NaNoWriMo 2010 Word Count Thread

I spent most of my time editing, which was brutal and sucked much sorry barb but I think it cleaned things up a lot. I am now up to 5,293!

Lots more tweaking today. But still mamaged to get some writing done, up to 7,052 words The site is waaaaay faster today! I needed to shave again by the time it came up yesterday…

I’m up to 8,458. I think I am going to take tomorrow off from writing and work on outlining where I want the rest of my story to go from here. Today I felt like my writing was rambling more than usual, and I wrote a lot dialogue which I don’t think is my strongest skill. For the most part I am pleased with the direction I’m heading. I hope everyone else has had a successful first week Nano-ing :slight_smile:

ETA: Omra, I love your siggy :slight_smile:

Hey everyone. The tech guys at Nano said their stats thingy is frakked up. I’m sure they’ll get it up and running soon. They we not ready for all the participation this year. The nano site is running hella better today. I put up a spreadsheet file in the other thread that keeps much better stats on your word count than nano does. It’s got tons of stats for people who like numbers. Good luck everyone and happy writing. I’m crammin all my writing in tonight since I probably will not be able to do any serious writing after tonight until Friday.

I did not catch up on my writing this weekend, I’m pretty behind. I always feel good at the start of the week, so I’m ready for my next scene during my writing time tomorrow. I also started half-marathon training today and really, what the hell am i thinking?

Here’s to hoping for a good week.

I am to 14,204. It is so hard to not keep going back and editing, I need to keep moving the story forward instead. I have to continue fighting the latent perfectionist in me.

I don’t think I use that many words in a day. Way to go, Omra.

Learning the hard way that writing emotionally charged scenes can be very draining. And discovering a new love for dialog, I had no idea that I had any talent for it at all.

Being a recovering Dungeonmaster world-building came easy, and populating them with interesting and well rounded people with personalities and agendas as well. And storytelling of course developed out of all those years of gaming, but doing it on paper has been a real learning experience.

As a side note, I received a call for a job interview. If all goes well I may finally have found a job! If so it will no doubt doom finishing the first draft of my nanowrimo novel on time, but it will be a boost to my wallet and to my self esteem. And if it pays decent and I can find the time off maybe I can go to the meet up after all, here’s hoping!:slight_smile:

I’m at 15,318. I’ve had almost no sleep in the last few days. I imagine that re-reading what I’ve just written a few days from now will be quite interesting.

It can be scary, I still catch myself doing daily edits even though your not supposed to.

I wrote 2370 words today which brings my total to 17,746. Not as far I had hoped but still well ahead of the suggested total for today which is: 16,667. YAY!

I am still poking along very slowly. It’s going to be what it’s going to be. Glad to be on the journey with some cool folks! Happy writing all! I’m just over 4,000 words. I might need a Red Bull binge session!

I’m just over 2100. Need to find time and have no interuptions.

I have fallen a little behind, I am at 19,808. The suggested word count for today is 20,000. Could be worse…

I am not giving up!

Good job to everyone! I’m so proud of my fellow GWCers! Don’t feel bad if your word count is low, just keep plugging away at it. For people who don’t do this type of writing on a regular basis, it can be very daunting, and that 50k mark can seem very, very far away. Just remember what the old lady said when she spit into the ocean, “Every little bit helps.”

Once again, good job & keep on writing. I’ll be writing on and off for the next six hours so hopefully I’ll amass a buncha words tonight!

I am now at 24,063, which puts me back on track. The suggested count for today is 23,334 so I am ahead again. I have good days and bad. I am nearly to the halfway point!:slight_smile:

Pandora is my writing soundtrack, I can’t listen to podcasts because they distract me. I can’t even listen to songs with lyrics I am familiar with because I find myself following the lyrics instead of the forming words in my head. New Age is good because it has NO LYRICS, but if I need a boost I have to listen to something harder.

Anyways I hope the rest of you are plugging away. Don’t get discouraged or give up!

25,450, just keeping my nose above water so to speak… Broke the halfway point!:slight_smile:

After having a terrible time writing anything this weekend, I managed 5224 words today after making a huge breakthrough on my novel. I’m still not caught up, but I am happy where I am at for now. I changed the location of my book and started incorporating some supernatural elements. I also managed to figure out how to put the widget in my signature, finally. :smiley:

I am so behind it’s awful. I got myself sidetracked with starting half marathon training a week after NaNo started. At this point there’s no way I’ll hit 50,000 but I’d like to get to at least 15,000. This week I had three days of training AFTER work and I’m gone for the weekend, so I’ll be doing a big 8 day push to see where the book goes. Our holiday weekend is pretty calm.

It was dumb to start another big project at the same time as NaNo, but honestly, I need the half marathon more. But I think the bigger issue is that I didn’t do enough prep on the book. I don’t feel very grounded in it. Part of all of this is knowing what your process is and I think mine isn’t a “see where the boom takes me” approach. I should have had a more detailed outline. Once I have an outline, I am fine veering from it, but I like the roadmap to start with.

Anyway, I am still very inspired by everyone else’s progress. