Plot of Episode VII? - Conjecture

I started playing with the idea of the plot for Episode VII. Lucas has stated in the past that each trilogy would be separated by 20 years. So let’s assume this episode takes place 20 years after RotJ.

I wondered how you top the greatest villain of all time. Vader and the Emperor are dead. The Dark Empire comic had a clone of the Emperor. Zahn’s books had Thrawn. I’m not familiar with the EU but I have heard that Han and Leia have children and one turns to the Dark Side ( correct me if I’m wrong). So where do we go from here?

The prequels were about corruption and the downfall of the Republic and the Jedi. 4, 5, and 6 are about redemption and restoring freedom and justice. What could the Sequel Trilogy be about?

Share your thots. What do you want to see?

I think Mark Hamill reprising his role as Luke Skywalker would be OSSIM especially if he is the new villain. I envision that because Luke’s training was rushed he was not prepared for the power of the Force. He succumbs to the Dark Side and becomes Darth Starkilller.

Starkilller for two reasons.

1. It was the characters original surname in the Star Wars drafts.

2. Luke was involved in the destruction of two Death Stars. One directly.

You have such a wonderful story told by Zahn about all this …it’s hard to imagine they won’t include SOME of that in it at least… I do like the idea of the Imperial leftovers trying to do something…or could you zip way ahead to the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion (though the outrage would be strong if Chewie died again…)

I’d love to see Grand Admiral Thrawn get his chance in the limelight and be introduced to the General Public personally…

Starkiller has already been used in the EU. In the Force Unleashed games you play as Starkiller who was Darth Vader’s secret apprentice.

I really wonder how they’ll make the Sequel trilogy work with all the EU that is out there.

This is the scary part…they can now pick and choose what does and “doesn’t count” in the post-Jedi EU…this could be a massive pipebomb on what’s been considered what happened after for us all…

That is what I understood they did to the clone wars. An author had a bunch of stories that they more or less flushed. So it could happen.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think it’s why I never embraced this series…I remembered seeing the movie, and I had read the graphic novel compilations (which were AWESOME)…and this wasn’t on the level and I didn’t warm up to it, but I’m gonna try again to add it to the ol’Netflix queue once I finally catch up on Walking Dead…

The clone wars are very good. I have been watching since the beginning. The really help to clean up the story between ep 2 and ep 3. You get a better understanding of skywalker’s fall. If only they had these writers for the prequels, then there would not be as much hate.

There was also a web-drama that had starkiller. It was not too bad. It was fan-fic but entertaining.

On a side note, with new stories to come I have decided to show my son the movies in the 4-6, 1-3 order before we see the new Wars. Thought you might like to hear that.

The prequels were about corruption and the downfall of the Republic and the Jedi. 4, 5, and 6 are about redemption and restoring freedom and justice. What could the Sequel Trilogy be about?

As much as I want to see Episode 7-9, that right there is pretty much why I figured we never would see a 7-9. Episode 1-3 are about how we loose Anikin to the Darkside. Episodes 4-6 are how his Children undo the damage he caused. Luke, by becoming a Jedi and Leia (and Luke) by leading the rebellion to overthrow the Empire. That is the story of Star Wars.

What comes next? Something new. The Thrawn Series (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) are amazing because they found a way to give the characters new challenges without being repetitive.

I wondered how you top the greatest villain of all time. Vader and the Emperor are dead. The Dark Empire comic had a clone of the Emperor. Zahn’s books had Thrawn. I’m not familiar with the EU but I have heard that Han and Leia have children and one turns to the Dark Side ( correct me if I’m wrong).

Thawn is great because he is the opposite of Vader and the Emperor in many ways. Thrawn respects and treats his subordinates well when the serve him well. He is a military leader as opposed to a Jedi or a political leader. He dislikes super-weapons and thinks of intelligence as the greatest weapon. He does not have any personal connection or dislike of the hero main characters.

One more thot, I’d place a quarter bet right now that we finally see Harrison Ford get his wish and have a dramatic death for Han Solo somewhere in Episode 7.

I was looking over the Star Wars timeline. If they place this @ 40 years after the destruction of the second Death Star, it would pretty much line up with real time. The EU hasn’t touched between 44 and 104 ABY (After Battle of Yavin). Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill could reprise their roles. The Sequels could use the EU to build a richer history. Now that would be a fanboi dream. If they do decide that I hope they make it so you don’t have to know the whole lexicon because folks would get lost.

I’ll try not to repeat myself here as I’ve already started another thread regarding how the EU will be affected by the new films. If they set the films after the current timeframe of the EU novels they won’t be walking on anything established, however they still have an opportunity to walk on the EU in general if they don’t acknowledge the ongoing war with the Imperial Remnant, the Black Fleet Crisis, Luke’s marriage to one of the Emperor’s Force-trained secret assassins and her subsequent death at the hands of his own nephew, Han and Leia’s complicated courtship and the 20+ complex years of their childrens’ lives not to mention the death of two, the diplomatic agreements between the Hapes Cluster and the Corellian Sector and especially the effect the Yuuzhan Vong War had on the galaxy and specifically the altering of the planet Coruscant. Not that it’ll matter to anyone who’s not an EU fan, but since Jedi the galactic government has evolved [b]twice[/i], from the New Republic, to the Galacic Alliance to the Galactic Federation. A simple throwaway line referring to government in the wrong terms has the chance to infuriate some. It’s a fine line they’ll be walking. Either way I’m excited to see what unfolds.

