Post-Series Novels

Here’s an incomplete list of the main line Star Trek novels set in the 24th century, after TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I’ve starred my personal favorites of the ones I’ve read.

Star Trek: TNG novels set after the series:

Before Nemesis
[ul]
[li] A Time to Be Born John Vornholt *
[/li][li] A Time to Die John Vornholt *
[/li][li] A Time to Sow Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
[/li][li] A Time to Harvest Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
[/li][li] A Time to Love Robert Greenberger
[/li][li] A Time to Hate Robert Greenberger
[/li][li] A Time to Kill David Mack *
[/li][li] A Time to Heal David Alan Mack *
[/li][li] A Time for War, a Time for Peace Keith R. A. DeCandido
[/li][/ul]
Post-Nemesis
[ul]
[li] Death in Winter Michael Jan Friedman
[/li][li] Resistance J. M. Dillard
[/li][li] Q & A Keith R. A. DeCandido
[/li][li] Before Dishonor Peter David
[/li][li] Greater than the Sum Christopher L. Bennett *
[/li][/ul]
Destiny and Aftermath
[ul]
[li] Destiny Book 1: Gods of Night David Alan Mack *
[/li][li] Destiny Book 2: Mere Mortals David Alan Mack *
[/li][li] Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls David Alan Mack *
[/li][li] Losing the Peace William Leisner
[/li][li] Indistinguishable From Magic David A. McIntee
[/li][/ul]

Star Trek: Titan (Riker’s ship)

[ul]
[li]Taking Wing Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels *
[/li][li]The Red King Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels *
[/li][li]Orion’s Hounds Christopher L. Bennett *
[/li][li]Sword of Damocles Geoffrey Thorne
[/li][li]Over a Torrent Sea Christopher L. Bennett *
[/li][li]Synthesis James Swallow
[/li][/ul]

Deep Space Nine novels set after the series:

[ul]
[li]Avatar, Book One S. D. Perry *
[/li][li]Avatar, Book Two S. D. Perry *
[/li][li]Mission Gamma: Book One Twilight David R. George III *
[/li][li]Mission Gamma: Book Two This Gray Spirit Heather Jarman *
[/li][li]Mission Gamma: Book Three Cathedral Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels
[/li][li]Mission Gamma: Book Four Lesser Evil Robert Simpson
[/li][li]Rising Son S. D. Perry *
[/li][li]Unity S. D. Perry *
[/li][li]Worlds of Deep Space Nine: Volume One Cardassia & Andor Una McCormack / Heather Jarman
[/li][li]Worlds of Deep Space Nine: Volume Two Trill & Bajor Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin / J. Noah Kim
[/li][li]Worlds of Deep Space Nine: Volume Three Ferenginar & The Dominion Keith R. A. DeCandido / David. R. George III
[/li][li]Warpath David Alan Mack
[/li][li]Fearful Symmetry Olivia Woods
[/li][li]The Soul Key Olivia Woods
[/li][li]The Never Ending Sacrifice Una McCormack
[/li][/ul]

Voyager novels set after the series:

[ul]
[li]Homecoming Christie Golden
[/li][li]The Farther Shore Christie Golden
[/li][li]Spirit Walk Book One: Old Wounds Christie Golden
[/li][li]Spirit Walk Book Two: Enemy of My Enemy Christie Golden
[/li][li]Full Circle Kirsten Beyer
[/li][li]Unworthy Kirsten Beyer
[/li][li]Children of the Storm Kirsten Beyer
[/li][/ul]

Misc. novels that fill in some of the back story of Destiny:

[ul]
[li]Articles of the Federation Keith R. A. DeCandido
[/li][li]A Singular Destiny Keith R. A. DeCandido
[/li][/ul]

Typhon Pact (post-Destiny arc):

[ul]
[li]Typhon Pact Book 1: Zero Sum Game David Mack
[/li][li]Typhon Pact Book 2: Seize the Fire Michael A. Martin
[/li][li]Typhon Pact Book 3: Rough Beasts of Empire David R. George III
[/li][li]Typhon Pact Book 4: Paths of Disharmony Dayton Ward
[/li][li]Typhon Pact Book 5: The Struggle Within Christopher L. Bennet
[/li][/ul]

Again, this is an incomplete list. I’ve left out some of the mini-series like New Frontier and Starfleet Corps of Engineers and the short story collections (worth a read, by the way).

For a more complete list, check out Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I can also highly recommend the Star Trek: Vanguard series (set during TOS) and the post-Enterprise Romulan War books if you’re interested in that era.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Havent read Struggle yet…thats in the queue

Im dissapointed they may not be going beyond the books for Typhon Pact as yet. There’s a LOT of good stff left to go into. Hopefully, they will continue the overall story.

