Podcast Arc Suggestion: "Dune" and "Children of Dune"

I know Chuck has read Dune, and I think Chuck told me that Sean has read several of the Dune novels.

My suggestion: A two podcast arc. 1 for Sci Fi Channel’s “Dune” and the 2nd for Sci Fi Channel’s “Children of Dune”.
Good stuff. And the novels --including prequels gives a wealth of expanded universe to talk about.

(we can ignore the David Lynch Dune movie—although it’s worth a frak party.)

good thot, Thot - I liked the Sci Fi ones

I’ll third this motion. The Sci. Fi. versions were really good adaptations of the books.

I support this motion as well

Wow, I have neglected to voice my support for this arc. As someone who was inspired to read the books and watch the films because of GWC I think this is a great idea.

Ditto on the book Dune.

The Sci-Fi adaptations were closer to the book than Lynch’s, sure, but I thought they felt a little… empty? Like I could feel the greenscreen they were standing in front of. Lynch’s Dune felt like the book to me, with a sense of grandeur. Even if it was a less faithful adaptation, it felt better, if that makes any sense.

I completely agree. Lynch’s version gets a lot of crap, but watching it when I was a kid was what got me into the books in the first place, so it holds a special place in my heart.

A Dune arc definitely gets my vote as well.

Forget the flying cars, where is my Stillsuit. How else can I guarantee nonstop partying at the meetup and look cool at the same time?

Yet another vote for Dune!

Add my vote!

WOOT!! Thanks for bumping this thread, Solai!!

Well, it’s a good thing this arc didn’t come right after the Lord of the Rings arc, because Cosmos, Batman, LOTR and Dune --all my fav things —in a row woulda made my brain explode…and throw in Star Trek and my brain woulda gone sheer nuclear…Like a lasegun hitting a shield. :slight_smile:

i love the sci fi ones becase they had a sequel children of dune was good james mcavory was great;)

I too would love to see a podcast arc on Dune, however you can’t do one & skip the Lynch version. Despite the crap it’s gotten, it’s had a huge impact & deserves it’s place in the scope of sci-fi. Personally, I love it, the book is definitely better, but that’s very rarely not the case. I have not seen teh sci-fi version. I tried when they aired it but ti felt very…forced to me, I turned it off after about 20 minutes.

+1 from me.

If anyone hasn’t seen it (or saw it and didn’t like it), I can highly recommend getting just the soundtrack for Children of Dune by Brian Tyler. This is some awesome music to work to. Here’s an awesome sample.

//youtu.be/recSv5m8C7w

That makes me want to visit Dune like crazy. Here is another great piece of music. The lyrics are entirely in the (fictional) Fremen language. Be warned, if you ARE going to watch Children of Dune the montage is a little spoilery.

//youtu.be/hHy-OxoT7zU

The montage is cool too and it comes straight out of the first episode of Children of Dune which confusingly enough actually covers the events of Dune Messiah (book 2). Episodes 2 and 3 cover Children of Dune (book 3).

How did I miss this as well. Add my vote as well. Dune was on of the first science fiction books I ever read.

This was pretty darn good. add my vote too

I could be down for this.

Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune Dune dune dune dune dune dune dune

…bumping this thread cuz ya gotta be the squeaky wheel, ya know? :smiley:

“Dune or do not; there is no try.”

They tried and failed?

“No, they tried and died.”