redemption.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xena
http://whoosh.org/issue22/plunket1.html#when

Challenge 3: Find us a new home!
(Brought to you by the Imagination of Shooter Jr)

As Team Wild watches the recorded video briefing fade off the screen in the GWC briefing room, they reflect on the predicament we Earthlings find ourselves in and the mission Emperor Sean O’Hara and Empress Shannon O’Hara have bestowed on them. While the mission is somewhat similar to Maj West and Dr. Nichols’ experience, it takes some time for the severity to settle in on Lady Croft and Xena. Fortunately, however, Team Wild is comprised of professionals (Don’t try this at home kids), and Dr. Nichols quickly rises to the challenge.

Not wanting the saga to turn into a Space: 1999 epic and not being able to fit all of humanity on board the ancient’s ship Destiny while a suitable planet was located, Louis offers a start to their solution, “I’m quite sure I can use the sensors on board the Starship of the Imagination to find the nearest suitable planet.”

Xena, having comes to terms with the situation, notes a severe shortcoming among the team and has an idea. “When we arrive at the planet that Dr. Nichols will locate, I suggest we bring along an experienced negotiator so we can do some investigating to make sure it is a good fit for humanity. I suggest we bring Gabriel with us. While she is acting on behalf of planet Earth, we can ensure there is nothing hidden behind the curtain.”

All heartily agree. Dr. Nichols locates a suitable planet and Team Wild (plus Gabriel) finds themselves instantly transported into orbit onboard the Starship of the Imagination piloted by Maj West. The planet looks perfect – just like Earth before the disastrous card game. After making contact with the local authorities of planet Erf, Maj West accompanies Gabriel to begin the negations of adding an additional 6 billion Earthings to Erf. Meanwhile, Xena and Lara team up for a little look around the planet with Dr. Nichols searches the local computer databases.

Louis, using his matrix style computer brain plug, happens upon the digital records of a company called the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. Those records include some strange memos regarding a ship called the Nostromo and planet LV-426. After explaining this to Lady Croft, Lara uses some of her Royal Marine background to speak to personnel in Erf’s United States Colonial Marines and learns some even more interesting news about a Conestoga-class starship named the Sulaco that was recently dispatched to LV-426. Louis and Lara both confer with Xena who then finds an Ellen Ripley on board Gateway station. Ripley’s tale is so troubling to Xena that after telling Dr. Nichols, he continues his electronic search into the Weyland-Yutani Corporation records to find that one of these creature’s “eggs” was indeed transported back to Erf. Having an ominous viewpoint of what was about to happen to Erf, Team Wild decides that it needs to find another answer and that this planet just wouldn’t do.

Once Maj West brings Gabriel back to the Starship of the Imagination the group brings everyone up to speed (fortunately, Gabriel did not cause an interstellar incident and the governing bodies of Erf were still receptive to Earthings coming to live with them). Maj West mentions that he ran into a small group on the planet led by Professor Sam Tucker and Captain Joseph Korso. They had mentioned that they were concerned with something about a planet called LV-426 to him and another alien race called the Drej. Maj West must have made a favorable impression on the group based on his past experiences of trying to find a new home because Prof Tucker and Korso mentioned something about a Project Titan and wanted to know if Team Wild and Earth would like to join them. All of Team Wild thought it was a good idea and immediately launched to the Andali Nebula.

Once there, Dr. Tucker’s son Cale is able to initiate the Titan to create a new planet for the Project Titan group and the Earth’s population to enjoy. Cale names it “Planet Bob” in one of the most meaningless planet naming processes ever. Earth’s population was moved to Planet Bob by the Spacing Guild and we were all able to enjoy a new life. Emperor and Empress O’Hara were very pleased with how things had turned out and planned to use Team Wild in the future if needed. They were last seen on the balcony of their new palace, holding their daughter, Princess Squeaker in their arms and smiling while looking into the new sun.

Epilogue: A few years later word got back to Planet Bob that some enormous battle occurred in Erf space between the inhabitants of Erf, the Drej and the Aliens leaving no survivors. Erf was left a nuclear waste. No one seemed to care, though, because Planet Bob had become their new home. There was, however, mention that 5 of Erf’s inhabitants managed to escape by some sort of downloading process to cloned bodies. There was no mention of where those 5 individuals had gone.

