Thank You GWC!

It’s been almost a year since GWC last posted a podcast. At this time I wanted to create a place for the community to come and say Thank You to everyone involved in the GWC. Please reply to this thread with your thank yous if you’d like. I’ll start.

Thank you to Chuck, Sean, Audra and Juan. You guys were amazing in providing me with hundreds of podcast hours of content from September 2006 to March 2013. It was an incredible run. You guys were there with me through the good times and bad and there was hardly a week that went by that I didn’t anxiously await for the next podcast to drop to immediately listen to it. I thoroughly enjoyed your content, your jokes, your laughter, your insights, your stories, your website and your meetups. Thank you for creating a community I was proud to call my home away from home. “I’m going to go back there someday.”

Solai the producer, I don’t think any of us will ever fully understand the support you gave the podcast behind the scenes. The interviews you enabled, the content you shaped, the format you helped developed. Thank you for suggesting to the crew to expand Galactica Watercooler to Galactic Watercooler.

Ferris. Thank you for all the music assists. You have an amazing talent and thank you for sharing your connections and knowledge with all of us.

Thank you to Gryper, Casilda, BadgerSpoon, frakkintalos, Solai, Pike, and Juan. You guys rode the delicate balance between creation, respect, openness and inclusion. The forum wouldn’t have been the fabulous place it was without you. You guys were the front guard to the community and I thank you from my heart for it.

To the rest of the community, you guys are all very special. You are creative, respectful, insightful, engaging and welcoming. Thank you for the years of sharing yourselves with the rest of us. GWC has been and will forever be special to me because of the community you guys were to me. Thank you.

See you all around the Watercooler!

I want to offer up my thanks as well to all the GWC crew and listeners. I always got a ton of enjoyment out of the casts, I laughed, I cried, I felt good when I listened. I still remember the cast with the Ann Druyan/Nick Sagan interview (193 I think) and I think I could have listened to that several times over. Even though I never made it to any meet ups and didn’t post a ton on the forum, I really felt like I knew all of you and that I could run into you on the street and instantly have stuff to talk about. So thank you for all the time and effort you put into making this phenomenal podcast. I hope you all are well, and as my favorite Captain in the ‘Verse would say, Keep Flyin’.

If I were to attempt an honest and heartfelt thank you it would go on for pages. GWC represents a special time and a place. The fact that it hangs in limbo hurts somewhat as one cannot mourn something that is still here through webpage and blog. I occasionally come back to the forum, but it increasingly reflects the storyline of ‘The Walking Dead’, populated by those brave few who refuse to go silently. So instead of turning over this rock I’m gong to quote one of my favorite songs which is oddly perfect to celebrate this anniversary.

Another turning point
A fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist
directs you where to go.
So make the best of this test
and don’t ask why.
It’s not a question
But a lesson learned in time.

It’s something unpredictable
but in the end it’s right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs
and still frames in your mind.
Hang them on a shelf
In good health and good times
Tattoos and memories
and dead skin on trial.
For what it’s worth,
it was worth all the while.

i hope we have the time of our lives

Green Day: “Time of Your Life” from the album Good Riddance

Man, I can’t believe it’s been a full year. More so, I can’t believe I decided to check for content updates on the forum and website today of all days. It seems like just yesterday when podcasts were weekly. I miss those times, but, as Dr. Suess would say, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

I’m glad I would have something to cry over, or to smile at in the first place. For that, I thank every single one of you. It’s been a grand experience. I hope to return soon and see new content, that would be the dream, but for now, thank you. Chuck, Audra, Sean, Juan, Gryper, Casilda, BadgerSpoon, frakkintalos, Solai, Pike, Shooter, and the rest, thank you. You’ve provided countless hours of fun, entertainment, and amazement in general for which I will never be able to return.

I bear one final message, the words of (presumably) Mark Twain;

“Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Thanks to all of you for listening to my half crazy rants and theories. And thank you all for giving me more. And remember, “You will address me as DUDE!!”

This thread kinda sounds like a goodbye to the forum too (I don’t think it’s going anywhere, but geesh it is quite the ghost town the last year)…and a goodbye to this place makes me feel really really sad…I enjoy the insights and commentary this place has to offer and I want to see it keep going!!!

