The Expanse (Syfy 2015)

I enjoyed it as I did all the others, but I know what you mean. I went through some serious expanse withdrawal after I finished it… So I dove straight into another Dan Abraham series, the Dragon’s Path. Now instead of hanging out with Jim, Amos, Naomi, and Alex, I’m spending time with Marcus, Cithrin, Yardem and Master Kit. Abraham really writes great characters, I’ve become a big fan. From The Dragon’s Path:

Marcus rubbed his chin with a callused palm.
“Yardem?”
“Sir?” Rumbled the Tralgu looming at his side.
“The day you throw me in a ditch and take command of the company?”
“Yes, sir.”
“It wouldn’t be today, would it?”
The Tralgu crossed his thick arms and flicked a jingling ear.
“No, sir,” he said at last. “Not today.”
“Pity.”

Durzo

“Freezing in #toronto @TheExpanseTV - @Frances_Fisher

Veteran stage, film (Titanic, House of Sand and Fog, Unforgiven), and television actress Frances Fisher joins the cast in an unnamed role.

I’m quite fond of Ms. Fisher but in a variation of the Bechdel test, I hope that she is not playing some one like Julie’s Mom, Ariadne Mao, much like she is a Mom in NBC’s Resurrection.

Instead I’m pulling for a certain captain of a Earth ship of war, Captain McBride of the corvette UNN Ravi. A small but white knuckled role in the novel that necessarily has to be expanded for any television adaptation.

Also, begin NBCU media village watch: "Gallery and EPK (Electronic Press Kit) shoot today for The Expanse! :)…" @Mi55Tipper

Ok, I started Cibola Burn today.
And thanks, that’s a great idea - I’m now looking for another series to read.

Halfway through Cibola Burn.
Liking it alot.
Enjoy it when Miller appears.
Geez, what a ghastly planet. I’d get the hell off there faster than my next breath.

So I hear that The Expanse Book 5,
Nemesis Game will be released this June 2015.
Great !!

](http://s432.photobucket.com/user/NothingButheRain/media/250.jpg.html)[/IMG]

New book and tv series. Oh my… It’s going to be an Expanse summer! I liked what they
did with Havelock in this one (cibola burn). And of course Miller
is always awesome even as a construct.

Durzo

I know, pretty awesome.
Yah, Havelock’s an interesting character.
I think I like him - waiting to see what he does with his prisoner.

One thing I’ve noticed about the Expanse universe.

It closely follows Murphy’s Law.

If anything can go wrong - it does.
Though it makes for interesting plot twists.

This post contains a spoiler about The Walking Dead mid-season 5 premiere, What Happened and What’s Going On

[spoiler]Tyreese is dead. Long live Fred Lucius Johnson. Ironically, a real native of Richmond, Virginia fictionally died in his own hometown. Nice touch.[/spoiler]

Just last week Chad Coleman denied to Newsday that his joining the cast of The Expanse related in any way to the imminent fate of his TWD character. And he revealed a longing to do science fiction, "I grew up with the “Star Treks,” and “Battlestar Galacticas,” and someone tells me to put on a spacesuit, baby, I’m putting on a spacesuit."

“IT AIN’T OVAH PEOPLE!!!”
- @ChadLColeman, 2 hours ago

Here’s to more than three seasons of Fred Johnson. Fingers crossed.

ADD: Chad L. Coleman is plugging The Expanse at the end of his TWD interviews including AMC’s The Talking Dead last night and at IGN today starting at 21:20. According to him, it seems like Syfy management is currently deciding if The Expanse will premiere in July or December. A July premiere has been mentioned several times already and it does appear that the production has been racing all along to can its first season of ten episodes by July - including finalizing some of the CG post production scenes from the first three episodes in order to whip together the trailer. Unfortunately, this is the first mention - and definitely not the last - of a possible delayed December date. All together now: FRAKKING SYFY :confused:

Just finished Cibola Burn.
Another good story.
Sad to see Miller go. I don’t think we’ll be seeing him again.
Really got to like Havelock.
And nice to get a glimpse of Avasarala and Bobby.

I am so ready for some more Bobbie Draper. Agree about Miller.

“I don’t use sex as a weapon, I use weapons as weapons.” Gunnery Sargent Roberta Draper

Yah, me too.

“She make everything look small, just by being there.” (paraphrase)

So while I wait for more Expanse this summer, I have been doing some other reading.

I heard SyFy is doing a 6-hr miniseries of Arthur C. Clarke’s, Childhood’s End, so I just re-read it.

I read this as a kid, and couldn’t remember a thing about it, except that it made me sad.
Now as an adult I understand why that little kid was sad.
This story stills holds up. Definitely worth a read.

Next on my list is another Arthur C. Clarke novel, The City and The Stars.

Another novel I read as a kid, and can’t remember anything about, except that, I think I liked it.
(I’ve been reading and loving SciFi since before I could read.)

A little dated. But it’s classic Arthur C. Clarke, so it’s worth a read.

Suddenly every science fiction show past and present will be kicking themselves for not thinking of it first. Suck it CG effects!

“The only TV show with frikkin’ laser beams #theexpanse - @JamesSACorey

After the wrap party, principal photography has ended… about eight hours ago if you count pickups. Now for weeks of post production editin’ and tinkerin’ and gobs and gobs of spaceship pew pew pew by WETA Digital. Again, this is Syfy’s very first series with visual effects done by WETA.

danielabraham.com: Lizard Brain (blog): That’s a wrap (and another thing) 3/08

All eyes on the suits. Say you Summer or Winter premiere?

How bout… A winter premier with a 6 month break
Right in the middle of the season. Sound good?..

Hoping for summer :slight_smile:

Durzo

Looks like a fourth quarter release. I heard a clip was seen at SXSW? Anybody seen this. I can’t get the link to work on the fan site. Already preordered Nemesis Games!

Durzo

Nemesis games out this week. Got it on kindle and will
Be diving back into the Expanse universe this week. Woohoo!

Durzo