It’s not as bad as it sounds. He uses power tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithwitch
[ Pictures of Searth, with its multiple climates and burgeoning cities and very Earth-like atmosphere. Scratched out caption underneath: Planet Bob. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross
“My name’s Cale. Welcome to Planet Bob”

Well Laugh My Sorry Barb Off! Jr and I did NOT read any of the solutions bfore posting ours. I’m so glad others think well of Planet Bob and Titan AE. For some reason we just LOVE that movie and had to find a way to work it into our solution. We spend most of the trip from Ohio to Wisconsin outling our story and flushed it out some more over the last few days. My hat is totally off to Sitwitch and Albatross. You guys RAWK!!!

Power tools and shafts…the man is a genius.

Nicely done, although Zeus is gonna be pissed. :eek:

*godhood, y’all! godhood. I’m sure to win this week. rubs hands menacingly

Damn it! You stole my idea! Before I had it, even! :mad::smiley:

[quote=“Shooter,post:45,topic:11245”]

Well Laugh My Sorry Barb Off! Jr and I did NOT read any of the solutions bfore posting ours. I’m so glad others think well of Planet Bob and Titan AE. For some reason we just LOVE that movie and had to find a way to work it into our solution. We spend most of the trip from Ohio to Wisconsin outling our story and flushed it out some more over the last few days. My hat is totally off to Sitwitch and Albatross. You guys RAWK!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah. Hivemind is in full effect!

Why? How do we know that Zeus isn’t with the 6 billion? /Scotty brogue

Ow! Time thot paradox hurts me head.

Also, Jr and I had to put Cale into the story as a hat tip to my nephew/godson (Cale) who is here at the lake with us. He is just one y/o, but he has a life of geekdom ahead of him.

“…any return to Kobol would carry with it a cost in blood.”

Of course, with Kirk around, Zeus won’t be an issue for long. :eek:

Hehe…Glad to see the Hive Mind at work! :smiley:

I meant that Spock used the Genesis Device to create Kobol. Did that not come across? In the timeline this would be before any of the events in BSG.

I thot that’s where you were going with it when you brought in the Drs. Marcus, but the end made me think they had hopped to the BSG-verse.

So, if I’m understanding correctly, technology from Earth’s 23rd century created Kobol, which was then populated with the current residents of Earth, who were eventually kicked off the planet by Zeus, leading to the founding of the colonies, the wars with the Cylon(z), and the eventual colonization of Earth in the distant past?

Ouch. My head hurts now. :eek:

You got it. fraggledance

FSL 2.0 Challenge 3: You got to know when to hold 'em

Team Devastron

With Wheeljack staying behind on Earth to work up a back up plan in his lab, the rest of the team takes off in the Starship of the Imagination. Wedge is at the helm while Luke navigates, using the force to help guide them to a suitable world. Wolverine is used to scout out the worlds, since he can survive any environment and heal from any wound. What follows are reports from the crew on the worlds visited.

Ship’s Log, Luke Skywalker recording: The first world the force guided us to seemed promising. It teemed with life the likes of which I haven’t sensed anywhere else in the galaxy. Wolverine’s report was promising. He described it as a ‘cross between an MC Escher painting and a Saturday morning cartoon,’ with floating land masses and waterfalls coming from nowhere. I took this to be a positive description. The natives, who he described as ‘giant smurfs,’ appeared to be friendly, if a bit protective and suspicious of outsiders. I felt we could negotiate with them. Unfortunately Logan forgot to mention that the atmosphere was unbreathable to normal humans. Part of me suspects he did that on purpose just to see me flail around on the planet until I got back inside the ship. Hopefully the force will be with us on the next planet….

Ship’s Log, Wedge Antilles recording: I’m starting to think the force just isn’t with us this time. Not that I ever actually needed it myself, but Luke’s pretty big on it. We arrived on another world; this time making sure the air was breathable. It was a little thin and arid. I think it reminded Luke of Tatooine which seemed to make him happy. It mostly made me sweat. Anyway, it was populated by a near human species called ‘Vulcans,’ just don’t use the term ‘near-human’ with them as they find it very insulting. Anyway it seemed that things would work out perfect until they flat out refused to help us. Something about non-interference being a directive they held Prime or something. Frankly these guys all seemed way too serious and official for my liking. Round off those ears and slap some uniforms on ‘em and they would look at home aboard and Imperial Star destroyer. Oh well, off to the next planet…

