Terminator Salvation (with SPOILERS!!!) Chat

So i saw it last night and have been digesting for almost 24 hours now and i must say I am still underwhelmed with the movie. I really REALLY wanted to love this movie. Perhaps i built it up to much for myself. I found much of the dialogue to be incredibly forced. Also i found much of the story and characters extraneous.

I think the Resistance Leaders and “signal” story line were completely unnecessary. I know it was supposed to be a set up for a trap to lure Conner into the Skynet base but the same thing could have been done by taking the prisoners alone. AS much as i love Mikey Ironside his character and the other resistance leaders did nothing. They were the terminator equivalent of a Star Trek Admiral.

I thot most of the cast itself served no purpose. The little girl Star…brought nothing to the story in fact i think she kind of weakened Kyles character.
They tried to give Commons character aback story but it as completely wasted. Conner’s wife also was wasted.

I found it annoying that Skynet set the trap for Connor letting its defense systems get turned off yet it failed to reactivate itself once all the helicopters start flying in and taking everyone away.

I think they used the run into humans who are willing to kill humans one to many times. I understand it helps set the mood for the world but it took away from the story. I like the first one better. Watching the near rape seen was unnecessary. It would have been better if it were a Terminator attack.

That all said there were some things i really did enjoy. I loved the terminators in this. I thot it was so cool to see the giant terminator launch the cycles down its legs. i first thot it was going to transform into a big truck and got really excited. It was also really awesome to watch the big guy ride the transport vehicle like a motorcycle.

The action scenes were actually really cool. They did those really well. And they even managed to break a stupid movie trick of shooting a tanker and making it explode. I also liked all the callbacks to the other movies.

Now some nitpicks that bugged me

Kyle Reese really did nothing the entire movie out side of saving Marcus the first time. He did some support fighting off the motorcycles but he was mostly a damsel in distress the entire movie. Which bothered me when he gets the coat with the blood mark. At that point he didn’t deserve it. I think it would have been much better and more meaningful if he got it in a later movie.

The fact that Skynet was filled with lights. Terminators dont need light. It would work to their advantage if the complex were lightless

The Cycles had handles and shifters (seemingly) now this might also be so another terminator could ride on one of them.

I am starting to get really sick of the having humans being thrown into walls and cars and things and getting back up like nothing happened.

Speaking of getting sick i am done with just out flying explosions. (which in fairness only happened once in this).

And to leaving on a lighter note.

I think it is clearly a really bad idea to let John Conner fly a helicopter. Once he gets behind the stick he ends up crashing it moments later.

so What say you all.

Respectfully sir, I must disagree with you on some things.

Things I enjoyed:

• Addressing the fact that yes, Kyle Reese is younger than his son John Connor.
  • Linda Hamilton’s voice from beyond the 80s.
  • Humans not completely powerless when fighting the machines. A-10s FTW. (Also, realistic weapons… no lasers.)
  • “What do I tell them?” “I’ll be back.”
  • 1980s Arnold
  • The many references to the previous films, even the few good aspects of T3.
  • The Resistance leadership. It’s logical to assume that military guys would be leading the military campaign against the machines.
  • The way Skynet played both Marcus and John Connor.

Things I didn’t:

• The kid.
  • John Connor takes one hell of a beating from Arnold and still keeps ticking.
  • Disproportionate HP of the robotcycles vs. the cyborgs. Kyle blows up a cycle with one grenade round, yet the same grenades can’t kill the T-800 with three or four blasts?
  • The sudden willingness for Blair to help Marcus break out of the Resistance prison.

Hey to each there own. I agree that the leadership should be Military leaders however their only purpose in this film was to get John Connor angry. then he gets to tell the world ignore these guys. Then they die. Its one of those movie cliches that i am sick of, having the military leaders be blood thirsty incompetent fools.

The Blair thing…totally agree. I also she fell “in love” with him waaayy to easily.

I actually agree with most of the things you liked in the film. although i do think they nerfed the A-10s some. They should have been able to take a bigger beating than they did. I love the A10 its been my favorite plane for probably close to 17 years or so. Followed now by the F22. The fact that they used A-10s is something i really dug. It is probably the best plane to use against the terminators seeing as the terminators are more ore less tanks.