I read the Deep Space Nine novels, Avatar through Unity, those were all excellent. Never really got into the “Worlds Of” series, it didn’t look as interesting. Might pick up Warpath at some point.

I would also recommend the post-Enterprise novels, going to start Romulan War #2 shortly.

Probably a sign of a generation gap Jonolobster, but although I have literally read a hundred or more Star Trek novels, I think there’s on only one on your list that I’ve read: Death in Winter (which is very good).

For years, Star Trek novels were the main thing that I read. Then I went through a phase of reading 18th British Naval Warfare genre novels, and then Westerns (Louie L’Amour), so I guess all those books you listed were published after I had ended my phase of Star Trek novel reading.

Also, I highly recommend the Star Trek New Frontier novels. And as I general rule, my favorite Star Trek novels are those authored by either Peter David or Diane Duane.

Agreed. The DS9 novels are really good, especially Avatar and the first two Mission Gamma books, which I starred along with Rising Son and Unity. They really showed how the series could have continued and been awesome.

I would highly recommend (again) checking out the Vanguard series. It’s set in the TOS era (beginning concurrently with season one) and takes place in a previously unmentioned sector called the Taurus Reach that happens to be the shared border between the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and the Tholian Assembly. We soon find out the reason why we haven’t heard of it: Starfleet has made a startling discovery that could change the course of history but raises more questions than answers. As the three adversaries struggle for control of the region and the crew of Vanguard struggles to keep the secret and unravel the mystery, a long-sleeping force is stirring in the Reach…

Yeah, I wrote that summary from memory. The books are good and I’m a huge nerd.

Well remember…in the days before TNG…and with movies staring “old” crew, the novels were the single only source for new trek stories ( set during the 5 year mission). I read them all. I read so many that I don’t remember the plot to 3/4 of them.

TNG had a few good books ( VERY FEW), and I never read a good voyager book, I liked the DS9 books set during the war…but the heart of trek book are those 1980’s 90’s trek books. But we have 500 episodes of source material for those casts. What was special about the TOS books is that they were IT. I miss those novels set during the 5 year mission. Vulcan Academy Murders was one of the best books ever.

I read Trek novels for years because after the Original Series that was the only way to enjoy Trek until the movies started coming out. Once the movies appeared so did new books which was great…

However I eventually stopped reading the novels when it became apparent that the writers of TNG and the movies were not going to acknowledge any of the wonderful work that the novel writers had accomplished in the Trek-verse. Which pissed me off no end, what is the point of exploring these books if none of it is going to enhance my enjoyment of Trek? If there is no overlap? And often the books did a far better job of explaining things (such as inconsistencies in the series), why not mine this and apply it to the series? It made no sense to me, if the material is already there why not use it?

Seriously think about it, once the fans were to find out that the books were a way to more deeply explore the franchise and that by reading the books it would open you up to new experiences and knowledge hidden to those not reading the books it would become a rich source of income for the franchise… But NOOOOO they did not do that. Assholes… :mad:

So the only voyager novels I read were Mosaic, and Pathways. Why? Because they were written by Jeri Taylor who was a writer/producer from the series. I was her who created Voyager alongside Berman and Piller; so the books were considered CANON by Paramount and the fans. So I read them, and the novels are great because they explore the characters pasts, and what drove them to the ship and their various career paths. Quite interesting.

One of my favorite Trek book series, were the oooolllddddd compilations of short stories (or drafts) which inspired the TOS episodes. It was fascinating to see the differences between them and the actual episodes. And how the technology changed as the series progressed. Like in Operation Annihilate, in the original short story they hunt down the mother creature which dropped its spawn on the colony world and vaporise it with NUCLEAR WARHEADS!!:eek:

Anyways, enough rambling from this old fart…:wink:

Hey, Omra (love your avatar, btw - viva Barsoom!) - While I feel your frustration (b/c I shared it for a long time), I do think, in the defense of the Trek “establishment,” the televised and film stuff has to appeal the broadest possible base, and Trek fiction is, let’s face it, a niche market. (And I say this as one who wrote a drop in that big bucket – I placed a story in “Strange New Worlds II,” still available as an ebook, http://www.amazon.com/Strange-New-Worlds-II-ebook/dp/B003YCOSGS/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1333634070&sr=8-1 – shameless plug alert! <G>) I think some of the novels could have been adapted to the screen, but the best ones are the best precisely because they delve into the minutiae of the show, expanding and developing it in ways that (a) would be too time- and money-consuming on screen (e.g., Diane Duane’s Rihannsu cycle) or (b) would simply not be of interest to the casual viewer that Paramount wants to grab with a new movie or TV show. I think that’s why they don’t use the pre-existing, “noncanonical” material.