What a day to check in with the forum. I do come back from time to time to see what’s new, not much posting though.

GWC has been an amazing thing for me. I found the crew at the lowest most deeply troubling time in my life. The weekly cast was often the only thing that kept me going through the days, weeks, months.
Laughter is truly the best medicine and I am forever grateful to everyone involved in pulling off the cast for bringing me out of a dark pit of despair.

After a few years I was back on my feet again and had the pleasure of going to a meetup (2012). Not only did I meet the crew and get to know them as friends, but spent the weekend with some very fine people. Truly an unforgettable experience.

Thank you all again, what an awesome ride.

Durzo

this podcast got me through a bad time after a major accident. truly want to say thanks to Sean, Chuck, and Audra and the rest of the community for what they helped me get though!!

Thank you GWC! Thank you to the podcasters, the guests, the people who make the podcast happen, the people who maintain the forum, the site, the community events and clubs on the forum, the people who have helped out at the meetups, and everyone I missed.

Thank you everyone.

I hope we get some more podcasts, I’m not ready to live in a world without GWC.

As we all know, the last episode of Star Trek: TNG is entitled “All Good Things”, in reference to the perennial saying, “All good things must come to an end.”

Which, technically, if you think about it, is bullshit, because they then proceeded to spend close to a dozen years filming four feature films. Granted, not all of them were great, and it wasn’t the same as an equal number of seasons of the TV series, but still…

I for one do not believe that GWC Podcast is close to being done yet. All the great ones occasionally have to go on hiatus to deal with things and recharge their creative batteries. Even if all podcasting activity on this network were to cease tomorrow, we would still have our community and this forum to connect us all together. I think we would still find the drive and energy to organize meetups and drag our butts out to Texas for a chance to hang out and geek out on our favorite nerdy stuff together. I don’t think I had nearly as much awareness of my identity as a ‘nerd’ before this year-long period. GWC was the start of it; it was through GWC that I first became aware of Nerdist.com, and it was this year-long hiatus, the absence of GWC, that gave me the impetus (call it an excuse, even) to start listening to the Nerdist Podcast. 2013 was, for me, the Year of the Nerdist. While I may have become far more in tune with my long-submerged identity as a nerd due to my hard-core exposure to Nerdist content these past twelve months, GWC was my initiation to that sort of atmosphere. That being said, this community is unlike anything I’ve ever been a part of before, and it’s impossible for me to overstate its importance to me on a purely existential level. So thanks to all you guys, the noisy ones and the quiet ones (I myself am a member of the latter group) for keeping this such a cool, friendly place. You guys always listen and you never judge, which is something that probably only 10-20% of the Internet population can genuinely claim to do.

Everything said in the above post is soooo dead on it bears re-stating…I admit I’ve gotten a bit frustrated here of late because the board feels like a ghost town…and so many new shows I’ve gotten into of late (I’m blazing through Dr Who, even got the girlfriend to go from “what the HELL are you watching?” to “Dammit you hooked me on another show, give me your netflix info so I can catch up!”…to Agents of SHIELD (which is getting better)…to Arrow (Jamie’s one claim to fame of shows we watch together that’s her fault…heh)…to the EXTREMELY creepy Helix, which we gave a shot to since it was a Ron Moore thing… Hopefully we can pick up the chatter in thiis place and keep things going in here…

I didn’t even mention all the cool movies like the 300 follow-up movie (was more a parallel move than a sequel per say)…but I wanted to talk about them all with y’all!!!

It’s been a helluva long time since I posted here. Still check in every once in a while hoping for updates.

Despite the lack of recent content, I know GWC really shaped how I view the creative content I always enjoyed. I was one of the very first listeners to the cast, and while my posting in the forums died off quite a bit I always kept listening. To this day I credit my love of scifi heavily to the GWC crew, they gave me an outlet to discuss something when I had no one else to talk to. I started listening to the case as a lonely 12 year old middle-schooler. I’m now 20, have a real job and will be a college grad soon enough. I can’t believe how much I have changed, and GWC was definitely a part of that change. Knowing there were people who enjoyed the same things I did helped give me a huge confidence boost, and helped me to not be afraid of who I am. I miss this place.