Ship’s Log, Logan recording: Don’t know why I’m recordin’ this, but the kid with the laser sword insisted. We went to the next planet, if you can call it that. It was more like a heap of trash that had collected together in space, but it had an atmosphere, although the smell of garbage was almost overpowering. I go down to check it out and what do I find but a giant robot with facial hair ridin’ a motorcycle, and that’s just the start. The robot starts spouting some jibberish at me, soundin’ like a bad infomercial. I remember something our own giant robot told me before we left and not knowing what else to do, I go with it. I walk up to him and say “Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong, bub.” Apparently that was the right thing to do as hundreds of the weirdos pop up out of the trash and start repeating it and dancing around. The damndest thing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot. In fact, I think I deserve a damn beer for all of that. Should be a fridge around here somewhere…

It doesn’t take too long for the crew to realize that the native Junkions are speaking ‘TV.’ A quick jaunt back to Earth, which is quickly being evacuated, to pick up various television experts located through messageboards, quickly solves the language barrier. They explain to the Junkions that they have assembled ‘a ragtag, fugitive fleet, fleeing the Cylon tyranny from the Earth that was, hoping the next leap will be the leap to a new home.” The Junkions instantly understand and, also recognizing humanity as the source of their language and culture, agree to provide them with shelter on their world and any assistance they need.

The Earth is evacuated, but during this time Wheeljack has been hard at work constructing a massive space bridge to teleport the Earth to a new star system. With the help of the Junkions the other end of the bridge is created on their planet and Earth is teleported to the other system. The trip is difficult and Earth suffers some significant damage. Fortunately the Junkions are born salvagers and help repair the planet while humanity slowly resettles on it from the Junkion homeworld. Once Earth is resettled a massive party is thrown with much dancing to Weird Al music while the Junkion homeworld is Earth’s new moon.

So to sum up

1. Take the ship and look for a new planet, Luke using the force to navigate, Wedge piloting and Wolverine scouting worlds.

2. Make contact with Junkions

3. Bring various TV junkies gathered from the internet on Earth to communicate with the Junkions and gain their help.

4. Settle humanity on the Junkion homeworld.

5. Wheeljack teleports Earth to a new star system via space bridge.

6. Junkions help to fix up and resettle Earth.

7.  Party down to Weird Al concert.

TEAM CASILDA: Helva (The Ship who Sang), Baltar, Garak, and Leeloo

Having safely disposed of one supreme spherical battle station, Team Casilda looks to head back to Earth. “That Talat job went pretty well, maybe we can find more work around those parts,” suggested Helva as she made herself comfortable again aboard the LH-834. However, she was in for a surprise upon arrival at what they thought was Earth.

“My giddy aunt, not again!” Baltar groaned to himself before looking around with wild eyes. Even Garak looked disturbed; “Are you completely sure you brought us to the correct system, Helva?”

“Yes,” she snapped. “There may be no sun, but there’s a ball that looks like the planet-formerly-known-as Earth.” Helva moved the ship in for a landing as they received a distress call. Garak, sensing opportunity, moved in to receive and respond to the communication.

“There’s something off about this,” Baltar declared as he sipped his Champurrado, “is your chef having an off day?”

Their contact glared at him… “My God man, where have you been? You know there is no cinnamon left on Earth, right?”

At the team’s blank look, their contact continued. “To help us find a new home, the Spacing Guild has required and extortionate amount of spice, which insofar as we can tell, is limited to cinnamon. The world is, of course, suffering from the lack of depth in any number of dishes, and come December we’ll have to do a complete overhaul of Christmas cuisine, but it’s well worth the opportunity to find a new home. And that’s where we need you.”

Looking over the group, their contact plunged ahead. “You four are much more familiar with our astronomical neighborhood than any of our governmental or non-governmental organizations, so we’d like you to spearhead our search for a new place to live.”

“So, you’re out for conquest?” Garak looked as if he understood that motive quite well, while Leeloo looked uncomfortable.

The contact shared Leeloo’s discomfort. “Er, we don’t want to call it that, I mean, of course we don’t want to repeat the errors of our ancestors, but we do need some form of light, or humanity will die out. And humanity can’t die out. It’s really more of an effort to find a planet willing to power-share with us. I’m sure it will be in the best interests of everyone involved.” Contracts were signed, hands were shaken, and Team Casilda headed out into the wilds of space in search of a new home for humanity.