Just got home from seeing Terminator and I gotta say I loved it !
Yes, there are things I was less than impressed with, (aren’t there always), but the overall effect, I thought it was a good movie. I’d see it again.

Things I liked:

• Christian Bale as John Connor
  • the Arnold Terminator
  • Connor’s “I’ll be back”
  • Marcus
  • the terminatorbikes
    There’s more, but my brain is telling me to go bed.

Iliked the movie a LOT until it got to the point at the end that skynet was states that it is aware of ALL the events of T1 and T2.

WTF!

It makes a better movie if John Conner knows the future and Skynet doesn’t. Evidently Hollywood thinks the only way you can make a terminator movie is for it to be all about both sides knowing the outcome of the fight and trying to subvert it. WTF! WTF! I thought this was supposed to be the movie where we just got to see the WAR… not more and more “fighting the future”. ( it reeks of the same crappy hollywood crap that thought that an “Aliens 4 and 5” movie couldn’t be made without Riply- like somehow she is what made the movie good. and that ANOTHER story involveing the stars [Aliens] wouldn’t work without her).

It seems to me if Skynet and Conner would spend their effort actually fighting the war, instead of following the “fight the future” formula, one side would win.

I mean if SKYNET can shoot down their missles and airstrikes ( according to that Gen in the beggining) without the “signal”… shouldn’t it be able to shoot down the hueys! Don’t they put their base on alert once John Conner is there? They only have one Terminator of any model in all of skynet HQ!!! WTF!!! Why didn’t skynet go on full alert to kill john? Why didn’t they just kill Kyle Reece when he was in custody? ( bigest unforgivable plot hole ever) Why didn’t they have Marcus just kill John Conner? They programed him to do everything else and think it’s his idea! Why didn’t they just have him kill Reece?

This movie works if you just don’t have skynet knowing all the details of Terminators 1 and 2. Have skynet after him because he’s a good leader. Have it send marcus to infiltrate! but just DON’T have skynet know the whole story!

Once again… I can NERD UP and figure out a way to make it work… but I shouldn’t have to do that!

I can think that maybe Kyle’s testimony in the police station and Sarah’s rants in the asylum could become records that changed history…Skynet didn’t even know who what she looked like in T1. Maybe the future get’s changed and all that… but tell us that is what’s up. Don’t just have circuler time travel knowledge with no explanation. It’s just poor movie makeing.

Also… didn’t they watch T1. The terminators T-800’s were practicaly brand new when Kyle is like 28-30. They have this t-800 comeing out like 10 years earlier.

If their going to change everything up… acknowledge it IN MOVIE so that it doesn’t look like hack writeing!

I did like the movie despite the last 25 mins and I really really liked the T-800 showing up , even if it didn’t make sense!!!

i didn’t love the movie, mostly because it just didn’t seem to be focused on an important pivotal event like the past movies were.

maybe because this takes place in the future so it’s not about fighting the future in the past (although previous poster thought they still did that in this movie i’m not sure i saw it that way)

anyways, it just seemed like the only significant event was that john found kyle but that didn’t feel that significant the way they did it.
and the whole storyline of the terminator with organs who ‘thinks he’s human’ just seemed like a side plot… but then so do all the plot lines… none feel like the main one. that’s what i didn’t like i think

(oh and i agree it’s dumb they didn’ just kill kyle as soon as they had him, but maybe using him for bait is understandable. but i agree with others comments on some of the plot points that didn’t make sense)

the new wife actress didn’t do much for me, no comparison to claire danes from the last movie!

oh well i guess after loving t3 so much it’s inevitable that 4 won’t live up to my expectations. i didn’t hate it but it’s just “good” not excellent (to me anyways).

I wanted to dig this movie. I really did. But the longer it went on the dumber it got. I thought they’d actually kill off John Conner, but he’d have saved Kyle Reese and his wife would be pregnant with THE John Conner who will go on to become resistance leader and send Kyle back in time. But no, it just goes out on Christian Bale’s absurd narration. Dug seeing Arnie. Always like to see Moon Bloodgood and Bryce Dallas Howard, even all preggers. Glad there’s no shortage of teeth whitener in the future. I figured there was no way this could be worse than T3, which actually gets a bad rap, just had a lame third act. This was FAR worse. Just plain sucked.

