X-Men:First Class Trailer

The way I looked at it was going through what he did made him believe that one day the same thing would happen to mutants. Despite all his talk, he knows that mutants are basically a repressed minority, and that one day they too will be rounded up.

even if that’s the case, I don’t see why he has to break off from X. It’s not like Charles would just let humans round them up. What should have happened is working towards getting along in the society, while preparing for if they do decide to round them up.

It’s like a nation should have both diplomate and army. Just having one is ridiculous. While Xavier is working to have both, Magneto just wants an army. That probably makes people want to round them up more.

I agree with you that Magneto is all about rescuing himself from any potential for future oppression. That’s why he’s a villain. I don’t think that it is entirely irrational–in the short term, his ideal world would work out well for him and for other mutants. From the self preservation point of view, it works.

It falls apart on the moral and ethical levels, of course. And I don’t think that if anyone had pointed out to Magneto the fundamental irony of his position on regular humans given his and the others’ suffering at the hands of the Nazis he would have changed his mind.

I think that Magneto’s position also fall apart when one considers the practical long-term effects. An oppressed majority that suffers at the hands of a small elite can be counted upon to rise up in revolution.

Finally, I see (and I suspect Casilda might back me up if she reads this thread) Magneto’s fundamental ethical dilemma as reflective of real life behaviors that are all around us. Just 2 U.S.-centric examples:
[ul]
[li]Although we are a nation of immigrants, we have some serious anti-immigrant sentiment that can’t be fully explained away through the rationale of “they are illegal aliens and my ancestors came through Ellis Island like they were supposed to!”
[/li][li]We have highly active political communities working for racial equality and LGBTQ equality. Activists and casual members of these communities alike often fail to see how truly similar their challenges and movement goals are. Usually this means invisibilty of LGBTQ people of color, to the detriment of all of us. It also sometimes means outright scorn/disdain for members of one group by members of another.
[/li][/ul]

So while it’s sad and messed up, I don’t think it’s unrealistic. Magneto is just a stylized reflection of the fatal flaws that we all have to suffer through.

Well there was great series of comics on magnito’s time in the concentration camps. It is different than the movie. But well worth your time.

But in general, I simply think magnito is terrified of it happening to him again. He was powerless before, rounded up, but now he’s gonna fight attack and kill, beforehand. To make sure it doesn’t happen to those he cares for. But read the comics on the time. I wouldn’t dream of spoiling it, but the dichotomy you see in his character, is beautifully addressed.

Due to the fact that they made such a point of Shaw being older and more frail when first introduced in the camp laboratory, and then much younger when we see him again latter in the film I can only conclude that he found a way to alter his genetic makeup via his experiments on Eric. In fact Shaw mentions once that his power allows him to stay youthful.

What Eric took away from the Nazis was that humans suck and will do bad things. His Mutant Superiority agenda is based on Mutants being better than humans not just genetically but in action as well.

Overall the movie was just great it did a very good job of mixing fun with serious, strangley enough a little austin powers, worked really well. Characters were well developed and it just didn’t focus on powers. The best of the series, By far. And a truly great cameo for wolverine.

so, in the comics, is Xavier supposed to be british? I mean he does live in the US since a kid no? What’s with the british accents in the movies?

Finally I also got to see it (thank you simultaneous world-wide release dates).

Although I’m no big X-Men fan, I remember the day about 18 months ago when the casting of Fassbender and McAvoy was announced.
Overall it was much better than I expected. Although it didn’t get me as emotional as some LOST episodes, there were many scenes I got goosebumps. McAvoy and especially Fassbender acted very believable and now I even sympathize a bit with Magneto’s world view. The film dragged in some parts but I’m happy that the running time went slower than during some other movies. The German was correct (recognized a local actor who got stabbed by Erik in Argentina) and was happy how the Mystique/Magneto relationship started to develop.

He studied many years in Oxford, so maybe he picked up that British accent there. Dunno why else.

As far as I remember, Mystique looked up to Magneto in the previous movies and he cares (up to a point) more for her than the other Mutants.

I just love the hand gestures Erik makes to control metal.
Best scene: Erik and Charles meeting him in a bar in the middle of the movie. :smiley:

Hilarious comic strips making fun of Xmen First Class. All in good fun, from someone who is obviously a fan. Watch out for spoilers if you haven’t seen it.

http://gingerhaze.tumblr.com/tagged/X-Men%3A_First_Class

Those are awesome!

If you want to see epic Super Hero movie parodies you need to see this guy. he’s a fraking genius!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reQL5TU9VFA

First of all, I loved watching Erik Lensherr get his revenge. I was watching a YouTube interview with Michael Fassbender where the interviewer revealed that the movie was originally supposed to be a Magneto: Origins story - heck, even Michael didn’t realise that!

Watching the movie, I get the impression that he was not only Shaw’s lab-rat, but he was also trained as a assassin or spy of some sort?

Lastly, I did some digging and found out that Michael played that Spartan who climbed up a rock and hacked off the arm of a Persian commander in 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope I didn’t spill any spoilers ; I reckon the general gist of the story is common knowledge by now ?

naw, the movie is probably off the major movie theatre by now.

Well, it IS a summer action flick; when do the summer holidays end?

On the whole accent thing - I’ve had the same thoughts on the Osbournes too. Are they holding one or two passports? Which one is it?

Also, James McAvoy is a Scottish actor (who’s probably chums with Gerard Butler - that’s one degree of Michael Fassbender for ya!) so that South London accent is probably something he had to work on too.

hmm, does Picard Xavier have “south London” accent as well? I always thought Patrick Stewart had an Shakespearean accent (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art Accent) when ever he is simply acting, or even getting an interview. I don’t recall him having a south London accent. Maybe a Scottish accent when he is playing one. I bet most people never heard Patrick Stewart speaking in his actual accent.

South London accent actually seems like a rather easy to mimic for most in the UK. But the fact that a Scottish actor chose to use a south London accent for Xavier seems planned. So, perhaps Xavier is supposed to have a British accent?

ok, i saw a better explanation for Xavier’s accent. Someone said it isn’t a British accent, but a mid 20th century snobbish American east-coast upper class accent (Mid-Atlantic English). Kid of like the one spoken by Sharon in the original Parent Trap movie.

well… in that case it was just James McAvoy doing a poor Mid-Atlantic English, because he sounds like he’s from South London…

Could that be a Boston Brahmin accent? I’m not familiar enough with English accents to know if it’s a close match for South London.

well, i listened to a couple Boston Brahmin accent vids, they do sound very English. I guess the idea is the same. Back then more upper class east coast Americans had accents that retained more English accent features.

I am sure someone knows what American accent is most similar to what James McAvoy was doing in the film. I might not have the ear for it.

Though remembering what James McAvoy sounded like on the Craig Ferguson show, I am very impressed he can pull all sorts of English accents.