Helva was both amazed and disgruntled. Who were these pilots, who assumed you needed to drug yourself to be capable? However, nothing could get in the way of her wonder at the Spaceship of the Imagination. Billions and billions of stars… all in reach. That alone made up for the annoyance of those hopped-up pilots.

“From the survey data I would recommend that we at least visit this desert-like planet. Besides which, the Spacing Guild have hopes for finding more of their “spice” here.” Baltar looked as if he had more to say, but instead returned to the charts. “Who would like to go in the landing party?”

It was decided that Helva alone would remain with the ship (and she was more than pleased to be allowed even more time to learn about it) while the rest of the team traveled to the unknown desert planet. They were, however, unpleasantly surprised and returned quickly from the planet.

“What, back so soon?” Helva distractedly said to them as they returned, happy to kick the dust from their boots. “What did you find back there?”

“It is best not to inquire,” Garak grumbled, while Baltar uploaded surveillance footage, a still of which is reproduced below:

Well, onward.

“These people know what we are thinking,” Leeloo said out loud as the away team met with a delegation from the local government under the chill red sun. Their leader looked not the least apologetic.

“A century ago, people from your world brought us great trouble. Though we are of the same blood, we cannot accept your offer. Over the thousands of years that our societies have developed separately, we have evolved independently; from our recent history, we prefer to keep to ourselves. Besides which, our planet’s ecology cannot support the number of settlers you are talking about. If it were but a small percentage of the total, perhaps they could be integrated into our society. But billions of people? Darkover cannot support so many. I am sorry.”

The Starship of the Imagination reluctantly left behind humanity’s brothers and sisters on the world the Spacing Guild had mapped as “Cottman IV.”

“As you can see, we are having political issues of our own with the Atevi,” explained the Paidhi, a human designated to translate, insofar as he (in this case, he) between the various cultures present on the planet below them. Aboard the orbiting space station, Garak was listening to the man while Leeloo compared notes with his security; Baltar cared only for work on some unknown research project and interacted with other beings only for food or information. “What with the Mospheirans, the various Atevi factions, the ship humans, and an impending visit from our galactic neighbors the Kyo, one does not think it would be the best moment to propose something of this magnitude.”

The Paidhi Bren Cameron paused a moment before continuing. “One regrets to hear of Earth’s troubles; the ancestors of our Spacing Guild members would have been thrilled to know of its location once more. However, as things stand, one does believe it would be the best course of action to maintain contact, but to limit physical exchanges insofar as possible.” The older Atevi woman quietly observing this exchange stood suddenly, supporting herself on her cane.

“Aiji dowager, please,” the Paidhi turned to her as Garak bowed deeply and expressed Team Casilda’s thanks for their consideration of the situation, and intention for further diplomatic conversations.

As he and Leeloo left the space station to return to their ship, Leeloo remarked to Helva, “well, no planet for the Earthicans. But I learned quite a bit.”

“Aha!” Baltar looked like a cat who had been into the cream. “I’ve got it!”

“A planet?” Leeloo looked at him skeptically.

“Well, yes, but more importantly, a cinnamon substitute! I can have a good warm champurrado once we get this business settled,” Baltar seemed blithely unaware of the disgust of the rest of the group.

“The planet, Baltar,” Helva prompted the absent-minded scientist.

“Oh, yes. Well, it’s quite an interesting system, as you notice, there are two masses suitable for human habitation, which the natives call Urras and its semi-arid moon Anarres. I’ve already asked Helva to send along the information packet that we prepared and we are currently awaiting a response, is that right?”

“Yes, and I’ve got a good feeling about this.” Helva sounded positively cheerful. All this traveling around with disregard for the laws of physics was starting to get to her head. “From the information that they have transmitted to us, there is enough political and ecological variety that humanity should be able to adapt to any number of different ways of life. It all depends on their answers, however. Urras has warned me that Anarres is somewhat anarchic, while Anarres warns me that Urras doesn’t recognize freedom.” She paused. “Both, however, seem to be pleased with the idea of a new factor in their political lives. Well, generally.” A note of worry crept into her voice. “This Thu political entity does not seem as pleased as the Anarresti, or A-lo. We must wait.”

[insert montage of waiting!]

“At last! We have a home for Earth. The Anarresti are going to contact the Earthicans via use of a machine they call an ansible, really quite amazing. We’ll make a quick run in the Spaceship of Imagination to pick up Earth’s population, and then it’s up to the Earthicans to make a place for themselves in their new worlds.” Helva smiled while the rest of the team looked tired but pleased. Baltar chose that moment to make some champurrado for everyone.

