Star Wars Ep.4: A New Hope

Leading into our post-BSG-4.0 Star Wars podcast arc, we’re asking that everyone take a little time out sometime in the next few weeks to pull out their copies of the Star Wars movies and give 'em a re-watch.

Feel free to discuss here, and don’t be afraid to call in your Star Wars audio comments any time – we’ll queue 'em up for use in the appropriate podcast during the arc.

This is my all-time favorite film. I can watch it anyday, anytime. Like many others it is ingrained in memory. From the opening scroll to the Death Star explosions, you are taken to a place long ago in a galaxy far, far away. It resonates and you don’t want it to leave.

this is the one I can truly watch in my head. I had an 8-track called The Story of Star Wars, which was a huge portion of the movie’s soundtrack (dialogue, sound effects, music) narrated by…oh, craaaap! I can’t remember his name. anyhow, I listened to that thing over and over again, made the kids I babysat every afternoon act it out with me.

yeah, I know, they’re probably in therapy now.

Anybody, but especially you younglings, needs to read “The Secret History of Star Wars” (free PDF online, google is your friend.) It shows pretty clearly how the story has developed over the years.
[spoiler] Darth wasn’t Luke’s father when this one was shot. [/spoiler]

Lady D, I have, (HAVE, STILL!), “The Story” on a record album…it came with a neat booklet of photos from the film…played it like you did, too…my poor parents, no wonder they built me a room in the basement.

Top! put me out of my misery! who’s the narrator??? (I have the impression that it’s an african-american, 3 names, not James Earl Jones)

Roscoe Lee Brown, according to Wiki…

duh! why didn’t I think of Wiki?

I’ve got a two record collection of the music from A New Hope as well…just the music. Beautiful. It’s from the same era, 1977. I’m glad I took care of this stuff. It probably was my first intro to symphony. Led Zeppelin and John Williams, that’s what was on my turntable !

I still have a turntable just for that purpose. I can only listen to Zeppelin on it. Zep on CD is just missing something. But I’m going off topic.

STAR WARS ROCKS!!!

Dude! /spoiler man!

:stuck_out_tongue:

I remember being at the dentist’s office, and opening up a Time Magazine. It was the one with a featured article on Star Wars, before the movie came out I think. My 14 yr old eyes took in the pictures of the Tie Fighter with dual bolts of energy blasting from it, and another of a lightsaber battle between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan. Seriously considered rolling up the magazine and hiding it in my coat. Didn’t, but boy was I hooked.

Oh! I’m sorry. Allow me to remove that rock you’ve been living under.:smiley:

Most awesome movie of all time. While I don’t have the record or tape of the narration/score, I do have the “Star Wars Christmas Album”. On tape and as well as on cd (thanks to a co-worker who is more geeky than I!). I know, it’s cheesy but I love it. “What Can You Get A Wookie For Christmas” is one of my favorite holiday tunes! :slight_smile:

I remember standing in a line with my brother at a small shopping center with a large dome theater in Pleasant Hill, California. The line nearly rapped around the entire complex at the peak of the hype. This back when movies would be in theaters for more than a few weeks.

I also remember playing with all kinds of Star Wars action figures. I had a troop transport that fired plastic missles, an x-wing, and some other play sets. From the moment I saw the storm troopers I was in love that costume. For Halloween that year I dressed up a Luke Skywalker. The main reason was it was cheap costume to knock off. I would have been over the moon if there was a good storm trooper costume for kids back then. The only thing they had back then was those awrful plastic face masks with the cheap fabric thing that was supposed to simulate the look of the rest of the storm trooper outfit.

My brother had and still has the fake wood grain Atari 2600 and I remember playing The Empire Strikes Back for hours every day for like a month. It was repetitive and looked super blocky, but back then it was cool. I remember everyone going gah-gah over the vector graphics based Star Wars game where you did the Death Star run.

Alls I can say in Star Wars: A New Hope is what reminded media companies Sci-Fi fans have bucks to spend when the product is good. It was the beginning of sci-fi going mainstream.

I was lucky enough to visit Skywalker Ranch back in the 1990s and it was amazing. The money and technology Lucas has made was truly sparked by this movie. THX-1138 was an interesting, but kind of lacking sci-fi flick and thankfully American Grafifiti went over well or George Lucas may never had a chance to make this movie.

I can understand why some see the film as a little cheesy at times, but for 1977 this was mind blowing. For me, as a 5 year old, it took my breathe away. It might have been the first non-kiddie film I ever saw and I have been a sci-fi fan ever since.

What I remember about seeing “Star Wars” during its original theatrical run (I was 5 in 1977 – dating myself!) is how much I could remember, blow by blow, of the movie - I mean dialogue, action, everything. I could practically recite the thing, and I think I only saw it twice in the theaters – remember, it stuck around for at least a full year (this was before the days of Big Opening Weekend and then gone by month’s end). I do not know how I could remember so much except to speculate that kids’ memories must just work better than grown-ups, because now my 6-year-old is the same way with stuff he’s only seen once. What a shame, as Mark Twain said (I think), that youth is wasted on the young…

At any rate, I am excited that GWC is doing a Star Wars rewatch. Just make sure you then give Star Trek “equal time.” :wink:

well I suppose I’ll host this one.

the upcoming sunday. Don’t forget to join in

4:00Pm Eastern time zone.

3:00Pm Central time zone.

2:00Pm Mountain time zone.

1:00Pm pacific Time zone

12:00 Alaska

10:00Am Hawaii

I’m not as excited for this one as I was for the prequels (sorry guys!), but it should be lots of fun.

And for those non-cool-kids who haven’t checked out the earlier SW frak parties, they can be found for The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, the ongoing Clone Wars Vol. 1 and 2 discussion, and my personal favorite, Revenge of the Sith.

Well, I’m glad we are finally tackling the OT. Come on, this is The Star Wars. The one that gave us what we all know and love today. :smiley:

ya the prequels are so awsome