Twilight Series Books

How about the Twilight Series? Are you into that Series? I just started reading Twilight and it’s very good.

Without knowing anything about the books, I will assume you are recommending book 1 as opposed to a different place to start. I will add Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) to the voting selection!

Oh! Yes I meant the first book.

love the books of twilight not very sci but her other book the host is very good:)

Did anyone happen to see that article on yahoo a while back with Stephen King? According to him, the author “can’t write worth a damn.” Never read the series, but that seemed a bit harsh.

It is harsh. Stephanie Meyer isn’t the greatest writer - but she’s not bad.

I have strong anti-Twilight feelings after having read the entire series.

Have to admit that I agree with Stephen King.

The only other comment I can make about it is - The book series editor should be fired for letting the books run that long. I think the books could be a heck of a lot shorter and the plot tighter if the editor were a bit more discerning.

I have not finished the Series and I can’t bring myself to do finish it, I know I suggested the book and all but I suggested before I got so far into the series. Can I take back my suggestion?

It’s so sappy and boring.

i don’t know what book your on but books 3 and 4 are really good. keep going and i think the twilight books are aim at teens.:smiley:

I agree. Stephenie Meyer had good ideas, but could not execute them in the least. I enjoyed the books, sort of, simply because I liked the mythology of the series. But rarely do books annoy me at least once a page, and these ones had me rolling my eyes at about half the sentences. I’m not a hater, but definitely not a supporter either.

They aren’t the best books around but man are they good for a laugh. I almost stopped reading on page 9 of Twilight because of a really glaring grammatical error. I busted out laughing when I read the line, “it had been belonged to me since I was born.” The books needed a better editor but it’s not the worst editing I’ve ever seen. They are cheesy but I got a good laugh out of them.

I stopped at Chapter 20 of Book 3, I tried and I can’t get finish it, it’s so long and getting kind of boring.

I’ve had a few trusted reader friends say i should read these books. I’m a huge vampire book fan and have a collection of over 100 titles, but generally stay away from the YA and Romance books in the genre. I’m a huge Potter fan, so I’m wondering if I’d like these or not.

I’ve seen the King comments and they are harsh. I agree that there’s a lot out there published that isn’t well written or edited effectively, but I respect Ms. Meyer as a writer. She’s me- a mom who writes. If my book could do a tenth as well as hers, I’d be thrilled. What is funny though is that King is probably one of the biggest “brands” in books. I doubt he sees himself that way, but I guarantee his publisher does.

As another Harry Potter fan, and someone who has read Twilight, I’d say don’t try to compare the two. Twilight is basically Ann Rice meets Sweet Valley High. It is very much Mary Sue fanfic and in parts, badly written fanfic. I enjoyed the first book, but that is all I’ve read and I don’t think it is well written. Cotton candy is all sweet and fluffy and has no nutritional value, but I enjoy it from time to time anyway. Twilight is the same.

I am glad I read it for one reason. I was at my 10 year old niece’s birthday party. She said something about Twilight and when I told her I’d read it, she was amazed. We spent about fifteen minutes discussing it, which is apparently forever in tween time. So, if anything, it gave me a chance to connect to a family member in a new way.

Yeah my wife really enjoys Twilight but she agrees that it’s not a work of flowing and beautiful literature. I’ve found that two types of people read it: those who rarely read (no doubt due to its conversational tone and overall emphasis on dialogue exchanges) and people who just like an idealized romance (no offense intended, but most women I know).

One thing I will say in the series’ defense is that it’s a surprisingly chaste series early on and does a good job of creating a metaphor between Bella’s desire to take the next step with that of young teenagers’ same desires. It kind of reminds me of Buffy that way, in how it tackles real-world issues for its intended audience through a metaphor that is more exciting and less serious than its real-life counterpart.

Still, I cannot stand Meyers’ writing style; it’s jut painful to read. There is absolutely no flow to her approach.

I’m sorry I just have to say this - and I mean no offense to anyone but - as an adult if you are reading a book series geared towards teenage girls - you can’t really expect Shakespeare. It’s a book series about a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire. It’s not going to be a work of great literature. And yes I know Harry Potter is for kids and it’s awesome - Harry Potter is the exception, not the rule.

I got from Twilight exactly what I wanted - an entertaining read that takes me back to the days when being in “LOVE” was the most dramatic thing ever and OMG I’D RATHER DIE THAN BE WITHOUT YOU…etc. It’s cheesy and girly and dramatic - and that’s exactly what I like about it.

So, like Romeo and Juliet?

Yes - but without the iambic pentameter…LOL

I will say that as a guy, I still don’t understand how a mopey stalker is so irresistably attractive to Bella. There is something about a woman’s psyche that Meyer obviously understands first-hand and somehow is able to put to paper in a way that women instinctively get.

Women are weird.

Unfortunately for me, I had never heard of the series until around the time the last (fourth?) book was coming out. I was talking to an employee at Borders and we got on the subject of Harry Potter. She said if I liked Harry Potter, then I should read Twilight. That’s where I was disappointed. An expectation was set up and then didn’t materialize.

There are a lot of Twilight haters out there and I am not one of them. I will most likely read the other books, just to amuse my niece. As for sappy romances … well, I still list A Walk to Remember as one of my favorite movies, so I guess I’m guilty in that regard.