“A spice substitute, you say?” One of the members of the Spacing Guild wandered towards the doorway as if to enter the room, but Helva promptly closed the door. She was a Brainship in the Spaceship of Imagination, after all.

Bare bones version:
Helva’s fascinated by the ship and trying to learn as much as she can. Baltar’s surveying many planets, but also working on a suitable cinnamon substitute to maintain his quality of life. Leeloo and Garak are the public face of the Earthican effort to find a new home. While they have come into contact with any number of planets that have human (or humanoid) residents, for various reasons none of them have worked out. An unknown desert planet proved too hostile for habitation; Darkover’s ecology was too fragile to support a larger population; the political situation in the Foreigner universe didn’t allow for any new human settlers, much less over 6 billion of them. At last, we reach the Tau Ceti system, and between Urras and its moon Anarres, two dramatically different social structures (and ecologies) have bent enough to allow for permanent settlement of humanity.

Team Camera Obscura - Aces and Billiards - Conclusion

As the shuttle Druyan pulled away from the Sagan (what Lazarus had renamed the Ship Of The Imagination), Friday watch it vanish into the void of space. What would happen to it would have to wait as she approached the Fleet Of Worlds with Lee. Very few sentient beings have seen this spectacle, the Puppeteers careful to avoid inhabited systems so as not to be detected. Five worlds in a pentagonal formation, with a red giant at the center, ahead of them a small ship towing them all at 0.8c. It was that small ship that she and Lee were headed to. The Druyan had all the same properties of the Sagan and approached the fast moving ship with ease undetected.

Extending one of it protrusions the Druyan penetrated the General Products hull of the Klemperer Drive Ship. The interior of the Klemperer was a warren of smooth curved surfaces, not a single sharp turn or angle could be found. Quickly making it to the control room they looked in. Ten Puppeteers manned the Klemperer, with one at the control panel giving orders to the other. Lee singled him out and moved in to disable him. As Lee rushed to commander Friday turned the corner, firing rounds up into the ceiling. The vast majority of the Puppeteers fell to the ground at this, curling up into balls, with the exception of the Commander. He turned quickly kicking at Lee with his single hind leg. Lee easily avoided it, hoping onto the Puppeteer’s back and punching it at the union of it’s two necks, knocking the commander unconscious.

Friday quickly went over the flight controls of the Klemperer. Flying the ship would be easy enough, activating and running the towing lattice was another matter. “We are taking this ship. I will however return it to you, if you assist us. If you do not, I will strand your home worlds here, leaving your species to die when this galaxy finally explodes.” Friday spoke to the Puppeteer crew. One lone Puppeteer stuck out his head from the fetal position he cowered in. “What is it that we must do?”

Soon the Klemperer, with the Druyan still attached, approached Sirius B. A faint energy lattice formed around the white dwarf and then in an instance it and the Klemperer vanish into hyperspace.

An uneasy silence hung between Nemo and Lazarus as they approached Epsilon Indi. One of Nemo's crew succumbed to the Tree of Life root. His transformation to a Pak Protector cost the lives of three other crewmen before he was finally put down. Nemo mourned them all. The crew of the Nautilus were like his children, each man precious to him. "I've never seen anything like that Lazarus." Nemo continued the approach, landing just outside the Capitol, the Guild representatives nearby. Lazarus said nothing about the incident to Nemo. "Let's just get this over with" is all he could muster.

On the tarmac Lazarus discussed the transfer, and quickly, the supplies of "cinnamon" were transfered. As the Guild ships rose off the ground heading to the Highliners above, Lazarus turned to Nemo. "You know what you must do next. I'll see you in a few hours." He turned away and headed to the casino. Looking back he saw the Sagan rise, then vanish.

Melange was essential to members of the Guild. It allowed navigators to fold space, and extended the lifespan of all members. As a consequence, it was used in heavy quantities by the Guild. As the shipment arrived from the Sagan, it was quickly pressed into service. 80 percent went into the chambers of the Navigators, the rest misted throughout the crew quarters of the ship. The results were catastrophic. The negotiators were beyond the age of safe transformation into Protectors, the stress of the transformation causing painful and twisted death.

