Rochester NY - July 15th

Okay folks. Looks like we will have a mini meetup opportunity in July for Rochester NY. Details to be worked out and all that there sort of thing but we would love to have as many people as possible of course. I for one would love the chance to meet more GWCers in person. :smiley:

I am planning on coming out. Iā€™m thinking probably Saturday & leave Monday.

That will be good. Also K and S are only available on Sunday I believe. Since Iā€™m local and employed only when I want to be I am completely available to work stuff out and coordinate. Iā€™m pretty good at herding cats If we will be getting enough people I will work on hotel discounts or the like. Just need to see who can be here and when.

I maaaay be able to make this. Cross your fingers.

Awesome! I am so excited!

WHAAAATTTTT? Fingers, toes, everything. All crossed. Samanthaā€™s too. And Capricaā€™s (under duress. I even crossed his tail.)

We are joining a dear friend for her wedding in Auburn on the 14th. We will definitely be with yā€™all on the 15th (Sunday) and leave early enough on the 16th that I can be at work on Tuesday.

Thank the gods you are good at herding cats because I think we will need a shepherd. I LOVED your idea of looking at cabin rentalsā€“but we are going to be a little cash strapped so whether Iā€™m definitely in or not depends on cost. If not, cheaper hotel will definitely work just fine.

I will help be organizey but not til after my wedding (in 26 days).

Canā€™t wait to see you allā€“and Mr. Lobstah!

Cabins can be good - but you do want enough people to split them with. Hotels are pretty good and I do love hotels.com - I get many a good deal with them around here. As we get a better idea of how many people are coming we can come up with better ideas of what to do. Niagara is of course an option but it is an all day thing. There are many wineries to visit. Could look into renting a boat and going out on the water. There are several different lake cruises to take where you get food and a tour and a bar. The ren faire will be in full swing but again - all day thing. Lots of museums. Lots of dining out options: Dinosaur BBQ, great thai food, Ethiopian, koreanā€¦ We can go to a movie - Spiderman will be out. Could reserve a pavillion in a park and just do the bbq hang out thing.

I welcome any other suggestions, ideas or questions.

I am ecstatic about this. Like, literally SeanScreaming right now!

I can offer my humble abode to anyone who doesnā€™t mind cats and an air mattress. I can also provide taxi service from 2:15 PM on Friday to 7:45 AM on Monday if anyone needs a ride from the airport. I live 15 minutes from the airport and work 5 minutes away from it, so itā€™s no trouble at all. Bus or train station is equally not a problem if youā€™re coming that way.

As far as social planning goes, Iā€™m totally open to anything. Iā€™m a huge fan of Spidey so seeing the movie would be great! However, there are also lots of awesome things to do out-of-doors in Western N.Y. in July - one of the only months when it isnā€™t snowing!

Just looking ahead, there are a couple of events that might be of interest:

The Rochester Pride Parade and Festival will be on Saturday July 14 and the theme is ā€œPride Power: Superheroes.ā€ - http://www.gayalliance.org/pride/

The Big Rib BBQ & Blues Fest runs Thursday, July 12 through Sunday, July 15 in Highland Park. - http://www.rochesterevents.com/festivals-events/big-rib-bbq-blues-fest

In terms of venue, if we wanted to hold an ā€œofficialā€ meetup, depending on cost, head count, and desire for inebriation, it might be fun to book a private party somewhere.

Lake Ontario Winery is right in my backyard and has a room that you can book for tastings/private parties. They have great food as well. - http://www.lakeontariowinery.com/LakeOntarioWinery/Home.html

If beer is more your style, the Rohrbach Brewing Company Brewpub is also close to where I live. They have a great beer selection and a German-themed menu. They can also host private parties. - http://www.rohrbachs.com/Rohrbachs-Brewpub.html

Iā€™m not saying we have to go this way, but it would be fun if there were a good number of us coming.

So looking forward to this, whatever we do!

I mentioned it on Twitter but my home and a spare bedroom are available but my house is super doggy. The dogs are not allowed in that room, or even down that hallway but the rest of the house is theirs. Oh for the day I can finally get rid of the icky carpets and get rid of that source of doggyness.

I am not quite as close to the airport but I will be available for taxi service well before and after the 15th as I wonā€™t be working over the course of this meetup.

I like ribs and blues so that is not a bad option for me at all. I looked up to see if my favorite band will be around that weekend and they are down in Elmira on the 14th. Iā€™d be up for the drive butā€¦I get that it wouldnā€™t be a choice for everyone :smiley: They are performing at the Elmira street painging festival http://www.elmirastreetpaintingfestival.org/ For the non locals Elmira is just shy of 2 hours from Rochester. So while compelling it isnā€™t close.

The booking of a private party somewhere is not a bad idea. There are lots of venues around, in particular the wineries. So if you fine folks are interested in something like that let us know. Stuff like that is best booked sooner rather than later. I will point out that some places like Wagners or Three Brothers do both beer and wine, just to double up on the appeal :smiley: Clearly more thought will have to go into this :smiley:

Hmmm. It seems Rochester is only a 4 hour drive. Methinks I might be able to attend.

That would be SWEEEEET!

Iā€™m looking at about a (just under) 6 hour drive, so if anyone is driving up the northbound NY route (say, from the NY metro area) and wants to take on a passenger midstream, that would be a nice arrangement. Iā€™m going to look to the train schedule as well, just to avoid putting a sleepy Keir behind the wheel for more than my usual limit of 4 hours of functional, alert driving.

I think Iā€™d like to go see upstate New York and this is as good an excuse as any other. Consider me there!

I want it to be on record that I am NOT going to be snarky. Instead Iā€™m going to say WOOT!!! DP and KEIR at the meet up!!!

Just to trying to coordinate schedules so that Jonobster and I can think about what sorts of things to organize for all of you fine folks. So here is what I have so far. Please feel free to update with your info :smiley:

Friday 13th
Ruppy
Jonolobster after 2:15

Saturday 14th
Aset arrives
Ruppy
Jonolobster

Sunday 15th
Aset
Starbuccaneer
Samantha
Ruppy
Jonolobster

Monday 16th
Aset leaves
Ruppy

Unsure of days
Kirokai
Janitorbob
Keir
Dephault Prophet

Well depending on how things work out. Kirokai & I may be driving in together. So Friday night might be in the cards. Unfortunately I wonā€™t be able to take Friday off. So weā€™d be leaveing after 4 & itā€™s around a 6 hour drive

SO EXCITED YAYYYYYYY

That would be awesome Aset! That would open up a few things on Saturday for sure.

Iā€™m going to see about taking Friday and Monday off. Iā€™ll figure out soon if I can or not. So Iā€™d get there Friday afternoon and Head back Monday morning. So If anyone can fill me in on a decent hotel there and Iā€™d split a room with someone if they want to.

Not sure what Iā€™m going to be doing for hotel/sleeping arrangements atm. Will probably depend somewhat on whether or not Kirokai is able to make it

I have had a lot of luck using hotels.com for rooms in the area. For trying to keep people together and nearrish to whatever we want to do I would say to look starting in Henrietta for a hotel. If we get enough people wanting separate rooms (5 or 6 is the minimum I think) I will try to do us a deal somewhere. In that general area are a Holiday Inn Express a Doubletree and a Country Inns and Suites. Iā€™ve stayed at both of the Country Inns and Suites in that area and they are pretty good mid range hotels. I think there is also a La Quinta.