I kinda liked what Wing said on the “Star Wars” ep of Legends when he said Han, Leia and Luke should all be in the Falcon and it gets blown up in the first few moments of the film. Not only does that set up the plot as a way to explain how we got to this moment, it opens up the possibilities for new heroes right away. Realistically however, I would like to see Luke die in the second movie. The EU has been building for a while the return of the Sith in a different way than we have ever seen in both the movies and the books. They need to be the new villain. The new heroes, preferably Luke’s son Ben and Jaina Solo, need to be set up as we see the legendary heroes of the Rebellion struggle against this new Sith who are secretly setting up the Jedi, who are already suspect in the eyes of the common folk because it is a time of peace and there’s no need for all-powerful warrior monks anymore, for a big fall. Definitely show us that Luke has grown weary of being Grand Master and is not handling it well. In the end they succeed in winning a minor victory but of course we the viewer are the only ones aware that this is only the beginning. The second movie shows Luke attempting to evolve the Jedi Order based on the lessons he learned in the previous film only to be cut down before he can, forcing other Jedi (hopefully EU characters like Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn) and of course the younger heroes to step up.

After all the EU stuff that is out there, most would be good for their own full movie treatment. That said, what was done with the Fate of the Jedi series would serve them well to use. You have the Young padawan/jedi knight Ben with female sith on the borderline between the two sides of the force. An Antogonist of massive power already mentioned in the clone wars animated saga. Basically it would be a passing of his legacy onto the new heroes to come. Now they will go 180 in the other direction but this is how I would see it.

Any ties to the current EU would be a huge constraint to the writers of these movies. Chances are that Michael Arndt and whoever else ends up writing this are not huge fans of the books or other sources of Star Wars media and are going to want to do their own thing. What Star Wars has been able to do with the EU is admirable, and they have done an amazing job keeping everything straight. But, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don’t see it continuing. :frowning:

I can understand from where you are looking at this. That would be a good direction to go. Considering the time that has passed in the series. Most of the EU stuff couldn’t be used with the actors involved. That was the reason for starting where I said. This would give them a means to bridge the trilogies. Granted they may not want to be hemmed in by the EU. Just that if they screw it up badly with a series that doesn’t work with the previous. They run the risk of scuddeling the rest of the franchise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What bothers me most about all this is that once again Lucas is ignoring, regardless of whether it was intended or not, the group of fans that kept the franchise alive long enough for him to release the prequels in favor of appealing to the largest chunk of the mass market. It wouldn’t be much to skip over the established EU as it is but Fenatic is right, you won’t make a good film if you constrain the writers too much and if they’re forced to adhere to anything about galactic politics, offspring, the return of the Jedi Order and so on. There’s still millions of fans out there who read and love the books who could potentially affect the popular opinion of the new films. So what, if any, compromise is there?

What bothers me most about all this is that once again Lucas is ignoring, regardless of whether it was intended or not, the group of fans that kept the franchise alive long enough for him to release the prequels in favor of appealing to the largest chunk of the mass market.

I agree with this 100%, although I don’t know if you can blame that all on Lucas at this point. I remember a few years ago Lucas was on The Daily Show (or was it Colbert? He has been on both) where he was talking about his fans. He said, and I’m paraphrasing here, that there were the fans who were young when they saw the original movies, the newer fans of the prequel movies, and the brand new fans who were into Clone Wars. I took a little bit of offense from that considering I don’t fit into any of those, and I’m pretty much the biggest Star Wars fan I know (excluding other GWCers). I first saw the Star Wars movies after my Mom rented(!) them form the local video store(!!), that was around 1993 I’d guess. Been a fan ever since, along with pretty much every guy my age, lol. None of us were even born when the movies came out and didn’t get to see them on the big screen until the Special Editions came out. Star Wars fans are of all ages, and to prioritize and say that these films are for this type of fan is patronizing and flat out wrong.

That being said, I have more faith in the current creative team working on the new movies then I have in Mr. Lucas as far as appealing to all star wars fans.

(I bolded specific parts of your post to show my reasoning)

It sounds to me like you squarely fit in that first group. :slight_smile:

I remember that interview and found it quite enlightening. I don’t think he was saying that only certain people can enjoy certain parts of the series. I think he’s saying that, in general, only certain people do enjoy certain parts of the series, and this is why.

That said, I am (and have been since about 6) a huge fan of the originals, increasingly disliked the prequel movies one more than the other, and think the first 2 seasons of the Clone Wars was fantastic. Season 3 was pretty dodgy and I haven’t seen 4 yet. I have no idea what that says about me but it obviously doesn’t pidgeonhole me into one of those groups. And I don’t think Lucas would be surprised at all.