X-Men:First Class Trailer

I figured the Comics thread was as good a place as any for this.

It looks very interesting though. I was trying to remember how i felt when i had seen the trailers for the other X-men movies.

http://io9.com/#!5757374/smouldering-first-trailer-for-x+men-first-class-tells-the-real-story-of-the-cuban-missile-crisis

Well, I’m excited. I know a lot people out on the internet are skeptical about this movie based on the previous X-Men installments but this just looks sweet. It will be cool to get to see some new characters.

From the ashes of Ratner and Hood comes Matthew Vaughn with a more nuanced and intense X-Men expirience. This trailer makes me believe we’re going to get not just what we want in an X-Men film, but what we have been hoping for to begin with.

Burton did what he could with Batman, but it took a more nuanced eye to realize the potential. I have a strong vibe that we are about to see the same kind of revamp in one of the best comic book sagas ever.

Big thumbs up here. Brian Singer returns to write, and Mathew Vaugn to direct. Could not think of a better combo.

That actually looked really good. Maybe there is some life left in that franchise yet!

I’m really happy to see that they’re playing up the rivalry between Magneto and Prof. X rather than what I was afraid of (teen drama x-men). Plus, that last Magneto scene reminds me of Vader’s apprentice; so, that’s badass.

I thought this trailer was awesome. Michael F. said he wasn’t trying to channel or mimic Sir Ian when doing his performance, but I think I saw it some of the expressions he made in the trailer, which is a good thing. I was very skeptical about different actors playing X/Magneto after Sir Patrick and Sir Ian did such a phenomenal job. The floating submarine? Amazing. Magnetic powers to make a dude stab himself? Fantastic. Looks like they got Beast looking just right too.

I’m a fan of Kick-Ass, so, I have high hopes for Mr. Vaughan to make this movie shine.

That looks pretty sweet. James McEvoy is so darling. I can see him as a young Charles, for sure. Two things may bother me: (1) as a scholar of U.S.-Cuba relations I might have a hard time with the silly story frame. (2) it appears that they haven’t done much to properly style this like the 1960s. Oh well, I bet there will be enough awesome to at least go see it.

Oh, I am so there. Looks good, hope it is.

Someone help me with this : I know that Mystique is Nightcrawler’s mom. And after watching this movie, I hazard to guess that the patri est Azazael?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw X yesterday. Really, really liked it.

Question - was Shaw a born mutant? Or was he able to alter himself through his experiments on Erik (Magneto) as a boy)?

Can’t help you with an answer but sounds like a good guess.

That’s what my friend who’s the Marvel expert said, so I’d say that’s a safe yes there…I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of that movie… much much more then I did Thor…I can only hope and pray Green Lantern (which I’ve been waiting all my life for) delivers this good next week!

I’m surprised that Stan Lee didn’t make a cameo this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall them correctly, Stan hasn’t made a cameo in any of the X-Men movies.

ETA: Oh wait, he was the man watering his lawn in X-Men: Last Stand when Professor X and Magneto went to find Jean at her childhood home.

ETA: ooooo…double self-correction! He was a hot dog vendor in the original X-Men movie too.

watched it. it was awesome. seriously makes me wants to go back and watch the first 3 films to figure out how the relations established in this affected the way they interact later. since my poor memory has already forgotten how magneto later treats Mystique, or the way Mystique interacts with professor x.

i am not familiar with this version of Mystique’s origin, is it created just for this movie? or is this in some comics as well?

In fact, I enjoyed this origin a lot better…

fun, exciting, and touching, i really loved this episode. and frankly, even if professor x is a giant douche like Sean said back in the x-men arch, i kind of can see why in this origin story.

everyone he tries to help when he is being helpful and respectful turned on him and hurt him in many ways. i can see when he finally decides to just get the job done, and do his mindtricks without considering if the others’ wishes.

I really want to hear Sean’s views on this movie.

Also, if i was writing this story, since Sebastian Shaw said he gets younger and more powerful as he absorbs energy, I would have him absorb too much energy from the nuclear reactor and shrink in to a baby into the magneto helmet. And Erik would just pick up and helmet, look at him and say “this is too easy…”

Arflargle loved this movie so much. Even despite nitpicks (Darwin’s powers at one crucial moment, Angel Salvadore going from a not traditionally attractive survivor of abuse to a hot stripper, British actors playing British characters as American) I adore it. Magneto was great, Mystique was great, Beast was great, and I take back most of my complaining about Azazel being included at all because damn his scenes were cool.

If what I’ve been hearing was correct, Stan Lee didn’t cameo because it was largely filmed in England and I guess he doesn’t travel much these days?

I have plans every evening from tonight to Saturday night but I might have skip out on work early to make room for X-Men. I hear it’s awesomesauce.

i love Magneto in this movie…

i know why he is the bad guy, but still, this origin i can see why he sees the world the way he does. The moment he truly learned how to master his powers with Xavier’s help brings me to tears. And knowing that his true power comes from such a tender place is heart breaking.

he’s a total damaged inside bad boy hot shot… no wonder he’s the hotshot babe magnet. I actually want to see movies with Magneto as the protagonist.

I had more time to think, and I want to share my reflection on the Magneto story in First Class.

The entire Magneto identity is contradictory. Here is a Jewish young man who lived through NAZI concentration camps, and had his mother killed in front of him. Presumably his father died in the camp as well.

I’d imagine this experience will turn him away from using race and racial superiority as a determinant for the worthiness of survival. After all his people went through needless suffering just because some people decided that the Jewish people is a lesser race thus doesn’t deserve equal treatment as a full human beings.

Yet Magneto totally buys in the idea of his NAZI oppressors, and believes in the fact that mutants are the superior race, and to save themselves from the less evolved they must kill/rule over the less evolved.

That is hugely contradictory… I wonder why no one ever mentioned this to him and show him that his belief is the same as those NAZIs he hates. The words “never again” seems so short sighted and selfish coming out of Magnetos’ mouth. To him it’s all about himself not being oppressed again, if that means he will oppress others then so be it. When it should have been about ending oppression all together.

Just thought it was odd.