Worst idea EVERRRRR, Buffy sans Joss

FromAin’t it Cool News

After news of a new, Whedon-free “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” movie was greeted by howls of outrage from fans of the franchise, the big-screen project’s producers did “ultimately reach out” to franchise mastermind Joss Whedon, Whedon reveals to Entertainment Weekly.

Busy with both “Cabin in the Woods” movie post-production and preparing a second season of “Dollhouse,” Whedon apparently indicated he had little or no interest in what is expected to be a reboot free of such beloved characters as Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Oz and Spike.

“I think that’s something better left untouched by me,” Whedon tells Entertainment Weekly. “So I wish them luck.”

An EW poll reveals that 3% of respondents would see a Whedon-free “Buffy.”

One wonders what percentage of EW readers were aboard when Paramount announced J.J. Abrams would be taking over the “Star Trek” franchise.

I love The “Buffy” TV series above all others, but I believe I’ll wait for the reviews before I consider seeing a new movie.

Umm just 3% of Fans would go and see Whedon-free “Buffy” well lets hope this movie dies in preproduction.

Too bad Whedon didn’t “reach back in return” – like Gaeta did when he “reached out” to Baltar, pen in hand. IYKWIM.

I’m not sure what movie you are calling the ‘Buffy movie’? Surely you don’t attribute the 1992 Kristy Swanson/Luke Perry “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” movie to Joss Whedon? Okay, you’re right-- I was wrong. I checked IMDB, and Joss is credited as the author.

I see that the producers frakked Joss version up. Yeesh. Is there some way I can Gibbs-smack* the producers retroactively?

(*a reference to the television show “NCIS”, where Mark Harmon’s character, Gibbs, would cuff Michael Weatherly’s character, Tony, on the back of the head when he said or did something stupid! Funny stuff!)

Exactly… it only makes sense to reboot if no one is interested in the original property anymore… and that’s not the case. Sounds about as good an idea as Larson wanting to make a BSG movie.

“I think that’s something better left untouched by me,” Whedon tells Entertainment Weekly. “So I wish them luck.”

Very diplomatic and polite of Joss, considering he’s dealing with people messing around with his original idea. Translation: “Yeah, right. If you wanna try, knock yourself out, frakkers. See how far you get.”

These days I fancy myself a more accepting and less hateful geek. That being said, I both cringed and laughed when I heard the announcement. Although I am willing to wait till I see a trailer (or hear some concrete news on this) before passing judgement, I cannot help but think about the kind of people who would tackle this particular project. Who would ‘reimagine’ a beloved franchise that hasn’t even been off the air for very long and still has spinoffs, in a climate where anything with a vampire veneer is making money? The answer to that question has to be a HACK.

I can only imagine the conversation that brought this about.

Hack #1: Hey, vampire stuff is sellin like hotcakes, amirite?

Hack #2: Yea, totally. Wait a minute, dont we own the rights to a vampire property?

Hack #1: Oh yea! That Joss thing, all those geeks still love that too.

Hack #2: Lets reimagine that and cash in on this whole vamp thing before the trend goes away. Even if it is terrible we can still make crazy money!

In my mind, during that fanciful enactment, the interchange finishes with a plethora of high fives.

ya thats really dumb and not needed, i think they should leave Buffy where it is. ESPECIALLY without Wheadon