The Life and Times of an Artistic Geek - Artist Blog

Hey GWCers, I recently started a new blog and project. I intend to create one piece of art a week, each of which has to be in some way connected to all of the things that we as a community hold dear.

Things I am hoping to accomplish:

• Subconsciously force myself to create at least one work of art a week
  • Reach some kind of audience with my art
  • Learn even more about my interests and anything considered ‘geeky’ (loosely defined by 'casts #244 & #245)
  • Improve my art and writing skills (inherent in the whole ‘do art and write about it’ idea)
  • See what other cool things will come of this.

Here’s the home page, and I’ll post each week when I add new work so that everyone can check my progress as I go alone.

So far, I’ve done a piece and blog inspired by Bear McCreary’s All Along the Watchtower and one about the Mars rover, inspired by The Case for Mars Symphony of Science video.

I’m really excited about the project and have a lot of ideas in the works so I hope you’ll check it out and maybe even provide some feedback every once in a while!

Figured I might as well throw up the first two pieces of art:
Week 1 - (BSG Spoiler)
[SPOILER]
All Along the Watchtower. Acrylic on canvas. 30x36.[/SPOILER]

Week 2

Eyes and Ears on the Surface. Charcoal on paper. 14x17.

I still say the Mars rover looks like it is holding a gun.

It’s gotta watch out for Marvin, after all.

Haha, that he does. And apparently Transformers…

Can we make suggestions?

If so, something with the Gorn.

If not, IGNORE ME!!

Posted today in support of Star Wars and Geek Pride for Katie.

Touching story about a girl who was made fun of by some kids at her school for using a Star Wars water bottle. Obviously as a member of one of the friendliest groups of people in sci fi, I did a blog post with a Star Wars themed piece of artwork I did a few years ago. Check out Katie’s story written by her mom that gathered many of us Geeks in support of Katie, making her feel like she’s not so different after all.

In a galaxy far, far away… Linoleum print.

Yes! I love suggestions and will try to accommodate as many as I can come up with a way to use them. Gorn noted. :cool:

Yippee!

Here’s some more inspiration…the talosbunny

And there’s also our impending doom…

Kukulkan is coming.

I’m giddy. I’ll stop hijacking yo thread.

Haha. love the TalosBunny… maybe that’ll just have to show up somewhere… hmm…

impending doom kukulkan might be a bit tougher than the talosbunny, but i’ll see what I can do.

hijacking? i thought it was constructive additions to ideas for art’s sake. :smiley:

Next blog post up: NASA Discovery Comic. it’ll be a series this week and here’s the first:

Check out the blog post for more information too.

Hey Mei Mei. I think this is one of my favorite arts you made yet. It made me smile.

Everything looks really cool so far, keep it up!

Thanks! It’s still fun too so that’s a good thing!

Since I had a lot of different ideas for how to commemorate the NASA Discovery, I’ve decided to do one for each day. So here is the second addition for today:

Arsenic Omm Nom.

A little cross-reference in this one. If you have thoughts on this piece, why not leave a comment on the blog post :wink:

I have update! So I explained (for some who may not understand) one of the Toxic Building Blocks of Life posts.

AND added a new one, based on Space Invaders. It’s spray paint and mixed media on canvas. Took longer than I thought it would but it finally made it to the blog.

New blog post and last one for this year! inspired by Symphony of Science ‘Glorious Dawn’. There are three pieces total, the most recent and created for the blog is called The Atom, posted below. The other two, equally awesome paintings are posted on the blog.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great and safe New Year’s celebration (and that those who have already celebrated had fun and were equally safe).

I dig the new series Meimei