Rise of the Spambots

As some of you have noticed, there has been an uptick in spambots as of late. As a reminder, the best way of dealing with them is to immediately report the post. That will immediately inform the admins that action needs to be taken.

Thank you to everyone who has been to vigilant in reporting. Special thanks to RMHPH and Steve who have definitely reported the most spammers, with honorable mention for Keara.

Only you can prevent spambots. :smiley:

And for those of us who saw those posts and wondered how to report them… does one just PM Solai (you) or Pike, or is there another thing we should do?

Hit that little red triangle with the exclamation point in it right next to the dot that shows online status below their user info to the left of the body of the post. (how’s that for wordy?)

However, I tried reporting one earlier and it told me I did not have access to that feature. Might have been a temporary thing though.

Thanks, Steve :slight_smile:

Let’s get the anti-spambot army on the march…

I didn’t even realize that was there. I was doing it the hard way – which is especially bad, since I snagged the wrong link and reported someone completely innocent via PM. :eek:

Much easier – and safer – now that I know about this feature. :slight_smile:

Steve, do you recall which forum that happened in? I can check out if you let me know and look at the permissions.

Thank you all for helping!

I wonder if he was trying to report one that was just deleted.

Good call. 'prolly.

Every single one that I have reported or tried to report over the past few days was in the Podcast Arc Suggestion thread.

The one I tried to report that was giving me problems was the one asking if you had any secrets to tell them. I believe someone had replied to it so it had at least two posts in the thread.

Quick Solai. Spam killing ranking list please

Might be one for the FAQ.

However, I tried reporting one earlier and it told me I did not have access to that feature. Might have been a temporary thing though.

I just realized I still had it up in my browser (I was trying to figure if it was phishing or an art project, but got called away.) I tried the report button and got the same error you did, so it probably did get deleted while you were still reading it.

Not a bad idea in general, but other than keeping a manual list it’d be a bit hard to implement (I believe. Solai?)

You are right Pike. It would be manual. Plus multiple people can report the same user…it would get messy quickly.

Everybody gets a gold star…as Sean says, we are all homeys here. :slight_smile:

That was YOU!?!?

The first couple times that I noticed spam on GWC, I just reported it directly to Chuck.
And he diligently responded and took care of it.

Then, eventually I realized that there’s “Report This Post” buttom you can click (the Triangle with the explanation mark). So I switched to using that method to report spam.

But then I started to realize I should be more sporting. So now what I do is I lure the Spambot into The Martix and then load myself in as my Kung-Fu-Bad-Ass-Thotfull-Warrior projection and I challenge the SpamBot to single combat. After kicking the Spambot’ SorryBarb, the Spambot is usually too scared to come around here again. And he usaully warns his Spambot friends to keep clear else they face my wrath.

Thanks for keeping our boards clean, oh Matrix master. :rolleyes:

No, I said someone innocent. :smiley:

No use in trying to polish up my image, is there?

Matrix master? huh :rolleyes:

oh btw, Spam is one of my favourite songs by the now-defunct band, Save Ferris…yes, the band is named after that movie… .

Bueller… Bueller… Bueller… hey, i was reading imdb, that economics lecturer is the real deal… he actually won an award for that particular lecture which was IN the film!!! :eek:

…Is that the dude from Nsync

Thot, is that pic of Robin Thicke??