What are Direct-To-Archive Podcasts?

We’ve been having incredible fun with the various rewatches and group reads – as well as all the other “off-topic” discussion around these parts, and we decided that we’d like to 'cast about some of them specifically. So rather than force that material upon you – any more than we already do, of course – we’ve added a second podcast to the GWC site: GWC Direct-To-Archive.

A few things we’d like you to know about DTA:
[ul]
[li]We intend for the Direct-To-Archive podcasts to supplement the main GWC podcast, not replace it. So we’ll release DTA podcasts in addition to the current GWC 'cast.[/li][li]Since we imagine the DTA 'casts will act like “direct-to-video” movies (in that some of you will love the subject matter and some may not), we’re releasing the DTA 'casts under a separate feed. That means that if you’re solely a BSG fan and don’t give a crap about hearing the GWC crew banter about other sci-fi, fantasy, comic, and videogame stuff, you needn’t do anything; you’ll continue to receive just the GWC 'casts in the current feed. On the other hand, if you want to receive the DTA 'casts, you can subscribe to them separately via iTunes or a direct RSS feed. (See note below!)[/li][li]DTA 'casts are just like the main GWC podcast from an “adult material” perspective.[/li][*]We’re not planning any particular schedule for the DTA 'casts and currently plan to release "em whenever we’re inspired. If you have requests, feel free to drop 'em in the News/Suggestions Forum.[/ul]Note: You’ll find links to the DTA iTunes and RSS feeds on the GWC Blog sidebar, along with a listing of recent 'casts.

Interesting idea, Chuck. I’m curious to see how this develops.

For this first one I am going to download it directly and hope that the ID3 tags are in place sufficiently so that iTunes can assimilate the file. I cannot seem to spot a separate RSS feed for the DTA podcasts at the moment so this is the simplest way forward, I suppose. Considering the nature of WordPress this is not an easy thing to pull off.

Any thought about going the route of TWiT.tv? It would be interesting to see a Sci-Fi podcast network like that…

Cool album art! Now I seriously have to start looking for the separate RSS feed for these…

TAH: It’s coming. I’m waiting for iTunes to settle out, then I’m going to add iTunes and direct RSS feeds. Usually it only takes a few days, so if it stretches out longer than that I’ll work out a different solution.

Glad you enjoy the art – Sean’ll be happy. He put a lot of time into it.

BTW: ID3 tag should be fine for iTunes. I tag 'em the same way I tag my standard MP3s for use at home, including album art and lots of other information.

That does indeed make me happy to hear sir, Thank you!

I am so looking forward to listening to this. Thank you guys!

Update: The feed is live in iTunes now, and I’ve added the iTunes link as well as a direct RSS link for any of you who want the feed but don’t do iTunes. (I actually added a direct RSS feed for the main 'cast as well.)

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience.

Awesome! This is a great thing to be able to differentiate the two channels.

Who knows? This may be the start to the Galactic Watercooler Network?

Has anyone been able to successfully find the 'cast by searching within the iTunes store? The direct link on the sidebar won’t work for me (it says it can’t find iTunes on my computer) so I figured I would just manually navigate to it in the Podcast Directory. It doesn’t seem to be there, though.

The3: Searches are the last thing to update in iTunes. They take 48+ hours sometimes. :frowning:

Huzzah!

I really appreciate what you guys are doing. I know it takes a lot of time, effort, and money (hosting, hard drive space, etc). So thanks!

Will you be taking suggestions for future episodes? And is this where we will find the book O’ the month discussion?
(Maybe that can be the 3rd podcast: GWC Book of the month club!) :smiley:

Thanks Miguel! (And I thought I was the only one who likes to say “Huzzah!”)

Gwensdad - you can find the book club thread on the main forum page if you scroll down a bit. Hope to see you there!

Awsome guys!
just listened to both and wish I had more to listen to. keep up the awsomw work

Gantrell
“KMG365”

I’ve started saying Huzzah now, actually. It’s awesome! Thanks for the lingo, Audra!

Just thought of a great re watch Movie. Galaxy Quest! To me that was an instant Classic movie!

Man, I just can’t argue with lovin that movie! Great frakking flick!!!

all I have to say is
“By Grabthar’s hammer, by the sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!”.

Am I seconding or thirding this motion?