Visit Caprica - where time flies, even if you're at war

RS, It’s nice to see you around again :slight_smile:

I guess I should have been more specific when I said “like us” - I didn’t mean US, but rather that it would share characteristics. It would have to share some characteristics with what we recognize as life - other wise we wouldn’t recognize it as such.

I also doubt that we’ll have ‘aliens’ at the end of BSG (the OneTrueGod’s not an alien… :p), I brought up the point as a way to think about possible different origins for our different cylon groups, particularly in light of what we know about the Caprica series.

GR is veeeeery touchy about this aliens issue. On the outside chance that it occurs, we should all brace ourselves for armed zepplins being spotted over Hollywood.

So the centurions being around is only speculation. Bah, I was hoping that this point would be confirmed somewhere. We don’t see any cylons other than Zoe in the teaser. Then again, maybe they haven’t finished the CGI work for Caprica. It will be weird seeing old school TOS centurions walking around in Caprica.

Well, if they - or something a lot like them - are not around, none of this time line stuff is going to make any sense. The 1st cw lasting for 12 years is already out the window, because that has it starting one year before Caprica is set because the 2nd war stars 40 years after the end of the first one.

Check out this Stoltz interview…

Interview

There is a question tucked away in there that sounds like we might see Centurions. :smiley:

Yep. Or something pretty darned close. I don’t know whether Centurions were built by Greystone Amalgamated (henceforth GA) or non military cylons to do their fighting for them once the revolt was underway. But we’ll have advanced robots on the scene when Caprica starts - has to be.

So we know that Adama becomes incensed over Greystone’s “unscrupulous” methods to recreate his daughter (and Adama’s as well - right?). Something akin to what we see in Razor? If so, why is Bill Adama so surprised to see what he sees going on with the humans in the lab in Razor? Shouldn’t he and others already know that such experiments have occurred.

In any event, the more I think about it, the more sense it seems to make that somehow what Greystone does to recreate his daughter on Caprica leads directly to the nastiness unearthed in Razor. As for the other direction in which the cylons went - leading to the S7, I would not be surprised to find that Greystone’s humanoid creation(s) on Caprica lead down that path - if Sophie or whoever survives (perhaps with the humans believing that she has not).

And none of this throws any sort of a wrench into the plot line of BSG. It would merely provide a (dare I say it, compelling) bridge between the two series.

Remember the line from the Caprica trailer - The end of humanity — had a beginning. That has got to be Greystone’s humanoid experiments - not the mere production of advanced robots, whether they be Centurions or not.

I thought you would all like to see the trailer.

ok ive read so many posts on caprica, i cant remember if this was posted or not?? everone (incliding me) was worried about the time like…
Talking about the timeline and Caprica being set a few years before the first Cylon war, Moore said: “At the time of the mini-series, we said that no one had seen or heard from the Cylons in 40 years and we never nailed down how many years, so this gives us a little more of a cushion and how the long war took place.”

looks like a cop-out? any thoughts?

woohoo finally someone posted in the Caprica section.

I’m still a little confused with how the new show will deal with the cylon war. By the end of the show will the seeds of war be planted? How many years will Caprica span? I think it would really be cool if the series used the jump ahead a year concept and every season we skip a few years to see how the colonies unite and then lead up to the cylon war.

I have it on very good authority that Caprica will be set 51 years before the start of BSG. With the 1st CW ending about 40 years before the start of BSG that means either:

1. The 1st Cylon War did not last 12 years (oops), or, if it did,

2. The 1st Cylon War was underway by the time that Greystone developed his humanoid Cylons - with humans and Centurions already mixing it up.

There is nothing wrong with approach 2 (in fact it is pretty intriguing), but my guess is that approach 1 will be used and some revisionist history called into play.

yeah it would be great if they used that plot device… i hope the series goes the distance… i dunno what ill do if my galactica universe disappears

Another reason to shoot the cat.

i hadnt thought bout that… but taking out “whiskers” would def. take my mind off the loss of a great show :slight_smile:

I thought the end of CW 1 was 41 years ago. Still there is a ten year gap between Caprica and CW 1. You’d think if Caprica goes for at least a few seasons that would shave another 1-3 years off the time line. Your option two is an interesting thought. So you are suggesting that maybe the Cylon War is already started? I dunno from what I understand what is going to happen is the lead up to the war. It’ll be interesting see if they try to retcon the 12 year number. Maybe a few Centurions went off the reservation already before all the Centurions revolted.

Battlestar Wiki says CW 1 lasted 12 years (cannot remember its source of info, but it’s usually correct). If it did last that long, then it started before Greyston got to work “recreating” his daughter even using your 41 years ago end date. So, either they have to “punt” on the 12 years (what’s a couple of years between friends?) or we have a war 2 years before Caprica starts. Right? (Don’t ask me why they just didn’t set Caprica 53 + years before BSG.)

Just went back to Wiki and searched “first cylon war” - and it states the 12 years noted (in days) without giving the source. Also notes that the colonies signed their joint agreement 52 years before BSG begins (no citation) - which would be one year before Caprica begins. Postulates that Cylon problems led to the signing of the treaty.

Let’s think about this. Why should the humanoid Cylon work have anything to do with CW 1? The humans do not even know that there are humanoid Cylons at the start of CW 2. So there is no reason to believe that the humanoid Cylon work prompted CW 1. That was (or may have been) a war started by the “mechanical” Cylons before Greystone’s daughter and others are killed in the “religion” incident.

That’s from Razor.

As is my 41 years before bsg number.

I hear what you are saying OT. It’s just that at this point I have yet to hear talk of Centurions in Caprica as of yet. That makes me a little nervous about how they are going to explain or plant seeds for CW 1. You’d think you’d see the word Centurion pop up from the folks who have read the script and shared with the internet audience.

Gotta be - right? The industrial might of Caprica had to have developed tin can Cylons before the more advanced humanoid models - right? Also, consider this - there has been mention in the series before of “wars” of one sort or another between the Colonies before they unified due to the Cylon threat. How about this for a back story. There is such a “war” going on at the time Caprica begins - being fought by humans and Centurions against humans and Centurions. And things get a bit out of hand with the latter - as in their mariginal sentient existence causing them to question whom they ought to be fighting. Who’s the real “enemy”.

Bah. GR is just verrrrrry touchy. End.

“Who’s the real enemy?” is a great question for any series, but especially for a sci-fi genre series. I think your idea is incredibly interesting, OT. I haven’t been following the Caprica spoilers as closely as y’all have, but it seems that there are some great directions that the story could go. For the most part I’m content to sit back and let it happen without nitpicking too much, but I do love reading what you guys brainstorm.