NYC Meetup? - Thu 12/8 or Fri 12/9?

Hey guys! Sorry for the short notice, but I finally got approval for my business trip to NYC. I’m going to be tied up in workshops on Wednesday & Thursday but would love to meetup with GWCers either on 12/8 Thursday night or 12/9 Friday afternoon/night, if people are available. I’m going to be staying in the Bryant Park area. Haven’t been to NYC since I was a teenager, so any suggestions of restaurants or other things to do would be very welcome. Thanks!

That’s not so short notice…I’ve been know to do far worse. =)

I may be able to manage Friday night, assuming I can catch a train from CT in time that afternoon. We may also want to see what Solai and ATGreat’s schedules may be, also as locals, maybe StevieSpin?

The more the merrier! :slight_smile:

My Friday’s really flexible - I was planning on sightseeing and or shopping during the day, and as it ends up I’m not flying back to Chi-town until Saturday.

Let’s see what works for everybody and then we can make a plan closer to the day.

Friday would be great. I was planning to get up there some time in November, but it’s just not going to happen. December should work though.

I’m a maybe. I’ll try to get Friday off, we’ll see what happens.

I put in my application to get Friday 12/9 off. I’ll know soon if I actually get it off.

If I can, I’ll check for good restaurants and as always, I’m in for any excuse to go to the American museum of Natural History or other location for the afternoon.

Kiki, do you have any dining preferences?

I’m trying to decide on an art museum to visit - moma or guggenheim, but might have time for museum of natural history too. :slight_smile:

I can be a bit picky about food, but generally any American (if not too esoteric), steakhouse, chinese, or Italian restaurant will have something I’ll like.

Hey Guys!

Dec 9 works great for me. I’ll be working that day but could join for dinner =)

woot!

Steve

The 9th works for me

I would love to catch dinner with y’all but my daughter has her Girl Scouts meetings on Friday evenings. I’ll try and keep updated so we can hookup for lunch on Friday afternoon.

I might be able to find myself over there for this…any idea what the festivities might be?

At this point, no idea. I don’t know the city at all, so I am open to suggestions about restaurants/pubs. I’m leaning towards the Museum of Natural History for afternoon hanging out. And so we need someplace near there for a lunch and then we need someplace for dinner. With holiday expenses I’m looking for places that aren’t going to break anyone’s budget (including mine). My hotel’s right near Bryant Park, so someplace near there for dinner would be easiest for me.

If anyone has any suggestions, post them here. :slight_smile: or DM me. I’ll try to do some online searching this week and post some options. And then we can finalize things this weekend.

Thanks ya’ll for showing an interest in a meetup - this is going to make my visit just that much more fun. :smiley:

What part of the city are you going to be in?? It’s a BIG town…lowering the radius might help a little :slight_smile:

I’m staying just a bit east of times square & bryant park.

There’s always the Dave N Busters in Times Square as a suggestion…it will be a little chaotic…but D&B is always a fun time :slight_smile:

That’s not a bad idea. Even on a Friday nite they should have enough space for us. And is a suitably geeky lacale for gwcers, right? :slight_smile:

Okay folks, now’s the time to chime in if you have other suggestions.

And the gi-normous Toys R Us is right there too…plenty of things to geek out over B )

Glad you liked the idea!

count me in folks! i’d love to spend an afternoon with gwc’ers.

I should be good for whatever plans you guys make. Although, cause I’m under 21, would it be alright if we avoid a place where you have to sit at the bar or something? thanks!

Cool!

If the Dave & Busters is anything like the one in Chicago, there should be no worries about being under 21. And that’s where I’m leaning towards at this point. I’m going to the musuem of natural history in the afternoon and if other people are interested in going, we can make lunch and the museum part of the meetup too. Depending on how long it takes to from the museum to D&B in times square in Friday rush hour, I’m thinking I’ll be there sometime between 5 and 6.

I’ll going to try to firm up plans and post an “official” itinerary this Friday. I’m going to see if D&B takes reservations - so if folks could let me know in this thread or by PM if you’ll be able to make it, that way I can get a rough headcount.

Thanks everybody - this is going to make my trip just that much more fun. :smiley:

oh yeah…silly but obvious question…we looking at an afternoon or later in the day meeting for this? Just trying to plan my schedule and work my “I’m unavailable” excuses (I work for myself), and wanted to have a general idea when I can squeeze in my cranky “fix my computer jobs”…and jump on a train or two to get into the city…