NaNoWriMo 2010 Word Count Thread

Great work Omra!

I’m at a crossroads now. There’s no way I can finish the NaNo book, but I can get back to editing my finished novel, so I can have it ready to submit to agents again after the holidays.

I’m feeling like a real NaNo loser, but on a happy note, I got my acceptance letter for a Stanford Online Writing program this weekend. I intend to work on the NaNo book in the program, so at least I’m not abandoning my NaNo book.

I’m not sure if I’ll do this again. Next Nov I’ll be in my Stanford classes, so it’s probably not the best thing to do NaNo then. Hmm…

Good luck to everyone- this is hard!

I am at 35,478… Still keeping a little ahead, the suggested count for today is 35,000. I think I can stretch the rest of the story out in another 14,000 or so. Or if not I can always fluff and embellish… Or if I get really desperate I can break the story down into 1000 chapters!:smiley: That would add another 2000 words…:rolleyes:

I am going to try and play catch up over the TG holiday. I don’t know if I will make the 50K now.

I am now at 40,588 which places me 588 words ahead of the proposed count for today. My story is in the throes of the ‘big reveal’ right now.

I think I can wind up the escape, big confrontation, and bittersweet finale within the next 10,000 words or so. I don’t know how much writing I will be able to do after eating too much turkey tommorrow. I will have to do some make-up no doubt.

I thought I was done, but when I put my story into the word count validator it came up with about 1k less words than Open Office did! Had to write another flashback scene to get it done. I thought this would be an easy project with the story I had in mind, but it did not turn out that way. I really had to work to get the last 10k!

Good job to everyone!

Nobody likes a show-off!:smiley:

I got nothing done yesterday, but I busted out a lot of words today, I am only 400 words behind schedule. I hope to plow through a crap-ton tommorrow too and get ahead.

Back on track I am up to 45,294. I hope I can finish a day early, on Monday.

I did it!!! And a day early!:smiley: 51,004 words!:slight_smile:

Now I can go back to having a life.

Way to go TGPAL and Omra!!

Now, what did you write about?

In short

I wrote the whole back story to a character I had created for Role Playing, a number of years ago. In fact she had just ever so briefly showed up in the RPG we had on here before it ground to a halt.

In long-

It takes place on a colony world where the Brathai clan have settled, and the story starts twenty years after the Kerh’hon (also in the same RPG) have mysteriously left after having invaded, enslaved the people and ravaged the planet for resources. The Brathai are Phen’rells a feline race that can shape-change into three forms, and the story is told from the perspective of a female by the name of Chaka’Rah whose name means ‘Fire which sweeps the plains’.

She happens into circumstances that propel her into a series of adventures which will test her skills and resolve, while unraveling political and religious plots and scandals. She seeks the truth but may not like what she finds, and if she exposes it the cost could be dear.

The greatest problem was trickling in information and exposition without bogging down the story, I like to treat my readers like they are intelligent enough to figure things out if I give them enough clues without spoon feeding them. And yet introducing them to my unique universe with its various species and cultures.

Wow Omra! Good for you!

I was nowhere close to winning, but I’ve accepted it. Perhaps one year, I’ll get into it, but overall I had a hard time with the pressure.

And life was a habit of getting in the way.:slight_smile:

In a weird way I was kinda lucky, being unemployed means lots of free time. Next year I hopefully will not be so lucky, but I hope to have developed a habit of weekly writing to bone up my skills and give myself better discipline.

And now I suppose my next task will be to edit, edit, edit my wee little novel…:eek:

My story was about the crew of a salvage ship that got rerouted to a different moon of Jupiter to strip an experimental space station of it’s precious metals (stuff like this is expensive in the future) Then they get there and find som horrific stuff and get killed off. There is lots of fighting, sex and gore. It’s sci-fi horror after all.

At first I was writing it as a prequel to Alien, with many Weyland-Yutani company references, but no Aliens. I ended up changing the company name because I think I can get at least one more story out of this sandbox.

A friend of mine from back when we pulled jury duty together, found out about my NaNoWriMo novel and asked me to send her a copy. She had read some of my RPG posts from way back, as well as samples of stories I had been working on from years ago and really liked them.

So I printed out the story and am going to mail it to her, she is very computer illiterate and does not have Microsoft Word so I always have to mail her my stuff. I have considered having her download and install Open Office but I fear even that may be too much for her.

I hope she likes the story…:slight_smile:

it is great to see wrimos here I didn’t know were wrimos!

Seeya in november!

(Zombie vampires this time!)