Proof of Geek Cred...

Hmmm…think your inner geek is moving into nerd territory :p:p

j/k

So, is sitting around and spending time coming up with things like “Baltar Altar” a sign of being a nerd or a geek? It seems kind of fuzzy to me - but maybe it’s just that there are some areas of crossover.

If I put my geekcard image on my ipod but don’t carry a printed version and then mock anyone with “hardcopy” versions, does that give more or less geek cred?

So you were the red-shirt? Since when does the red-shirt get revived? :smiley:

My geek cred?

Ever-present in my purse are a sudoku book, my iPod (with headphones and speakers), and whatever book I’m reading at the time. I do crossword puzzles in pen, and started doing cryptic (British-style) crosswords a few years ago and I always have one or more in my purse printed off from various websites.

Well Galaxy, note that I was an engineering red shirt, not a security red-shirt.
But come to think of it, how would the bug-eyed aliens know the difference? Wow. I never considered what danger I had been in.
Of course, it’s important to remember that engineer red shirts didn’t usually beam down with a Landing Party.

Just as an aside, I need to lecture all you youngsters for a moment:
Back in my day, they were NOT called AWAY TEAMS. When I was I kid they were called LANDING PARTIES. And the security and engineering starfleeters didn’t wear that wimpy yellow. They wore RED. And forget about all that wimpy crap with the communicator embedded into your breast insignia pin. If you needed to make a phone call, you whipped your cell phone/communciator out of your back pocket, and half the friggin time you couldn’t get reception and you had to fist fiight (or neck pinch) the natives.
Sheesh. You young people today are so spoiled…

Also remember that sometimes engineering was not such a safe place either.

That puff of smoke used to be an engineering red shirt.

Wow…this is turning into a geek “8 Mile.” I imagine all of us on a stage in front of a huge crowd with a backbeat going steppig up to a mike and riffing our geek cred.

What is mine you ask? As most of you know I am an undercover geek. Most people I know, even extended family don’t know of “my dark side.” It remains hidden and undiscussed…so how does it manifest itself?

1. There are more computers in my house than there are people
  2. My primary computer at home is named “Ozymandias”
  3. Although I have a blast at sporting events I do not follow any sports.
  4. I was a bouncer at the opening night of “Phantom Menace” at NYC Ziegfeld theatre (hmmm…maybe that should be number 1 on my list)
  5. I recently started playing my guitar again only because I found the chord progression for “Firefly”

EDIT: Holy craaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. I just saw this thread and I think we have a winner. Ladies and gentlemen…if you live in a flying saucer, you win.

Well, I’m generally a stealth geek, but I usually carry my iPod with me and it has GWC and LOST podcasts on it 85% of the time. So, if someone wanted to prove that I’m a geek, they’d just have to check out my iPod.

i have 261 revolving geek images revolving randomly as my comp. backround

There are 5 people in my house
There are 7 macs in my house :slight_smile:

Wow! :slight_smile:

That beats mine!
4 people in the house
4 PCs in the house (2 laptops, 2 desktops)

Due to money issues, we only have 2 computers now, but 4 places in the house with wired network connections.

2 people
2 desktops
3 laptops
1 work laptop

I win! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 people

3 laptops (4 counting the Model 100)
3 desktops in use
2 in reserve (including the Plus)
2 phones (that run a version of Leopard)

:cool:

whoa…

nope, spatterson, I think Pike wins

I always carry those little screwdriver sets for your eyeglasses…and my phone’s screen is the Autobot sign…I also took off the insignia on my new car and replaced with a die-cast Autobot sign.

3 people

2 macs
1 amiga
4 pcs
6 laptops
1 nas
2 poodles
1 atari 2600

ETA: However, none of this works for any geek cred that the OP is talking about.

2 people
2 offspring
1 dell laptop (keeping me company right now in this hotel room on this business trip.)
1 mac laptop (the wife’s)
1 mac desktop (the wife’s)
1 good cat
1 bad cat (kills ruthlessly any critter in its sites)
1 one Barbie laptop (not really a computer, but a 5 year old doesn’t know the diff).
1 486 300 MHz, Windows 98 Desktop PC in the basement w/dial-up modem (why are we keeping it?)
1 nintendo DS
2 robots (possibly cylon) made out of cardboard that my daughters made on snow days this past winter.