What are you reading right now?

Screw that.

Savage Worlds is a much better system: Fast, Furious and Fun.:slight_smile:

How are you liking it?
I’ve been a fan of Gaiman’s since even before Sandman. I quite enjoyed the Anansi Boys audiobook (read by the BBC’s Chef), and recently also enjoyed listening to Prachett’s The Wee Free Men (sure easier than struggling through all that Scottish pronunciation).

Good Omens is actually a pretty enjoyable read, for a collaborative effort, IMHO. I was expecting it to be some sort of The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis) - meets - The Wish List (Eion Colfer), but thankfully, it resembled neither. Give it a go, it’s a quick read!

The Foundation

And re-reading The Da Vinci Code

Star Wars:Legacy of the Force: Revelation

and

Anatham by Neal Stephenson.

But i am reading the star wars book much faster because the other one is much to smart for me and requires my full attention.

Dungeon Of Death (It’s about how messed up wrestlers become)

Planetary Volumes 1-3 (Picking these apart is so much fun)

The Lost Diaries Of Adrian Mole (Ahhh, Britain)

Scud The Disposable Assassin: The Whole Shebang (Mmm, Mid-90’s)

The Gum Thief (Coupland by-the-numbers)

On The Edge (The autobiography of Richard Hammond)

Yes, all of them, but not all at the same time.

Wow… I need to get a life.

Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier. I really enjoyed the original Sevenwaters trilogy, mostly because the first book was a inspired by the Six Swans fairy tale. This new one is channeling a romance novel a bit too much for my taste, but the story is still engaging.

hey, you wanna start a book discussion on Tolkien’s other prequels? Like the Sillmarillon, Forgotten Tales, Leaf by Niggle, etc

I know what you mean. I was waiting for Sandworms to come out in paperback before I bought it, but ended up getting it as a free audiobook off of Audible. I’m now very glad that I didn’t spend any actual money on it. I usually don’t hate on books, or anything else for that matter, but it was just so bad.

Moving on, I’m reading the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy right now. I’ve also been reading the Bourne Supremacy for at least a month now. I hit a slow part and put it down for a while, and I just haven’t gotten around to picking it back up.

Interview With the Vampire, Anne Rice. Enough (for now :rolleyes:) with the sparkly vegetarian vampires of Twilight, I need some Lestat and Louis! :wink:

Would that be the three-book trilogy, the four, or the complete five?

The complete five. I bought a book that had all of them. It’s the first time I’ve payed retail for a book (besides Harry Potter) in years.

Just picked up an advanced reading copy of John Birmingham’s, Without Warning. Only a chapter or two in, but I’ll keep you posted.

I just read Kitchen Confidential (Anthony Bourdain’s book) that I was given months ago as a gift. It was entertaining, but I hate seafood/fish (and he loves it, writes rapturously in a way that I can’t relate to), drugs, and infidelity. But it was good to have read. Don’t order fish on Mondays, get hollandaise sauce at a buffet, or order well done meat. Just saying.

The first two I get, but what’s with the well done meat?

Evidently well done orders usually end up with the worst cuts of meat. (I’m glad I like my medium rare! ;))

Multilevel Analysis of Individuals and Cultures (I love grad school) and
The Prehistory of the Mind

Why waste good cuts of flavorful meat when you’re going to cook the flavor out of it?

Oh, and I am reading Wanderlust right now.

I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy over the Xmas holiday. It was pretty good - though with all the hype it seemed to disappoint a bit. But I think it’s a good series, and definitely good to have out there for parents who don’t want their children reading the same thinly veiled Christian allegory over and over (I’m looking at you C. S. Lewis).

Anybody have any thoughts?

I didn’t really like Lyra at first, hell I didn’t even like her by the end of the first book but she grew on me (like a tumor). I liked Will a lot more; and I just love the concept of the subtle knife and the unforeseen consequences of its use.

I am not sure whether I like talking, armored polar bears or not. On the one hand, kick ass, on the other … well, it’s just a bit too fantastical for my liking.

Paradise Lost is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature ever (stranger coming from an atheist, eh?) though the story isn’t really as similar to the epic as I expected (though there are plenty of parallels).

Plus, there are gay angels. That made my day.

SeraphX, I also enjoyed His Dark Materials - though I’m OK with Narnia, too :slight_smile: Variety is key!

Anyways, I adored the armored bears. I can very willingly suspend disbelief for armored bears. I also really enjoyed Lyra’s character (and in some ways really identified with her), but when it shifted to talk about Will I wasn’t as interested.

However, I do have to add that having read the trilogy in a few days over Thanksgiving 2007, I have yet to feel the desire to reread. So, while I’m glad I read it, it isn’t one of my favorites.