Wow, Shooter, you’ve captured it so beautifully. GWC exposed me to not only a global group of people which shared (and continues to share) my love of all things geeky, but to opening up to sharing those things with a community. It’s introduced me to new things, and deepened my understanding and appreciation for things I already loved. Last but not least, it was my first introduction to podcasts, and now a day doesn’t go by in which I don’t listen to 'casts whether driving to work, walking the dog or just about anywhere else. I feel privileged to have been able to share an incredible journey when I discovered fitness on the GWC fitness forum, and find solace when I fell off the wagon later. I hope I was able to lend some small measure of support when folks shared something intensely personal, and was amazed at how a virtual, online family would welcome and foster such deep relationships, and moreover, trust.

To Chuck, Audra, Sean, Juan, Solai, and all the rest of the Alpacas who have posted, 'casted, tweeted, called and shared; thank-you. The world is surely a better place for it, and you can proudly take some of that credit.

Neil

Hello Folks - I don’t post much, but I’ve been listening to GWC since the first few months, and listened to every smidge I could grab (anyone else remember “Cookies n Beer”?).

One funny memory of many:

For me, I always associate the early episodes of GWC with…drywall dust.

I needed something to occupy my mind while mudding and sanding several hundred square feet of newly-hung drywall on our bedroom ceiling. A back-breaking, boring, tedious way to spend hours working with my arms over my head, immersed in my own micro-environment of dust, sweat, and the GWC crew.

More than once while sanding over my head, I nearly choked to death from unexpectedly laughing at those guys…and promptly inhaling a tsunami of drywall dust!

It was a long while before my sinuses cleared out that fine, chalky dust. Chuck, Sean, and Audra, in a slightly warped (and funny) way, helped put it there.

A few times a year the sun hits the ceiling just right, and I inspect my handiwork from that summer…and when I run my hands over that ceiling, I’m always pulled back to early GWC too.

Gosh, I miss them.

Very best - Greg from Michigan.

Wow, I have so many mixed feelings about posting in this thread…

1-
Yes, thank you GWC, for sooo many hours of solid enjoyment. I stumbled upon the podcast at Episode #3. I was thrilled to find people talking about stuff that was my secret passion. The podcast was about BSG - but there were so many tangents, and all of them were my world. I felt I had reached a homebase. I was hooked with that first listening.

Then, the Forum. I remember the long discussions over a couple of years about whether to have a forum or not. I remember my time as a lurker after the forum opened. Then finally taking the step and posting.

2-
I’m not ready to give it all up. I miss the podcasts. I miss listening to Chuck, Audra & Sean. I miss their insights, their humor, their banter, etc.

3-
I hesitate to post in this thread, because I don’t want this thread to act as a wake. I’m not ready to say goodbye to it all.

I was tangentially aware of podcasts before I started listening to GWC Podcast, but I didn’t really know what they were or what people could do with them. GWC was the first one I ever listened to, and the only one until I took the opportunity during this past year’s hiatus. I too was a forum lurker for a good long while - long before I even registered and joined up! I’ve never been much on communities or groups - I’m religiously anti-social and a lone wolf on top of that - so taking the leap and putting myself someplace where other people could actually read stuff that I was dumb enough to write was not an easy call for me to make back then. All this time later, and I’m very glad that I did make that decision. Being a part of this group has enabled me to see other perspectives on things that I’ve would’ve otherwise had to experience and ponder in a vacuum, and helped me feel ok about being a complete and total geek.

I don’t know where I would be with out this cast. I went through a bunch of tough times. GWC crew and family got me through a lot. You truly were the friendliest people in Sci-Fi. It was so easy to fit in and join the wonderful people here. To the voices of Chuck, Sean and Audra I miss your voices. I go back and listen to old casts. To all the people that helped oh Juan, Solai, Ferris and anyone else I may have forgotten thank you for all the work you put into this.

I don’t want the forum to go away. At least we can still have that.

To all that I have conversed with digitally over the years thank you. You are family.