The Navigators however, transformed by the extended exposure to Melange were able to survive the physical transformation caused by the vaporized root of the Tree Of Life. The fate that awaited them was madness. The mental transformation drove the Navigators insane. No longer able to focus their space folding abilities and driven into a mad homicidal rage, they lashed out with their folding abilities. It took only a few hours, and now the Mad Protector Navigators unleashed their rage.

Lazarus' luck had held out for him. In the few short hours after transferring the cargo, he managed to move up in tables at the Casino. He was the man who couldn't lose. By the time he reached the highest table, he had caught the attention of the Master Gambler. "Excuse me sir, but are you, Human?"

"Why yes, yes I am. My name is Lazarus Long."

"Ahhh, the famed head of The Howard Families Foundation. I am the master Gambler of this casino. Perhaps you have heard of my recent winning of your Sun."

"Why yes, I have. I was a bit surprised to hear that, since it's illegal to gamble away stars in inhabited systems"

"That it is, but the Humans didn't know this. They foolishly accepted the wager."

"So you took advantage of them."

"Only the advantage they allowed me Mr. Long. I'm here to allow you to win your Sun back."

"And what can I possibly have to wager against that sir?"

"Why the secret of your Foundation sir. The secret to immortality."

Lazarus smiled. Little did the Gambler know, that there was no secret to immortality. It was a Eugenics program that created Lazarus' extended life. He smiled at the Gambler "I'm sorry sir that is a wager far too rich for me."

"Oh Insist Mr. Long" said the Gambler, as his body guards drew pistols and pointed them at Lazarus. Lazarus of course paid them no attention, his curiosity absorbed by what transpired outside of the bay windows. A mountain range had just vanished, and reappeared a quarter mile above where they had been. The Navigators had gone insane. Looking back to the Gambler Lazarus simply smiled. "I love it when a plan comes together."

The tectonic shock from the mountains crashing back down into the ground shook the Casino violently, the wave front undulating the building in ways it was never designed to experience. In the confusion Lazarus escaped the building. The Gambler, getting back up order the planetary defenses activated and targeted the Guild Highliners, Lazarus' fate the last thing on his mind. The Navigators lashed out with their folding abilities against the Gambler world. Mountains, sea beds, rivers, all manner of asteroids and such were folded at the planet. As the defense ships approached some were folded into Epsilon Indi itself, while others had their stern folded into the forecastles of other ships. 

Still the weight of numbers began to overwhelm the Guild ships. Just as the tide began to turn, Nemo arrived. Instantaneously an armada of ships, each unique, arrived with the Sagan as it's vanguard. They opened fire immediately. The Gambler ships returned fire as best they could, the Langston Fields of the Motie ships expanding as they absorbed the energy received. Soon the entire planetary defense was committed, every resource battling the Guild and Motie armada. No one noticed the Sagan landing.

"Lazarus, it's good to see you are still alive!" Yelled Nemo over the howling wind from all the crazed confusion caused by the battle. "My idea worked it seems!" Replied Lazarus. 

"Perfectly. I simply created an artificial Alderson Point for them and connected it here. Once enough ships jumped through I cut the connection!"

"Well done your Highness! Now let's get off this planet before something bad happens!"

As the Sagan began to lift off, a hyperspace tunnel began opening just inside the orbit of the Gambler Homeworld. The Klemperer had arrived. Releasing Sirius B from the tow lattice, it hurled towards Epsilon Indi. Friday didn't wait to see the results, the tow ship jumping away.

The Gambler stood up from the rubble and looked skywards. The last thing he saw was an amazing Aurora.

EPILOGUE - 12 years later....

The Nautilus sat quietly on the calm sea. It was Summer here by Easter Island. "Have I missed it?" asked Friday of Lazarus while he lounged on the deck of Nemo's ship. 

"Not yet my dear, but I hope the full moon doesn't ruin the view". All four looked up, and very quickly, as if on queue, Epsilon Indi began to brighten, until it outshone every star in the night sky.

Actually he said no backsies - i.e. you could not ask for it back. There was nothing about actually stealing it back… :smiley:

Just some acknowledgments here…

Pierson’s Puppeteers, The Fleet Of Worlds, Tree Of Life Root, and Pak Protectors courtesy of Larry Niven’s Tales Of Known Space Series

The Moties courtesy of Jerry Pournelle’s CoDominion series - specifically the novel he and Larry Niven wrote with technical assistance from Robert Heinlien “The Mote In God’s Eye”