Next GWC Arc: Classic Sci-Fi

In case you were wondering, the first new arc of the new year will be some old Sci-Fi.

The first of which is going to be the old 50’s classic “The day the Earth Stood Still”

So if you’re looking to participate fully, your first stop will be the Frak Party forum where FP guru Badgerspoon will likely post a watch schedule for some or all of the films.

Remember, it’s all casual and fun. If you get a chance, pop over and check out some of the fun. If not, don’t worry – the podcasts will be fun for you, too.

It will be a sweet five weeks and get us primed for a great new year of awesome Sci-Fi, fantasy, and comics. It’s a subject we’ve been kicking around for quite some time and we’re excited to finally be doing it. Rock!

Note: More to follow…there are at least two more which I believe are War of the Worlds and Invasion of the Body Snacthers. However the Xmas buzz Has me a little wonked and I must check the notes.

Edit:

Ok, here we go. “The List” of classic Sci-FI, in order of our community arc re-watch…

Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 version)
War of the Worlds (1953 version)
Planet of the Apes (1968 version)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version…I think)
2001 (Heh, 1968 version)

Hells yeah, it’s gonna be a good time! The remakes/restarts will prolly be referenced but these are the ones we will be focusing on.

Frakking great movie! Let’s get our Gort on!

cool!! I’ve had it sitting on my DVR for a while now, hoping it would be included :slight_smile:

Huzzah! I have the Day the Earth Stood still ready to go. Which versions (year released) of WOTW and Invasion?

Well, given the choices, I think they’ll probably talk about the originals and the re-makes. The 50s versions deal with possession and fear of Communist invasion of the McCarthy era. The remakes replace some of the psychological gimmicks with special effects and updated cultural aspects.

Gort!!!

:d

Cool! WotW 1953 was just on AMC the other night and I caught it.

Last years remake of Day the Earth stood still was mostly an FX fest. The '78 version of Body Snatchers was pretty good. But War of the Worlds…the remakes are IMHO just craaaaap. I’m just pretty burnt out on the massive number or remakes lately.

For a good list of Sci-Fi movies go here:

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~ntucs82/PEOPLE/b2506017/sf/list.html

I use this link as a reference a lot. :slight_smile:

The '53 War of the Worlds is still in my top ten favorite movies. Even by today’s standards the SFX hold up pretty well, and those Martian war machines are so bad-sBarb. I’ll have to dig out an old fanzine I’ve got which detailed some of the effects work. Can’t wait.

Very solid list, but I think we should add Forbidden Planet! I saw it fairly recently for the first time and fell in love with it. I think its responsible for Star Trek in a big way.

It was indeed. Roddenberry used the look and feel of ‘Forbidden Planet’ as a template for the Original series pilot, ‘The Cage’.

Yeah, I totally agree. Forbidden Planet is truly one of the classics and has a great plot to boot (based on The Tempest, in fact). And I always think of it when Qui-gon is burning through those blast doors with his lightsaber in Phantom Menace. It also introduced one of the greatest pieces of tech ever, Robby the Robot, to the world.

:DBoy, this gets me excited. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen these films, but I’ve always been fascinated by well made classics, and how they seem to knock the wind out of a lot of the newer stuff.

I took a brief look and Forbidden Planet seems it would be an excellent candidate. Anyone notice how a few minutes in a character says the number 1701? Influence on Star Trek indeed…

I’ve seen bits and pieces of all of these, but I’ve never sat down and watched them straight through. I’m excited! Yay!

BTW, just checked, and Planet of the Apes (1968) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) are both available on Netflix Instant Watch.

(But be quick! 2001 is only available until 1/1/10.)

Btw, for those interested in such things, Turner Classic Movies is showing 2010 on Jan. 1, 2010.

Great list, and yes Forbidden Planet is truly a classic.

How about The Time Machine (1960) ?
Or Invaders From Mars (1953) +

So looking forward to this arc.
GWC is the best !!

I’d like to see a '70’s Sci-Fi arc too:

Silent Running (1971)
The Omega Man (1971)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Soylent Green (1973)
Dark Star (1974)
Logan’s Run (1976)
Mad Max (1979)

More good choices !!

Damn, thats a lot of good classic sci-fi that I forgot about. Well, like all of the arcs, we do not have time for everything, and I’m sure we will visit them again.

In case anyone hasn’t already, check out the calendar for upcoming frak parties for these movies and some of their remakes (or sequel, in the case of 2001).

Great list!

Two favorites of mine which haven’t been mentioned yet are The Thing (1951) and its 1982 reimagining. Both are masterpieces of paranoia.