We will not go quietly into the night. We will stand firm. GWC will live on in the minds and hearts of us all.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone involved in churning out GWC every week. I’ve never been to a meetup, just about never post in the forums. But it’s a year +1 day since we last heard the 'cast, and I wanted the GWC team to know that all the work, the great content and good times were always greatly appreciated. Please know there are lots of people like me who you may not have heard from regularly that never missed a 'cast. You’ve given us more than your best and more than your “all”. Rest easy folks and enjoy life. Thanks for all the great content!

Best,
Dave R.
Fair Lawn, NJ

Definitely thank you to ALL involved in the podcast and the forums. All you cats behind the scenes making things go have my gratitude.
The weekly cast may never resume, but I’m still holding out hope for an occasional podcast special.
Plus, I’m not gonna stop lurking on the forums or making the occasional post bomb.

I love GWC. And when I say “I love GWC,” I mean everything and everybody connected to it, in addition to everything the podcast, site, and its citizenry have exposed me to over the years.

GWC came to my attention via the venerable Rolling Stone magazine, of all places, during season 2. BSG Mania was becoming a thing, and the magazine ran a brief spotlight on some new kind of thing called a podcast, which it called “the NPR of BSG.” I had missed season 1, but the buzz was impossible to ignore for season 2. So I tuned in and quickly became obsessed, in a way I hadn’t been with a TV show in awhile. Maybe ever. So when I learned there was a talk show dedicated to my new-favorite program, I was in.

At that point, I had heard of podcasts, but I hadn’t checked any out. I downloaded a couple episodes, burned them onto CDs, and dropped them into my car for my next half-hour drive. Before I played the first one, as I was putting the CD in, I got a full-on adrenaline rush from my gut, like I was on the precipice of something new and exciting. GWC did not disappoint. The first couple episodes featured call-in guest Very Jerry (?) and Audra’s “Here in CIC” BSG song. I’m a lifelong glutton for media, music, TV, radio, movies, comics, etc. But this podcast thing impressed me as a bold, potent frontier that was as compelling as any other kind of media outlet out there.

(And that was a correct impression. Late-night talk shows seem positively ridiculous to me now, how they offer 5, maybe 10 minutes of chit-chat with a celebrity, when shows like Nerdist get icons to open up for anywhere from 60 minutes to four hours! But still, no matter how far podcasting has come, GWC remains an all-time favorite. It’s hosts and regulars were 99.99% civilian, but with knowledge on par with any professional pundit.)

Obviously, GWC didn’t invent podcasting or internetz forumming, but it represented the best aspects of social media before “social media” was a thing. (And, sadly, the rise of social media has drained away the forum traffic…)

The show kept me company during a couple long years, when I’d wake up at 3 am and drive to work in the darkness. As episodes became longer, when I faced a two-hour drive for a holiday weekend, I came to embrace any opportunity to sit and soak in the sci-fi talk. When I first started listening, our first child was a few months old, and putting her to sleep was never easy. I spent a lot of time driving her around to lull her into unconsciousness. And having GWC to listen to made many of countless drives far more enjoyable.

BSG was — is — enthralling, and it just needed to be parsed, mulled over, and discussed. At that point, we were living in a new state, I was working weird hours, and for the other non-Battlestar 167 hours of the week, I didn’t have anyone to talk about the show with. Audra, Chuck, and Sean filled that void. And, over time so did the growing legion of callers and posters. I wish I could recall every single favorite call-in moment, but there were so many, I lost track. Week after week, someone always made me think about my favorite show in a new way.

And as the show’s list of topics expanded, the conversation only grew better. I loved moments like Starbuccanneer/KLucassm calling in to draw parallels between Roslin’s latest political imbroglio and an obscure episode in US presidential history. And it was always great to hear callers who would reference some obscure cultural product I loved. Or people like GalaxyRising/Julie, whose voicemails contained phrases like, “And I just happened to have a sonic screwdriver with me, so…” And folks from all over the world, such as the long-absent GalaxyRanger. If I start naming great people I’ve met (or never actually met, but kinda know) via GWC, I’ll be here all day, and I’ll still forget some names…

Anyway, it was always nice to pour a morning coffee, log in, and see a series of posts updated minutes ago. GWCers are cool, thoughtful people. And most people aren’t thoughtful.

