The only game that can challenge ME3 as my most wanted of the year! (Skyrim)

ok so any big Elder Scrolls fans here? I only played Oblivion but loved it

and now we get the first gameplay trailer from the next in the ES series…Skyrim

EPIC!

I liked Morrowind and Oblivion. So I’ll probably pick the new one up eventually. The series has great potential. I hope they make the conversation system a bit better. The one in morrowind was terrible, and it was somewhat improved in Oblivion. Another thing, I hope they get rid of the of the levelling system in which all the enemies scale with you. There’s no real point in levelling up unless you get stronger.

Old thread, but seems apt to add these three videos…

//youtu.be/5xwboyafbwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xwboyafbwc&hd=1

//youtu.be/d7WohnlLEQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7WohnlLEQo&hd=1

//youtu.be/Kt7IeycKJKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7IeycKJKQ&hd=1

Honestly not really feeling it. There’s something…flat about Elder Scrolls combat

I won’t be getting it either. I only played Oblivion for 2 hours.

But, the world looks gorgeous.

!!!

!!!

lol

to each their own I guess, I however LOVED Oblivion, put in about 200 hours into it and that was on the 360 version, if I had the PC version with mods who knows how long I would have kept playing it

I’ll get Skyrim if there anything in it of the quality of The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild in Oblivion I’ll buy it. LOVED those, hated the main quest

you know I’m in the same boat there, the only thing I didn’t like about Oblivion was the main quest

and it seems like anyone I talk to that loved Oblivion they all say the same thing: loved the guild quests, hated the main quest

hopefully the guild quests stay awesome and the main quest is good for Skyrim, I will say from what I can tell about the main quest it already seems more interesting than the stupid Oblivion gates randomly opening up all over the world

NOTHING, can challenge the anticipation of ME3. Except if they had bacon to ME3 or a Mass Effect movie. :wink:

My problem with Oblivion is that I didn’t like either of the two main fighting styles. Swordplay was clunky, and leading people and animals with arrows was an exercise in frustration.
By the time I gave up with a rogue and restarted with a mage, the thought of re-doing all the crap I’d done seemed too daunting.

Mass Effects 1 and 2, on the other hand, I’ve combined for nearly 20 play-throughs and I’m still not sick of the game.

No. Seriously. I lost count but I’m positive that it’s at least 15, and could easily be 18 or so.

Skyrim is just edging out ME3 at the moment, but I chop and change between them. Every time I see a Skyrim demo I feel like I am being drawn in, the world is so well done. Dark Elf mage will be my starting point - no surprise to anyone who recognises my forum name reference :slight_smile:

luckily ME3 got delayed till next year (well not luckily…but if they need to polish it up I don’t mind them taking extra time) especially since we’ll have Skyrim to tide us over!

I got it earlier today and…

see you in a few months.

shakes fist Why is it that I prefer games that take forever to finish?

(ETA: so yeah. I’m pretty relieved that ME3 won’t be released until next year. TOO MUCH.)

Lots of improvements and a few things I dislike, especially in the interface, but overall I’m totally sucked in. Played way too late every night this weekend. I can’t say what the actual square footage is but it feels like the world is quite a bit larger. Already got a Dark Brotherhood invite, and theives guild invite. Pretty excited, there looks to be a tonne more factions and guilds to deal with. There’s even a bards college that apparently has you learning sonnets and music or something.

Loving Skyrim! If you liked Oblivion, you will love Skyrim too, I am sure. If you hated Oblivion, I am not sure, but I am guessing you won’t like Skyrim. Skyrim is a lovely update to Oblivion. The leveling up system issue has been solved, but most of the other minor annoyances of Oblivion are still there. Oblivion was my number 1 game for many many years regardless of the faults. I wish the AI was a little smarter this time around. I can sneak attack a bandit, run way and hide, rinse and repeat. I could justify the reaction with ghosts and goulies, but people? How dumb do you have to be to allow a low level archer to hit you one arrow at a time over 10 times before you figure out that going around that one extra corner might be a good idea? At least the survivors now walk over to the bandit I killed, notice their dead companion and then curse me. Mourning lasts only a few seconds though and then they are back to watching the fire or working at whatever.

Anyway, that said the game is very immersive. I have played for many hours and only killed one dragon and joined one group (the Companions – joining them is a MUST!) My computer at the moment is pretty crap so the graphics are you tube like, but they are the most lovely you tube videos out there. My mouse was laggy but I found a very easy fix on the net. I have lucked out and avoided most of the major bugs <knocks on wood>. I can see playing this game for years, especially when the fan made quests start rolling out.

I had this game for all of 24 hours. Unfortunately that’s all it took. Now I’m staring down the barrel of Christmas wondering how I can weasel $60 away from my wife. It’s amazing.

One of the guys at work took a vacation day to pick up his preorder at midnight and play until he passed out. While sword and sorcery games are not my first choice, it does look pretty impressive.
The first thing I thought about when watching the demo video was the fact that the trail you’re walking on looks like good mountain biking:)

Just had my first battle against a dragon. I’m not sure if it’s fixed to a certain time, but the battle took place at night which I thought made it that much better. I could barely see the outline of the dragon, and then the contrast of the flames shooting out was pretty amazing looking. Having so much fun with this game.

It’s not fixed to a certain time (mine happened in the daylight) though I do think it’s latched to a certain event. Though after that, they are random encounters. I’d get attacked (and quickly slaughtered), reload from a saved game, and then go back to the same spot and no dragon. I love that the dragon encounters aren’t scripted. Makes it so much more exciting.

Just got my first house, it’s in Whiterun. Let the hoarding begin!