Worst idea EVERRRRR, Buffy sans Joss

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/05/new-buffy-movie.html

NOT cool

Heh. I know which websites you read :slight_smile:

And yeah, if there’s a reason for Hollywood to die, this is it.

yea i am not down with it. Perhaps they will come to their senses and bring on Joss. Or perhaps the production company will hear the epic outcry and take actions to fix it. I could be cool with it if they called it Slayer or something. Maybe set it in the Buffyverse. And perhaps made it with one of the Potential Slayers. But if its Buffy thats a big ole nono from this guy.

And with the success of True Blood and Twilight… it might work. And who knows… It’s a story about a vampire hunter… how can they really make it suck. I imagine they would have a moderatly attractive girl ( at least as hot as SMG) fight vampires while going to high school! Probably be as good as the one with Pee wee herman. Do they really need Joss Whedon? I mean they are just writeing a teen movie.I saw the original, it was a decent teen movie ( I was 18 and thought that it was worth my $5 and my dates). Write about a teen girl in school drealing with girl issues and fighting vampires. Simple right? I don’t see how they could f’ up a teen movie ( teen show) concept. I mean I guess someone could get mad because they had Buffy play vollyball intead of being a cheerleader… or have her date a different cute boy than JW had in canon ( substitue one teen drama concept for another) but I don’t think that they wil have her have diffent powers or the vampire to be anything other than vampires… cause that’s just not cost efficient. In the end… it’s just a teen movie based on a nother teen movie and a teen show. I am sure they don’t need JW to do that.

I think that they are chaseing the 14 year old girl dollar that made Twilight popular and they don’t care about about 32 year old grown men and women that made the Joss Wheedon’s teen show a cult classic among grown ups.

I can’t say I blame them, from a bussiness end. These kids will digest anything that you tell them… and a Joss W buffy continuation would mean that those little girls that were 2 when the series came out wouldn’t feel like they were walking into a “geek club”( my girlfriend’s take on trying to watch things like serinity, Terminator: SCC, or Clone Wars cartoon. The feeling that one has to rent 6 seasons worth of TV to be a part of the viewership) . These kids can feel like they are in on the ground floor. It doesn’t have to be good… it jsut has to be as good as twilight.

I know that sucks for the people that like Buffy and want a 35 year old Buffy in a movie. But can’t they jsut accept that BUFFY is a teen movie. They want to make a teen movie, they need to"revamp" the series. Make her a teenager again. I can’t imagine watching “Children of th damned” and they all be 30. I think they want to avoid a “Star Trek V” ( fat anked Uhurah included) . nobody wants to see a person named Buffy ( a stereotype name for a preppy cheerleader - it’s a satirical movie after all) being a
grown up, single mom, strugling with her journalism career while fighting vampires. Where’s the satire in that.

I saw the movie in college and thought of it as “just another date movie” not bad at all… but I didn’t buy the VHS copy or anything and didn’t see it again ( I would if I happend to run across it… but never did). I was too old for a high school show when the WB came out. But I know that it has an adult following that will loose their mind… but they have your dollar. They have no need to please you. You’ll buy their comics, novels’s and action figures. If they come out with a buffy blu ray… your gonna buy it! If this fails… they can always come back to you and make a movie that appeals to the smaller “niche” audience… and you’ll bite if they offer.

THey need these people’s money… and paying Joss Whedon isn’t a part of that bussiness equasion. If I was a bufffy fan I would be disappointed. But for once… I have no oppinion ( or emotions) tied to something on here so I thought I would chime in with an open mind and help make it make sense to some of the fans that are about to loose their minds. It’s not about you on this one… it’s about money. This is the same company that has ALWAYS owned Buffy… surely they want to make something good. ( or at least as tween worthy as the original)

These are the same people who made the Buffy movie which was a bastardization of Joss’ original idea. They took a great idea, ate it, and then crapped it out - and that steaming pile of poop was the Buffy movie. They had no direct involvement in the show except to put their name in the opening credits every week. As far as I am concerned the Buffy universe is Joss’ creation and they can’t make a “Buffy” movie without Joss.

I’m pretty sure if the move forward with this idea there will be protests.

It should be an interesting marketing campaign. If none of the fans will see it. Who will? I guess they’ll try and jump on the ‘Twilight’ bandwagon. Maybe it’ll be a darker, more gritty Buffy; played by Hugh Jackman.

many many many protests

LOL and well put, miss m! THAT should be the tagline: “Brought to you by the steaming pile of poop people”

Picturing the ad campaign:

“This is not your parent’s Buffy”
“Finally, a Buffy for everyone!”

That’s it, I’ll get the torches you get the pitchforks.

Now we’ll wait to see if a one in a million shot happens and the story actually works. But with the odds of that happening being … oh, one in a million … we’ll have to have some of the west coasters put us easties up for the mob riot we’ll have at the studio.

We’ll also need a good chant. Any ideas?

Do it and fry.
Do it and die.
Do it and find out why.

Give me a “B!”
Give me a “U!”
Give me a goddamn knife to kill you with, you worthless piece of shit!

Give me an “F!”

Catchy.

I am Pike’s untapped rage.

Buffy without Joss would be like Star Trek without Gene Roddenberry…(oh wait that worked.)

Ok it would be like Star Wars without George Lucas (oh, that would have been better.)

Ok it would be like BSG without Glen A Larson (oh, that was better to)

get Christopher Nolan to direct… and Hayden Panettiere as Buffy and a script by Ronald Moore… might be OK…

Yes I made up that line-up but it “could” be done with joss, but that does not mean it “should” be done without Joss…

I’ve heard Joss himself say at conventions that he always intended for Buffy to become kind of an iconic pop culture character that many different people could present their own takes on, and so far his only quote about this new project is, “I hope it’s cool.” So I’m going to keep and open mind and hope for the best. That said, it seems far too soon for a reboot, especially when there’s still such a rabid fan base with an appetite for the established Buffy-verse, with everybody still just young enough to reprise their roles (especially the “ageless” characters), and not a lot going on for any of them (sure Willow’s on that lame sitcom, but come on). If they’re smart they’ll at LEAST beg Joss to consult a little bit. Time will tell. If they butcher it I won’t be surprised.

I kind of hope they don’t try to redo Buffy, but instead choose to build onto the universe. I would be all for them following the adventures of some other slayer as long as it was well done. They should definitely try to bring Joss on board though.

So Say We All

Wasn’t that Van Helsing? :rolleyes:

I kinda agree with some of what you say except i really dont agree about Hayden. I very much dislike her. She is not a very good actor. i think if you are gonna stick with a blond it would be much better with Kristen Bell. She is a much better actor than Hayden and also has the ability to pull off sarcasm and snark. Plus she is much more attractive.

The thing is is that Joss did the show great the first time around whereas BSG wasn’t as good the first time around. I would be worried that they would try to dumb it down and make it more for the Highschool the Musical/Twilight Crowed.

Also Star Wars does work without Lucas. He only produced and did the story (not the script) for Eps 5 and 6 (which is what he is really good at) and does the same for the Clone Wars cartoons which is an awesome show. but i still really like the prequels.

i don’t thik she’s great either… just as good as Sarah Michelle Geller. Watch Cruel Intentions or any of those horror movies from the late 90’s or Scooby Doo. She isn’t anything to brag about.

If HP had a show that was 100% about her and get near SMG’s age ( you know in like 15 more years)… she would probably eventualy become as good an actrss as SMG.