Pottermore

J K Rowling launches a mysterious website-

http://www.slashfilm.com/jk-rowling-launches-mysterious-pottermore-website/#more-105845

What is the scuttlebutt on this amongst the Potterites?

pretty sure no one knows a darn thing

The best theory I’ve heard is that it’s an encyclopedia, like the Harry Potter Lexicon. But that’s just a guess.

Rowling has said herself a long time ago that she would be writing a Harry Potter encyclopedia and based on what the article says it seems like that will be a part of the website, but also that it will contain a whole lot more.

I’m reading the last book in the series now and will probably be about half way through it by the time I see the final movie. It’s been an epic journey and it’s kind of sad it’s almost at the end. I agree with a couple of the commenters on the posted article that I don’t want another Potter book but there is a lot more to the universe that could be explored through books, comic books or tv. The life of Dumbledore, the Ministry of Magic, the other schools, the creation of Hogwarts. There are so many options. Also, an official Harry Potter mmorpg could be absolutely amazing.

I still hold out hope that she may write Hogwarts, A History someday.

Ummm you guys may wanna go to the site and check out the video…think it’s new

http://www.pottermore.com/

just a suggestion

I don’t think I am going to care about Pottermore. I wanted to. Meh.

I lost interest in her stuff when she sued the guy who did a paper version of the web encyclopedia that she used and gave an award to. Special snowflakes don’t need my cash.

From what I can tell, it sounds like an interactive addition to the books - almost like annotation but digital and with a wiki/social media component. I was kind of underwhelmed but after listening to Pottercast and Mugglecast I’m more excited. There’s going to be sorting and wand choosing tests created by Jo and new content/backstory.

I got an account to be a beta tester!!! My user name will be ChestnutStone75. :smiley:

Congrats :slight_smile: And thanks for posting it btw, this would have passed me by otherwise. Got up early to get mine, decided to take a little nap, set my alarm to 10:55, strolled onto Pottermore, got the answer on Twitter and done. Moonshield187 away!

Its good to live in this timezone, you have my sympathies Americans.

How did you get the account? I registered my email a while back. Is it just luck of the draw?

You have to get up oh Crom early (if you’re in God’s time zone), log on, and there will be some sort of puzzle/question. Solve it, put the answer on the end of a url, and you get in. then you wait until it’s open to actually DO stuff.

Congrats, VeryGranola! That’s exciting for you! I look forward to hearing more about what it’s like.

From Mugglenet:

Good news for those of you in the United States in particular who haven’t liked the very early/late times that the first three Pottermore Beta Clues have gone live!

The Insider Blog has revealed a timeframe for when you can expect Clue #4:

Q: So far, all the clues have appeared in the early hours of the morning in my time zone. Will this continue for the remainder of The Magical Quill challenge?

A: We know that Harry Potter fans around the world are taking part in the challenge, so we will be varying the times that the clues are revealed. We can tell you that tomorrow’s clue (Day 4) will be released between 2.00pm and 6.00pm BST.

This applies to 8/3/11. If you’re reading this on the 4th, you may need to look for a different clue for time. (or get a TARDIS)

And I’m in! User name is WildCat11!!!

ETA: Well not in until I get confirmation email…which hasn’t arrived in my inbox yet. :eyebrow:

How did you get so early? Am I going to have to wait until October like the rest of the Muggles?

Starting July 31st, they had a period each day for 7 days that you had a chance to get signed in. They put up a clue and you had to answer it by adding the answer to the end of a URL. :wink: Then you could select a user name and password and then wait for a verification email. And then wait some more. This morning I got an email stating that I can now enter the site and look around. :smiley: Woot! Haven’t done that yet…

So to all of you lucky enough to get in, what’s the deal? The site was supposed to open at the end of October and yet it is still in beta. Is it even worth the wait? I was tentatively excited about it when I first heard about it, but it’s hard to be anything but irritated by its existence now. Any insider info would be appreciated.

They’ve been doing maintenance and improvements based on beta members’ feedback. More info on what they are doing here:

http://insider.pottermore.com/p/pottermore-site-updates.html

I got stuck with a “Under Maintenance” screen several times while going through the first book. You go through each chapter and collect galleons and items. And there is more information on people, places and things from JKR too. Wizard dueling was down…but it’s back now but I haven’t tried it again. Learning spells was interesting but complicated. As was Potions brewing…I never got one to work yet.

It is quite an interesting site.