[QUOTE=monster_jester;184576] I figured there was no way this could be worse than T3, which actually gets a bad rap, just had a lame third act. This was FAR worse. QUOTE]

Hey, let’s not forget just how much T3 sucked… remeber the nanites that allow alow a police car to drive it’s self just like Maximum Overdrive? Yeah … forgot that didn’t ya’ll… that alone makes T3 worse than anything this movie could do! ( if not for the Nanites… and T-x makes judgement day happen,… I would like T-3. but that crap was unforgiveable)

I liked T4 better than T3. I find T3 to be puzzlingly bad.

One major beef with I have with T4 is this: The movie has half a twist at best, and the entire thing was given away in all commercials. So you don’t get much out of watching the movie that you don’t get from the trailer.

Not the director’s fault, but…

I saw this movie. I was entertained. I do have some real problems that I bet get sorted out for me in the directors cut.

Mostly though, I found it to be an Action movie that had action, some story… a lot of “in jokes” so that we realized that it was a terminator movie.

but there was not anything so wrong with this movie that it became bad. it moved along,

however I had to look up McG (the director) and as far as I am concerned the best thing on his resume is the Pilot of “Chuck”…

why he got this franchise is as puzzling as why J.J. Abrams got Star Trek…

J.J. did better saving that franchise… but Terminator 5 is already in development and McG is going to direct again…

I had fun… The popcorn was OK… the Coke was too big… the movie was worth the 8.50… (Yes this was another Friday Lunch “meeting”)

Fresh minds, new ideas. Be tolerant.

Seriously? Seriously seriously?? What movie were you watching!? :confused:

Didn’t you get that that was pretty much the entire crux of the plot? This was the meaning of Conner’s line of trailer-fame: “This was not the future my mother warned me about, and in this future, I’m not sure we can win this war.” (or something to that effect)

The whole point of Salvation was that, for some reason, the experimentation with live humans and ultimately the production of the T-800 was occurring over a decade earlier than John had anticipated. That’s why he seemed so spooked when he saw the T-800 schematics for the first time; he thought he had much more time to prepare for their arrival, and now that the timeline has been shifted, he realizes he doesn’t have the “opponent’s playbook” he thought he had.

What went wrong with Terminator Salvation.

Wow, thanks for that, Pike. I had no idea there was so much crap going on behind the scenes for this movie! Great article!

Yeah, great insight into why so many Hollywood movies are crap.

If the movie were shot as is but with john connor as just a voice. I think it would have been so much better. As it was the movie was made up of to many b plots and not one A plot amongs them

I saw it on Saturday and very few folks were in the theater, though we were at an older one.

I can agree with many of the points. I was hoping to see something beyond the set- the- future- to- save- the- past- and- secure- the- future. The stories I was interested in were- how John Conner met Kyle and how he knew to trust a T-800 to protect him for T2. The movie might have been better with just sticking to these stories. I would have loved to see John challenged by his human community for trusting Marcus. Just seems like there were many missed opportunities for great storytelling. I also would have liked to have seen more of daily life for the humans. Still, it wasn’t a bad day at the movies.

I am OK with new Idea’s if they are made well. it Qualifications I am looking for, to be handed these major projects.

I just got back from this a bit ago, I must say I really enjoyed it. I made sure to go in with medium expectations, and they were exceeded. People verses machine war, awesome. Amazing special effects, Governator, it was great. The gravelly Christian Bale voice gets a bit old, but I guess there’s no getting away from it. I thought all the acting was really great, and with the exception of John swimming down to a submarine, the action was mostly believeable. Seriously, how did he get on that thing??

The story had a lot to it, yes, but it was well paced and easy to follow. I was interested through the whole thing, and I was interested in all of the characters. I’m so happy the little girl (Star, I think?) didn’t get killed off. Also, I reeeeeally liked the Marcus character!!!

I’ll end my rave there, but I just wanted to get my bit in there. At the moment I’ll give it a 8/10, after post movie delirium fades that may change.

Then they should have spelled it out in the movie as plot… not hoped I had maybe watched a trailer. Or not had the fans have to buy tie in books or get on the internet to have that told to them.

But the the t-800 wasn’t eralier than john expected. It’s specs were in the computer during the raid at the beggining and John’s buddy even says… “just like you said”