I do think you raise a good point about the Taylor VOYAGER books being canon. I wasn’t a big VOYAGER fan, so I’ve never read those, but I have heard that they are good reads.

Those short stories you mentioned were adapted by sf great James Blish from first or early drafts of the episode scripts. I read a bunch of those in elementary school, before I ever watched the show - just picked 'em up because they “looked like Star Wars.” I bet there are some fascinating (ha! to coin a phrase) differences… I will have to go back and read them some day.

By the way, if you haven’t read Greg Cox’s Khan trilogy (“The Eugenics Wars,” 2 vols, and “To Rule in Hell”), you should - they sound like the kind of thing you would enjoy. They tie a lot of details from all across the Trek franchise together in some very surprising ways. (Usually quite good, but he strains at times.)

Mike P, have you read the Diane Duane’s Rihannsu books? Love, love those. And I love ALL of Dianne Duane’s Star Trek novels.

I listened to an interview with the ‘Khan’ author and was impressed with the amount of research he had done preparing for his novels, and the approach he decided to take with them.

I also remember how dissappointed I was when the Romulans finally appeared in TNG and they were not calling themselves ‘Rihannsu’, I loved the culture that author created in ‘The Romulan Way’; I reread that book time and again, Fell in love with the Romulans after that book… So sad that they did not adapt all that into the ‘verse’, it would have made the Romulans a far more sympathetic and interesting race in the eyes of the fans.

Congrats on your story in SNW II.

And I greatly prefer the explaination in one of the Trek novels as to the difference between the Klingons in the Original series and the ones after. In the novel the Klingons we see now were the ‘warrior caste’ and ‘worker caste’ (grunts, cannon fodder, etc…), and the ones we saw in TOS were the ‘ruling caste’, the elite if you will. Well eventually the lower caste Klingons got sick of being bossed around, and being oppressed, so they rose up and wiped out their rulers (literally). Makes sense to me… :slight_smile:

I confess I’ve only read My Enemy, My Ally, and that was many, many years ago. I keep meaning to go back and catch up, but… so many books, so little time!

Thanks, Omra; and I vastly prefer the novel explanation, too. Makes much more sense than the genetic weirdness going on in ENTERPRISE (though good on them for explaining how, over the course of the franchise, Koloth, Kor and Kang could look like both kinds of Klingons!)

Was the warrior caste origin the work of John M. Ford? The Final Reflection is another novel I’ve wanted to go back and read – at the time, as a kid and young fan, I was so disappointed that Kirk and the rest hardly showed up in the book at all. I’d probably appreciate it more, now. (Never did get into How Much for Just the Planet?, though, and I’ve tried three times over the years!)

It has been so long ago… I believe it was in Pawns and Symbols. Though I may be mistaken.

I also remember how dissappointed I was when the Romulans finally appeared in TNG and they were not calling themselves ‘Rihannsu’

They used that term a lot in the Enterprise Romulan War books. I had never heard it before that, pretty cool.

I remember how excited I was when Star Trek: Enterprise was being promoted and thinking, “Oh God I hope the Klingons are the old school ‘Goatee’ Klingons.” That would have been soooo cooool. But no, they were ‘Turtleheads’…

I would have loved the idea of the Suliban planting the seeds of rebellion amongst the lower caste Klingons, and the Federation getting the blame instead. Maybe even seeing an outer Klingon colony free itself from aristocratic rule only to be obliterated from orbit by a battlecruiser, in order to ‘make a point’.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. During Enterprise’s run, all the talk was Star Trek needed a rest. My feeling was it needed a production staff change, especially the Berman/Braga team. IMO, they were tired of Star Trek. Once, Manny Coto took over the show got some life. I wish he was given the reigns in the first season. I think Enterprise would have been more interesting instead of Voyager 1.1

The books that came out post-Enterprise are basically Season 5-7 of sorts, arc-wise. They make one or two tiiiiiiiny retcons to the last episode (basically, they perform a shitectomy) then continue forwards through the Romulan War to its conclusion. These books are good reads and worth checking out.

The Good That Men Do
Kobayashi Maru
The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor’s Wing
The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm

Seriously, if you like Star Trek, these books will entertain. There are solid tie-ins to TOS, TNG, even Voyager (in the form of historical events referenced in those shows). The first book has a few rough spots, but there’s no gentle way to grind down a big ugly weld or hammer out body damage on a car.

Anyone else read these yet?

Nope. But I will now.

Oh! Never would have occurred to me the check those out, but now I will.
Thanks for the tip!

And there’s a nice shoutout to Stargate Atlantis in the epilogue of the last one.

[spoiler] Trip uses the alias Michael Kenmore, which is the name the Atlantis Expedition gave the Wraith played by the same actor when they experimented on him.[/spoiler]