SG-1 for the first time (back-to-back)

Due to time owing, I have just started a two week holiday (vacation) from work (the first time off I’ve had in 6 months), so I decided to start watching Stargate: SG-1 from the beginning (I have owned the box set for a long time, but have never watched it from the start, in order).

After watching the first season and a half, I am struck by many things:

• the fact that many ideas are solved by pure science
  • the concept that themes re-occur after a mere mention earlier in the series
  • Jack O’Neill is the most interesting/geek friendly character outside of John Crichton & Mal Reynolds
  • the joint conscience of SG-1 overides any idealogy of the individual/state
  • that many “free” races have purposely shunned technology in favour of a more basic existence

Assuming that SG-1 takes over the sci-fi universe after Star Trek: TNG, I’d be interested in other people’s appreciation of the SG-1 universe, based purely on the first 1.5 seasons.

BTW, I’m very impressed with the guest actors in the second season, particularly the Tok’ra, and the little girl in “Bane”.

You’ll see a few of the Tok’ra again (mainly Martouf and Selmak). Also, in later seasons, the girl from Bane plays Cassandra (the girl with the bomb in her chest from season 1).

Welcome aboard Rollin’.

Yeah, you’ve hit on a lot of the big points of season 1/2 of SG1. It actually gets more interesting as they go along and build on some of these ideas. Keep us posted with your thoughts (and which episode you’re up to so we don’t inadvertently spoil you.)

I’m actually spoiled up until the replicators make their appearance, but not entirely - I know the genreal arc, but no the exact details. I watched SG-1 on terrestrial TV here (UK) as much as I could, but it really didn’t fit into my schedule.

Right now I’m amazed as to how much I didn’t know and hadn’t seen - I assumed I hadn’t missed much, but I couldn’t have been more wrong! I guess the devil is actually in the details :slight_smile:

I’m currently watching S02E18: Holiday, but am absorbing the episodes in realtime as long as I’m indoors!

Glad to know that the girl makes a re-appearance - she really impressed me with her naturalism. I could see her now fulfilling a role such as Claudia on Warehouse 13.

I’ll join along for the ride…I’m currently on Thor’s Chariot.

Sorry, just had to comment that at first I thought “on Thor’s Chariot” was a euphemism for something (don’t know what it would be for, though). Made me smile. Thanks!

I always make time during me holidays to marathon something, I’m not sure I could fit in a 10 season show but I would like to think I’d give it a bloody good go:)
Excellent choice of SG1, the SKY screenings were complete but the show was poorly treated by Ch4 (as were most genre imports) and if you didn’t have a DVR well that’s make it even worse.

Assuming that SG-1 takes over the sci-fi universe after Star Trek: TNG, I’d be interested in other people’s appreciation of the SG-1 universe, based purely on the first 1.5 seasons.

BTW, I’m very impressed with the guest actors in the second season, particularly the Tok’ra, and the little girl in “Bane”.

Based purely on my recent rewatching of the first couple of seasons I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well it’s held up especially when compared to early seasons of other genre shows from a similar or even later time. There are quite a few poor episodes early on (as with most series) but they nailed the characters right from the word go and that helped set the tone for the years to come.

I’ve said elsewhere (see signature) that SG1 and the franchise overall have been second to none in casting regular and guest actors, they’ve also benefited from never being afraid to use that continuity to being them back or at the very least have them mentioned to help knit together the arc.

Well what about Thor’s Hammer (and by hammer I mean my p:eek:s ) and of course we have Show and Tell and then there’s 19 something or other, it’ll come to me, or not depending…

:smiley:

I don’t expect to get farther than season 5 (I’ve just had a 24hr hiatus), but like you say, I’ll give it a good go :slight_smile:

I completely agree. It’s great that the character’s are established from day 1, which sets the tone for the series.

It’s great to see you getting into Stargate! I think you just nailed why Stargate is so watchable, at least for me. I love seeing how the themes introduced in the beginning remain throughout the series or are built upon. The characters created remain true to who they are or the SG1 purpose despite the circumstances they find themselves in.
Don’t forget the humor on this show. I must quote this show more than I know. Thor, buddy! You just can’t help yourself… :wink:

I am also on my first watch of Stargate. About one or two episodes short of completing the first season. Overall I have been impressed, but not blown away. My favorite episode thus far is “The Torment of Tantalus” which I thought was beautiful, heart wrenching and beautifully crafted.

I like O’Neill, but think he occasionally gets a little too cutesy and don’t believe a man in his position would be so non-challent. Daniel, Sam and Tilk are very well acted…well, maybe Tilk a little less so. He goes from his sad mask face to YELLING a lot, but his delivery is just too good.

Agreed, Torment of Tantalus is a great episode, and lays a foundation for a lot of the franchise’s mythology. Not sure if you’ve seen “There But For The Grace Of God” (third to last episode of the season), but that’s another big one.

There wasn’t all that much to Teal’c during the first season, but I’d have to say that he is probably the main character that changes the most in the course of the series.

“impressed, but not blown away” pretty much describes the first season (some say the first two.) It’s important to watch it, though, because they plant a lot of seeds that eventually bear fruit.

Naturally, everyone’s character develops as the writers and actors get more of a grip on them. Daniel, Sam and Teal’c all get much more nuance (Daniel changes rather radically at points.) O’Neill maybe not so much, but you definitely start to see that there’s a method to his madness (Hammond-of-Texas gets that from jump, which is why he’s so tolerant of him.) He kind of reminds me of the best boss I ever had (think about it, wouldn’t you give an arm to work for someone like O’Neill?)

I’m jealous of all y’all just starting on this. It’s a long, fun ride.

I have to agree with that, not only his personal circumstance which are a rollar coaster in their own right but from the minute he turned his weapon on his he’s been growing as an individual.Jack pretty much remained Jack and in many ways so did Sam, Daniel certainly developed if in no other area than his physique which I am sure Lexa appreciated.

It’s been interesting to see “alternate” Teal’c in the odd episode, the version in Point of View (Gatecast episode 49 eta August 14th) was out and out soldier something we’ve had never seen from our version but perhaps that was the facial hair:D

Trying not to spoil too much, but Daniel had a few transformations during the series. But, ppl are prolly right about Carter and Jack not changing much.

Actually, I have to say Carter seemed to become smarter as the series progressed. d:

No way I would have guessed some of the crap she does in later seasons from the 1st season.

Or especially how she was written in the pilot episode. :rolleyes:

A little update: I am now on the 31st disc of the set, watching the first episode of Season 7. I admit that I have speed-watched quite a few episodes (mostly those that adhere to Murphy’s “first law of reruns”) - apparently there are quite a few formulaic episodes in Stargate that border on boring, certainly of a lesser quality than the series as a whole.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time watching this show, and I’m quite surprised as to how much I’ve seen before. Like I said originally, I saw several episodes when they were shown on TV, but never really got into a regular watching habit. It seems as if I have seen quite a few of the important episodes, but they make much more sense (and have more impact) having watched the character episodes and build-up surrounding them.

Totally agree with this. In fact, I’d say that you need to stick with the poorer episodes throughout the entire run, as they often lay the groundwork for important plot points later. Often you find that the denouements of the lesser episodes are actually the most important moments of the series (moments that are included later in the “previously on Stargate: SG-1” segments), almost as a little treat for watching all the way through :slight_smile:

Final thought: Can you draw a straight line through from Jack O’Neill to John Crichton to Mal Reynolds? I think you can.

Gah, I’ve just discovered that all the episodes from Easeon 4 onwards have audio commentaries. I’m going to have to watch through again!