Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 5/22

Tuesday, 22 May 2012
7:30 PM Eastern - 4:30 PM Pacific
(Calculate Time Zone)

We’ll have to push this back to 7:30 since there is a book fair at my daughter’s school this evening. Frak you then.

Running late. Should start around 8.

Alrighty. We’re here. Starting at 8pm.

OK. I’ve decided not to rag on the Prequels. So, I will point everything OSSIM about them.

Here goes.

1. The trailers were OSSIM. They got everyone psych’d about the movie. The intrigue, Darth Maul, Palpy’s ‘Wipe them out. All of them’, and Obi-wan’s NOOOOOOO!!!

OSSIM Reason #2. Already have a DVD version of the original film. GL can change it all he likes.

OSSIM Reason #3 The music. I remember sitting in the theatre and hearing the Star Wars theme for this film. My heart was racing. More Star Wars. We’re going to see more Star Wars!! John Williams is the OSSIM.

For me, seeing STAR WARS emblazoned across the big screen (at midnight showing) and hearing those first notes of the theme, just magical.

OSSIM Reason #4 The set design and production. This would make a wonderful “silent” film. Y’know, just music and effects no dialogue. Everything feels real. Wonderful job making the Star Wars universe real.

“Send a droid.”

OSSIM Reason #5: Palpy. “Get this stunted slim out of my sight immediately!”

Keep that little guy ready. He’s gonna be busy this evening. For example, the Viceroy’s accent.

See, but that part makes no sense. Why ask for the Jedi’s help and then order them killed? There had to be a more efficient way to get rid of them, if at was his intention.

OSSIM Reason #5: The Jedi battle with the droids.

I figure we can just take him as read for this movie. :slight_smile:

Oh never mind. I forgot he wasn’t chancellor yet.

Don’t get me started on not making sense. I’m trying to be positive. The whole frakkin story makes no sense.

Of course, there is the whole duality of the character as he plays all sides.

OSSIM Reason #6: The CGI. Amazing and visually stunning. I’m old skool and all, lovin models and stuff. But I loved staring at this movie even if the story made me eek.

And with a single action, Qui-Gon dooms the Galaxy to decades of suffering. :frowning:

The night I saw this for the first time, we were lead to our seats by a 16 year old wearing a Jar Jar hat. She was shrieking that he was her favorite character. I shrugged. I wonder how she feels about him now. She was all caught in the excitement of the movie. I wonder if she has joined the crowd again and is hatin on Jar Jar.