Walking Dead - Comic

So i just finished reading the first Hardbound book. I must say i was really impressed. It was filled with characters i cared about and i was even shocked a couple times. I love the concept behind the book of a long term zombie story. Again i think this book would make a great series on F/X or HBO. Its one of the shows that can probably survive on F/X and would not need to cut to much. After all they do allow cussing on F/X and from what i have seen thus far there has been no graphic sex scenes. The violence level is even kept relatively low for a book about zombies. I really look forward to reading more of this series in the future.

Oddly today I finally got my copy of the third hardback volume, so I can finally read the volume 4 that’s been sitting on my shelf for the last month.

It’s a lot closer to 28 Days/Weeks later than say Resident Evil, the first issue is almost the same as the first 20 minutes of 28 days, but not in a bad way, and after that it keeps the story moving at a decent pace, and it really does make a point that NO-ONE is safe in the brave new zombie world.

I am totally psyched everytime a WD trade comes out. It’s one of those books that I wasn’t hipped to in time to start collecting individual issues, so I bought the trades…and now I can’t wait for the next one. Kirkman is a master. The damn thing is the one book I can honestly say that ANYTHING goes…

Literally… the same applies to his other comics, Invincible especially!

Is one of my favorite books right now…and the new Trade just came out this week… if you read them in the trades, you can usually find back issues of the trades 1/2 price pretty cheap for the first series

I was wary about the story about the AMC potential series…until I saw Darabont was at least attached at this point…I’m hopeful. Hey, they do a good Mad Men, they can probably do some good mad zombies :stuck_out_tongue:

i just finished reading the second hardback. I cant believe how much better it got than the first book. Just when things are starting to look up it gets so much darker. I think the Michonne character could be awesome. The little blurb about her in he back of the book says she is gonna be important i cant wait to get book 3. When they make the inevitable tv show i could totally see Gina Torres playing her.

I love this series. It never fails to surprise me. No one is safe in this world and I can’t wait to read more. I finished the 4th hardcover volume (which are great collectible books BTW), and I am “dying” to find out what happens next.

Last issue was…everything was too easy. I can’t see how the hammer is gonna fall

I finished up the Hard Bound book 3 recently. I really love what they are doing with the book. The Governor is truly a wicked character [spoiler]I for one don’t think he is dead, and i think he will be amazingly pissed off[/spoiler]. Much of what he did almost made me want to vomit, especially his “tv channels”.

Michone is also now one of my favs characters. I didn’t really like her when she first showed up. Not as a person at least but now I really like her. I want to see her played by Gina Torres when they make the TV show.

And I got the hardbound book 4 this weekend. What an amazing series this is. It takes Joss’s no character is safe to a new level. I really cannot wait for the TV series and I truly hope they stick to the same feel and overall story line of the books. And as I said before i really love Michone and I really really want to know her backstory.

But, man the end of book 4 is heart breaking.

I hope they don’t pull a True Blood and have fan favorite characters live when they should die. That’d just suck.

thinking this will be my next comic purchase to check out; cause i love me some zombies but i wasn’t so sure about them in comic form, but a good story is a good story.

Question: Is it better to buy the compendium (soft cover, looks massive and probably weighs a ton) or separate hardback books (which would be easier to handle while reading, but much more expensive altogether)?

Probably the Separate Hardcovers It takes much longer for the Compendiums to come out. So if you want to make it look nice on a shelf then you will want the Hardcovers. Thats what i have done.

Good point. Thanks!

Totally go Hardback, it’s the best way to an awesome shelf ‘o’ comics!

I’ve just finished the first book so far (Yep, I did end up buying the comics separately), and I can’t believe I haven’t started these sooner.

A fan of the comics (David Kanemoto) made his own opening credits for Walking Dead. It is so good I hope they actually use it for real for the show.

http://vimeo.com/15266890

(is there a way to embed vimeo videos here? Anyway, there’s the link. It is awesome!)

Just ordered me the Hardbound Book 6! I can’t wait.

I read Hard Bond book 6 yesterday.

Wow it had some major downs and what i am assuming some ups.

I mean this book took our survivors to new dark places but also has a full range of emotions. I mean i even laughed at one panel.

[Spoiler]I mean in the first 12 pages one twin kills the other. He didnt even know he did it. Life has gotten so fraked up for the survivors that dead means nothing. then two pages later Carl shoots the kid because he figures he would be a danger to the rest of the group.

Then Dale goes off to die after being bit but ends up being partly eaten by cannibals who started off that way by eating their own kids. Then our plucky band of survivors torture and then burn the bodies of said cannibals.

Then it all ends in what i kept expecting to be a New Capricaesque ending. And it looks like it might go that way. But Our heros will be the Cylons in this case. What a great story [/spoiler]

As a FYI I’ve segmented this thread into the comic discussion and the television discussion. This is primarily to allow the people who have read the books talk about the plot a little more freely and not potentially spoil people watching the TV series by accident.