When the GWC website grew from a comments section to a Forum, I groaned, because did the world need another website full of snarky nerds snarking at each other? In the past, shows like Buffy had prompted me to check out a message board or two. And… well, you know what typical forums are like. But BSG, again, was the kind of show that required some interactive discourse. So I logged on and hastily chose the throwaway handle “dxf.” If I had any idea how much time I’d have spent on the boards, I’d have picked a better name. At the time, posting online was completely uncharacteristic for me. But with my head full of BSG and GWC, it seemed necessary. And it was.

Y’all know the rest. GWC grew and grew, until it wasn’t just a podcast, and it wasn’t just a forum, and it wasn’t just an online community. I think it turned a corner when Armando — who was one of the site’s hyperarticulate, bright people whose posts I enjoyed — was in a bad situation. His young daughter was going through some tough times, and Armando just needed some positive energy from anyone who was willing to send some his way. As a fellow new parent, I didn’t envy his position. And I understood how significant it was that someone would think to post such a personal call on a science fiction website. For me, that’s the moment GWC was no longer just a podcast & forum; that’s the point when it became a real community. He wasn’t the last person that GWC was able to offer some kind words & support when they needed it.

Let’s face it: Even when you have great people in your world, life can be lonely, whether you’re driving or work, or you’re stuck at a computer all day, or you’re the only person you know who’s fixated on an hourlong genre cable drama. It’s important to have people who get your references, who appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Over the years, those of us who were lucky enough to call in and make it to the meetups —

Aside: I wish I’d gone to more meetups, but life gets in the way. In 2011, at the last minute, I decided to scrap my plans for the weekend, buy a ticket, and go to the meetup. After spending a day figuring the logistics and finances, I looked at the calendar and noticed my wife was going out of town. And I couldn’t go. That sucked.

— were literally welcomed into Chuck & Audra’s home, both online and in real life. They were gracious hosts, and while I certainly can’t claim I was close with the Crüe, I do know they were hellaciously busy during GWC’s biggest years. They easily could have skipped weeks or recorded one long session a month and broke it into four parts. But they didn’t. They kept the long podcasts coming, fresh, week after week after week, regardless of holidays, regardless of how complicated & busy their personal lives were.

Along the way, mostly with help from other people who generously shared their talents, I was able to make a meager contribution or two:

I loved Chuck & Audra’s initial GWC “poundy drums” music, and somehow got it into my head that it should have techno remix. Musician and swell guy Joe Minadeo kindly remixed and extended the theme in several iterations, including what became the permanent outtra music. He also composed the original music for the GWC Christmas episodes, which belong on a Hollywood soundtrack somewhere. Minadeo is a great guy — this point bears repeating — and a helluva musician, whose body of work includes a THX trailer, documentary scores, hip-hop, commercial music, and endless instrumental music that I can listen to on infinite repeat (his Low in the Sky project is my favorite). If you need some music, look his way.

DJ Cable — an electronic artist of some note with the group goth-ish Encoder — kindly composed the “new hotness” techno theme that eventually became GWC’s intro music.

Of course — or maybe not “of course,” since it always warrants a mention — Minadeo and Cable’s valuable contributions pale in comparison to regulars whom we seldom saw or heard. Juan and his tech skills made so much of GWC possible, not to mention the Crüe’s unfailing commitment to quality. GWC led me to other podcasts, and I can’t tell you how many podcasts from big names and bigger outlets disappointed me in many ways, from insubstantial content to unlistenable sound quality. In my mind, GWC absolutely set the bar for professionalism in podcasting.

And as the fourm boss, Solai is the invisible pillar who made so much of our online interaction possible…

…not to mention the other moderators who valiantly wield the banhammer, keeping GWC an oasis that remains free from trolls, spam, and the other ills that make online life such a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Over the years, I recommended GWC to more than a few people. Some liked it. Few if any embraced it the way we have. But that’s OK. It just reinforces my impression that GWC is a special place, and GWCers are special people, and it’s not for everybody, and that’s OK.

I could still go on & on, but let’s leave it there. GWC — all of you — thank you being part of the community, and simply for being you. You’re an important part of this, whoever you are.

As Chuck said every week: “Our mission: enjoy new science-fiction, fantasy, and other cool stuff every week, and share the experience with you — oh yeah, and have some fun in the process.”

Mission accomplished.

Peace,

dxf