Stargate Universe

Cost? Lotta high salaries.

Yup, which is why BSG wasn’t really long for this world either.

Aint that the truth sigh

Anyway. In an expanded universe then :slight_smile:

Can’t wait for this new series to air.

I was so pissed when they canceled Atlantis for stupid reason like, victim of its own success (or of SG1). What a load of crap so instead of watching it every week we have to wait a year or so for a 2h movie. Arg I was (and still am) so mad.

Lets hope this series doesn’t do too well but enough so it doesn’t get canned to do stupid movies.

I hate studio(movies or TV) executives. What a bunch of … (sorry Barb)

Too bad they fired the whole crew of Atlantis.

Potentially true, except that the announcement of BSG’s final season, the cancellation of Atlantis at it’s highest ratings ever and the announcement of Universe the very next day are all very suspect when taken in a certain light. SG-1 was planned to go at least one more year, Atlantis up to two. The debate rages at another board where I’m a member, but there is so much deceipt and misinformation regarding Atlantis’s cancellation it’s hard to tell what they intend to do with this new show. A few examples: they claim it was cancelled because of high cost, except this new show looks to be no cheaper and Robert Carlysle is getting a bigger salary than any of the people on Atlantis had; Brad Wright has said if Atlantis was doing well ratings wise it wouldn’t have been cancelled, but the ratings were the highest they’d ever been; they claim that the show would live on in DTV movies that were being made instead to keep the series alive, but reports now show that the only “planned” film may not even get made.

The basic concept is a group of people stranded far from Earth with incredible technology at their disposal and the ability to explore the universe, but they just want to get home, a return to normality. The most popular sci-fi on TV right now is about that pursuit in some sense (Lost, Heroes, BSG, etc…) in a dramatic, character driven way. BSG was one of the biggest shows on TV in recent years, in it’s absence I think Brad Wright and Robert Cooper are trying to fill it.

Granted, I don’t think that’ll make this show bad, I am still very pissed at Atlantis’s cancellation though because it was unnecessary. MGM is acting fishy about the whole thing.

Explain.
Im certanly going to watch it, but im very sad, still. SG1 is the reason i got into and scifi, and has shaped my life in a very profound way. Its going to be sad to see the “classic” Stargate be over

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/exclusive-fir-1.html

saw this clip of the cast in case you are intersted. There’s also supposed ot be an ad after the finale tonight…
ain’t no BSG, but…
pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck

my fear is that it will be Stargate Voyager.

Did anyone see the new preview during BSG’s finale? I knew what it was the moment I saw Robert Carlysle, yet I could have sworn it was just another episode of BSG in the way it was presented, and as many people have I have spoken to have said, the basic premise is very close to Voyager. That idea is a sci-fi staple though and it is still Stargate. If the last 13 years of Stargate were any indication, the writers are very good at their jobs and I have high hopes with a more dramatic show. I just hope it retains at least some of the trademark humor too.

http://io9.com/5198302/stargate-gets-philosophical-with-new-trailer?autoplay=true?skyline=true&s=i

feels a little BSG-ish…maybe just me

I agree, I’m getting a strong BSG vibe too.

So I have been rewatching some of the episodes. Having been filmed in Vancouver many of our favorite actors had appeared in SG-1 (pre BSG). I just had a WTF moment when I saw Aaron Douglas for the second time as a Jaffa in the Season 6 - Redemption Pt2, yet he died as another Jaffa in Season 3 - Maternal Instincts. :confused:

After seeing the panel discussion for this show at Comic-Con, I’m pretty excited. I’ve watched little SG, mostly due to time/life constraints, but I’m now eager for something new and fun.

Good for you. SG is fun. Its normal level is Firefly fun, but occasionally they ramp it up. You’re going to enjoy it.

I know the hardcore Gate fans are bashing the new show but I honestly think it sounds really good and looks even better…

If these “hardcore Gate fans” miss out on SGU, it’s their beer. (meaning their fault)

I liked SG-1 and to a certain extent SGA, but more serialized shows like BSG and LOST are much more gripping and engaging the watchers.

Not ALL hardcore SG fans are bashing it :stuck_out_tongue:

What two hardcore SG fans might look like.

Originaly posted by Uchiha Daisuke

I just had a WTF moment when I saw Aaron Douglas for the second time as a Jaffa in the Season 6 - Redemption Pt2, yet he died as another Jaffa in Season 3 - Maternal Instincts.
Problem solved. Arron Douglas played long lost twin Jaffa that were separated at birth and dropped by the front door of two different Goa’uld with nothing but snakeskin blankies and a sad note. The tragedy of this is that never got to meet. :slight_smile:

Sweet!!!

IMO there is just something special about the whole Stargate franchise even beyond the actors. The entire production crew contributes to a product I really enjoy and can be recognized by the finished product. I look forward to anything they want to give us. :wink:

I’m totally engrossed in SG-1 right now. (And I’m feeling “I FRAKKIN TOLD YOU SOs” aimed at the back of my head from across town right now from the fans pictured above, who, BTW, should have some dinner with us sometime…) Such great stuff. All the things that turned me off about the series when I first saw it are now the things I love the most.

And it’s awesome to have a new series to watch with so many seasons available. I’m good to go for a bit, at least – then Atlantis! I’ll be all over SG-U when it’s out.