Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 5x10 Rapture

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Tuesday, 2 July 2013
11 PM Eastern - 8 PM Pacific

“What I believe in… is faith. Without it, there can be no victory.”

Oh dude the new uniforms.

20,000 years old? Bajoran art restoration must be very advanced.

Or the preservation is excellent :stuck_out_tongue:

So how did humans end up such a big part of the Federation, again? We’re such cosmic babies!

Vulcan hand-holding. And our gift of Lt. Bailey to the First Federation, in exchange for tranya. :slight_smile:

So cute, Quark has all of the flags! Royal Anglican Air has nothing on him!

A pagh’tem’far

Sort of condescending that an ancient culture like Bajor had to apply for membership to the Federation. And that it took so long to be granted.

To understand the divine is madness? Etc.

Ugh. Kai Winn.
“Major Kira will meet her at the airlock. My apologies” Seriously!

Doesn’t everyone have to apply if they want to join? I’m not super familiar with the pre-DS9, pre-Cardassian place of Bajor in the universe. Besides that crazy ship Ben and Jake reproduced :slight_smile:

Kassidy!

IIRC, they were warp-capable when humans were still painting on cave walls. It’s not so much the application process that bugged me, but that it took years before it was even considered.

Ah, protocol.

I appreciate that Worf’s faith allows him to recognize those things meaningful to Kira’s faith.

oh, Kai Winn. You schemer you.

Worf’s “faith” is problematic, since the Klingons killed all the gods.

So the question here for me is, does Winn really repent of her doubt? Does she actually accept Sisko in his spiritual role as the Emissary? Or is she playing politics?

That’s part of what I think makes Winn such a great villain - can we actually know?

if you don’t like the word faith to describe it, then perhaps his belief system. faith doesn’t always require a deity :rolleyes:

I think her faith is genuine, in her way. The contradictions are certainly part of her character. She can’t deny his role as Emissary logically, but I don’t think she ever accepted him spiritually.

Agreed. Which is why I think everyone (to my knowledge) loves to hate her. Us non-fictional people are all sorts of contradictory all the time, too. :cool:

Jake not wanting to lose his dad to these visions reminds me of how Ben brought Jake back from the writing vampire

I meant more in the sense that Klingon religion is more rooted in the material world. While Worf has had visions, it’s not clear that they’re as important for most Klingons.

Generally speaking, episodes dealing with Bajoran religion hadn’t been particularly popular among either the fans or the studio (see Background Information for the episode “Accession” for more information). As such, the writers and producers were shocked when this episode proved to be exceptionally popular amongst the fans. Executive producer Ira Steven Behr commented on the popularity of this episode, “I was surprised at the response it generated. [The fans] really seemed to take to this, to the spirituality, the faith. This is the episode that made me realize just what we had created in terms of the Bajoran faith and the Emissary. I knew that it was going to become a more and more important part of the show, and that a part of the audience was going to love it.”

Whereas I quite enjoy the Bajoran religion episodes. Sigh.