NaNoWriMo 2010

Ooh a NaNoFrak! That sounds excellent and I am up for it. It’s my first time too and I will take all the help I can get :wink:

I am signed up now at Nanowrimo under Omra, still not sure yet which characters I am going to use. I am leaning toward my Suzi character…

I too caved and created my account yesterday. Not quite sure what my approach will be yet.

I’m excited that we have a GWC group doing NaNoWriMo. We can all sign up to be buddies on the NaNo site. I’m Dawn Maria there.

I just added you Dawn. I am Kirokai on the NaNo forums. :slight_smile:

I haven’t been around much lately (my new job makes it a LOT harder to spend time on the web) but I’m in again this year. I’m “paleogamer” on their site (my usual handle was taken).

I’m at 3,321 words so far, but man… it is all shit so far. Here’s hoping that I can ‘pre-roll’ all the dreck out of my system under the ‘don’t try to write well, just write lots’ theory of self improvement. :smiley:

Also, gotta work hard to stay ahead of the curve. 3,321 puts me right at the ‘if you can do this consistently, you’ll be fine’ mark, but of course I can’t rely on that!

I’ll go through the thread and add some writing accountabilibuddies from here, I’m ‘Thunderscreech’ on nanowrimo as well.

This is the first year I acrtually remembered about it before it was too late. I was a day late getting started. I’m Apollymy there, too.

I’m crazy for trying this while working two jobs and in a month with a bazillion birthdays, right?

I was looking through the NaNo forums reference desk area looking for something and came across some questions that really made me laugh. Thot I’d share.

Are Elephants Capable of Taking Over the World?
Cats and alcohol?
So just how well does drug dealing pay the bills?
People from Glasgow! What do you call your grand parents?
Living off nothing but peanut butter for months on end
If a Mute Person Coughs, Do They Make a Sound?
Can a man survive in a whale’s mouth?

Been a bit stalled these past two days. Having that day of jury duty threw me off, I’m looking forward to the weekend and getting some good time in. HubAZ will be away on a guy’s weekend, so the house will be quiet.

Happy writing all!

Ditto, except instead of jury duty it’s traffic court on Tuesday. The sequence I was working on has me stalled, so I had an idea about a different portion to concentrate my efforts, hopefully I can get on track soon.

I thought today would be easy since I was at a point in the story with a lot of action, not so. I found myself having to carefully slip in information that the reader would not have had previous knowledge of, the Phen’rell are a race of shapeshifters and I have been slooooowly introducing information about them throughout the story. Being careful not to slow things down with too much exposition.

So now I was in a position where I needed to parce in information about the rules of Phen’rell shapechanging into the story so the reader could gleen knowledge of how the different forms (they can change into three different forms) would effect a battle. And other little tidbits such as which sex has certian abilities over the other and so forth. Thereby they could more easily understand the main character’s reasoning and the strategy behind her actions.

Also needed to plant the seeds for the upcoming reveal.

So things got a little complicated. So I only got to 9,424 today.

Spending yesterday to outline the rest of the book really helped me today. I’ve written 3196 words so far today for a total of 11,694. :slight_smile:

How do I add the word count widget to my signature here? I see that others have figured it out. Is there a special trick to it?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/widgets

You get your user ID # from your profile page then modify the URL of one of these images, then voilla!

Then, of course, put the URL in an IMG tag in your signature.

Thanks Thunder. I just tried and it still just comes up as code. Meh. I fail. :rolleyes:

You can only have one image in your sig at a time. I suspect that’s what’s tripping you up.

Ba ha ha ha ha! I did not notice this thread until now! Planning on breaking 20k today. Gots to do all my writing on the weekends cos I don’t have much time during the week! Of course my story is sy fy :wink:

Here’s a good tip for word padding;

My characters are always doing something while they are talking;

"Are you sure that's wise?" Molly asked as she started making another pot of coffee.

My characters are always drinking coffee, sipping coffee, making coffee. It adds to the word count, plus you get tired in space, and i love coffee.

I hope your spaceships have bathrooms!:smiley: