Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 5/22

It’s he aliens from The Abyss! :eek:

Funny you say that. I was going to mention that actually this movie is Jar Jar’s story. It is his journey. He follows the Hero’s journey in this film.

I have to admit, he didn’t bother me at first. The Trade Federation’s accents made me cringe right off, but it was such a spectacle and it had been such a long time since new Star Wars, I was ensorcelled for a time.

OSSIM Reason #7: Qui-gon’s subtle use of the Force.

Although he & the Gungans could be lifted right out of the story without affecting much.

OSSIM Reason #8: Underwater for the first time in the Star Wars universe. Adventure even lurks under the sea!

In what possible way is going through a planet the quickest way?

OSSIM Reason #9: The Queen’s wardrobe. As I mentioned the film is a visual masterpiece.

Bugs and Daffy did it all the time to travel to China.

OSSIM Reason #10: Jedi fighting. I want a frakkin lightsaber. I don’t dig the Jedi or their tactics. IMO, they abuse their power and justify to themselves. They follow the Force, bla bla bla. But they seriously kick arse!

The carnage of the droids. “No one cares about upsetting a droid.” That’s because a droid doesn’t wield a lightsaber like a bully.

OSSIM Reason #11: Peter Griffin clapping like a fool Darth Maul!!

My reaction to R2 in this. Meh. I wasn’t excited about seeing Artoo and Threepio in this.

Of all of the issues that the prequels raise, I think the most troubling one is the tacit approval of slavery. I mean, the droids, the clone army, Anakin & his mother, even the Queen’s “servants”. The Empire was evil, yeah, but an entire subclass of sentient beings as property was well in place before Palpatine ever came around. :frowning:

While I watched this for the first time I remember saying, “Huh, why is Natalie Portman playing both characters? OOooooo, I get it.”

I would have preferred seeing a baby Han Solo. Or even a young Tarkin!

I took it a bit further with my version. If the galaxy had no problem with killing second-class citizens and freaks, why not bring on an Empire?

See? The only person who has a problem with slavery is a slave! WTF?

I was sooo hoping for Tarkin. I wanted him to be the architect of the Empire. I was also excited about Jango and Boba but didn’t dig the whole link to the clones.

The Republic doesn’t condone it. But as you mentioned, they have no problem with abusing droids and later clones.