Star Trek Online ... and Hi

In case you haven’t heard…

Cryptic decoded by Perfect World
Chinese MMORPG developer buys Star Trek Online, Champions developer from Atari for $50 million in cash.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6316270/cryptic-decoded-by-perfect-world

Perfect World acquires Cryptic Studios
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/perfect-world-acquires-cryptic-studios/
“Perfect World Company has inked a deal to purchase Cryptic from Atari. Euro Investor has the full agreement between the two companies, which details the specifics of this $50+ million purchase. The Chinese firm, which already has a host of MMOs under its umbrella, is taking over 100% of Cryptic’s equity from Atari.”

fraking a…

This Perfect World company is actually on NASDAQ, code:PWRD.

It’s made a bunch of Chinese themed MMOs. They are pretty mediocre… and that’s being kind. Here in Taiwan their games rely on hiring really busty celebrities to make a couple of clothes-challenged TV ads for them and get people to try their game and then they’d make another really similar game and do the same thing, so when people leave one mediocre game, they unknowingly switched to another by the same company.

Hopefully this is PWRD trying to branch out to the international market and hires Cryptic to make games good enough for the International market. Most of all, i hope they leave the STO team as they are.

I hear ya hansioux…I’m skeptical about this.

I have an account but I havent played for 2 months. I had gotten my 2nd ship when i was still playing. Just havent had the time. I’ve been playing eve and dragon age.

they have actually also purchased Runic, which is pretty much the team that made Diablo and they are releasing a game called Torchlight.

i dunno… the torchlight game looks good, but it’s just yet another fantasy mmo… Star Trek Online is the ONLY Star Trek MMO…

Getting permission and licensing can be a pita I imagine.

Well Torchlight 1 was basically Diablo 2 in one dungeon. Second game is adding co-op then the MMO…

I’ll prolly be back in STO a bit depending how much time I take from SWTOR because…

Perfect World Entertainment confirms Star Trek Online going F2P this year
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/perfect-world-entertainment-confirms-star-trek-online-going-f2p/

and…

Dan Stahl addresses Star Trek Online F2P concerns
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/01/dan-stahl-addresses-star-trek-online-f2p-concerns/

Hey fastcart, I’m a lifetimer in STO and i was just looking around the forums here for other GWC-ers who also play. My handle is @tonyex in the game. If you see me in-game, ping me.

Edit: changed my handle to be correct.

Hey Toni, I’ll try to look you up once STO goes F2P.

Sure, I’ll keep an eye out for you.

I was thinking that the f2p would be a way to give a 2nd chance at a first impression, and perhaps a number of GWC would be interested in starting a char. For me having people to play with has been incredibly important in surviving the small and large dramas around STO for the last year.

Check your email. Free to play is up and running for all past subscribers (including the freebie one month trial subs I guess). Open to entire public on January 17th. Very crowded with grinding current subscribers amidst returning rusty Vice Admiral re-noobs. Lots of joking about F2P :smiley:

I haven’t logged in since last January so ~ 2GB patch for me to get current.

I got the email, but I’m all about The Old Republic now. Sorry.

Playing every day! The game stays fun, and we’ve had a huge influx of people, both new and returning.

The big deal is the new Odyssey class starship coming out this weekend. It is the successor to the Sovereign class, the old Enterprise-E. I took a quick spin on the test server, and it was a little too much like the old Galaxy class, IMO. It may well be indestructible, but the slow turning rate drove me crazy.

The best part: the Lt. Cmdr Universal bridge officer slot. I imagine the best build for that ship is going to be as a Science-oriented ship. Feedback Pulse will be an interesting option, as well as healing-heavy builds.

Next Saturday, all hell breaks loose on DS9. New feature episode “2800” combined with new gameplay features roll out. I’m a little more impressed than usual.

//youtu.be/B5znfFotn0A

Great to see other GWCers are (still?) playing. I was early adopter in 2010, and played off and on for about a year till I let the subscription drop. I’ve been back at it since it went F2P, and I’m impressed with the tweaks they’ve put in over the past year. I’m a bit rusty, and my characters are still fairly low (two at level 12, and one just through the tutorial; I’m keeping her in reserve to play through when I’ve leveled up the other two), so I’ve a lot of content to get to.

My STO ID is dkompare as well; I’d love to see other GWCers in game!

DK

Oooh… They’re teasing us with EVA suits! I doubt a Foundry author could force that into hie/her own missions.

Well it’s been a while since I’ve been to this thread. I just happened to notice Cryptic released a new video yesterday announcing new upcoming content… Season 7 - New Romulus.

//youtu.be/7V1E-PBMLuI

I haven’t been in STO for quite a while so this caught me by surprise. Admittedly, I’m a bit behind the ball and I’m not sure how old this news is. It looks like they’re finally introducing the Romulans as a playable faction with next month’s expansion Legacy of Romulus. So many games, so little time…

//youtu.be/pZcvK6Gj9WM

Anyone still playing? I downloaded this a couple days ago.