Next GWC Arc: Stargate

So I know you’re asking yourselves, “What the hell is the crew watching so I can get my Stargate on?”

Well, to answer that let me first say that there is no watching assignment that we are going to cover and straight up talk about.

Each of the three primers will cover SG1, SGA and the movies but that won’t be mutually exclusive to each cast. They way we look at it most of Stargate is linked together in a way that other shows aren’t, so limiting the talk solely to a few ‘sodes of a particular show for each doesn’t really do it justice.

That said, there are a few ‘sodes we are going to watch that we feel help capture the spirit of each series and we will be viewing before the casts.

SG1

Season 6: Prometheus (Available on Hulu)
Season 10: Unending

Extra credit, one of my favorite episodes from season 9: “Ripple Effect” and the first Baal episode S7: Abyss are great ones to check out as well.

SGA

Season 4: Be all my sins remembered
Season 5: Remnants (Available on Hulu)

A great episode of coolness in SGA is in season 3: “The Game” as well.

Movies

There are several movies to choose from here (like the org.) of course but as we’re fond of time travel we are going to go with: Continuum

As we said, there will be lots of stuff to cover so we are just picking some favs to watch and topics in the cast will no doubt range over a bunch of episodes.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

No Windows of Opportunity? The quintessential, imo, comedic episode?

Yeah, WoO is a great episode, but I was hoping they’d cover Lost City, considering how epic it is.

Oh, and Abyss is Season 6 because

[SPOILER]Daniel’s ascended in it [/SPOILER]

Can’t I just watch the original James Spader Stargate over and over and over? :smiley:

I believe what Sean means [insert Kirk dirty look here] is that we encourage watching ALL of Stargate. Personally, I’m watching every bit of it in order. But if you only have time for a couple, we’ve offered a few recommendations.

That said, watch 'em all! :slight_smile:

Interesting episode choices Sean. If anyone is looking for more from SG1, espeically the early episodes I would suggest:

The Torment of Tantalus

The Fifth Race

A Matter of Time

Thank you Sean. I’m actually gonna print out your post as a to do list.
I’m a complete Stargate virgin (except for the original Kurt Russell, James Spader flick).
So your guidance is appreciated.

I am a total Stargate n00b. I can’t wait to hear what the Crüe have to say. Like you Thot, I’ve only seen the original movie. I’m interested to see what sets the Stargate series apart from other series. What makes it tick and special?

What I find strange is why I missed it. Like Chuck mentioned, I also would peruse it after watching BSG and leave with a ‘Meh’ feeling. I thot Claudia Black and Ben Browder would get me interested watching (I loved ‘Farscape’). It just didn’t keep my attention. It seems like SciFi Lite, or maybe worse amateur. On top of it, it’s a daunting catalog. 10…10 seasons! As well as the various other series and films. It’s a huge franchise that rivals greats like ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Star Wars’.

So yeah, I can’t wait to heat what the Crüe have to say.

Stargate is such a fun series but I have to dissagree with the crew saying that season one sucked. There were some very star trekish episodes there such as “The Torment of Tantalus” and one of my favorites “Solitudes” because of the MacGyver refrences in it. Good stuff.

I don’t remember the first season being bad, but I haven’t done a rewatch since the box set for season 5(?) came out, which was a while ago. Admittedly, the middle block of seasons were better, Id even say they were the best(in my opinion the show really dragged arse those last few Orii seasons). Love this show anyway, great scifi tv, wish I had the time to rewatch all the seasons (or even 1 :frowning: ) Going to watch the recommended viewing list, but all in all I cant wait for the arc, its gonna be awesome! (thats an official prediction) :cool:

I’m with you, there. Plus there’s so much stuff introduced that later gets built upon. (The Nox, the Asgard, etc.)

It probably isn’t too late to call in with some of your thots! :smiley:

So, I’m a newbie too here - the only thing I’ve watched was the movie (that came before the TV show, I think?) when it came out. I don’t really remember too much, other than the contraption itself and some stuff with pyramids. :smiley: Would Sean’s list of episodes be a good way to get a general idea of the show, or are there other episodes (say a total of 8) that you’d recommend?

I started at episode one and kept on chugging. (whenever I discovered it and started buying DVD sets that is)

Sean’s list and the episodes I postedare pretty good starts for SG1 at least. (Although the episode Unending is actually the very last episode of the series). I also started with the first episode and kept going, which worked great for some, but I know that the crew didn’t like the first episode much.

The third or forth episode of Season 1, “Emancipation” was much worse than the Pilot. If you really wanna watch some of the best SG-1 Episodes, i would recommend “The 5th Race” of season 2 and “Lost City”. The latter one is the Season Finale of Season 7

No, no, no!

Look, you gotta watch them in order. Yeah, there’s a couple stinkers in there, but that’s the price of admission to a new series. Hell, TNG should have done so well… In their first three seasons!

Anyhoo, you’ll get the basics for the first fiveish seasons, and no Wesley Crusher (Sorry, Wil. S’truth.)

Right, the best way it to watch the series in order.

That episodes mentioned by me wre only for those people who would wanna see the best and then want to find out how it went to that points, so that they’ll watch all the other episodes.

Fair enough, and good enough for guideposts. If it gets people in, it’s worth it.

Good morning campers, I am a total stargate geek. I have seen every single episode countless times, I lost count something like around 100 times or so. I love stargate soo much that I watch an episode every day. I start with the movie and then continue with SG-1 and then SGA and then the SG-1 movies. Its sweet that GWC is spending the time to talk about it. If you want to get a real understanding of Stargate then watch the movie and then watch at least the first 3 or 4 seasons of SG-1 and the first 2 seasons of SGA. I also cant wait for the new series SGA (Stargate Universe) that starts on Fri Oct 2. Also a cool thing is that SY FY in the USA and Space in Canada and Sky 1 IN the UK are all airing the show, and SYFY and Space are airing at the same time. That rocks for us Canadians.
Thanx for talking about one of the best Sci Fi shows in the world.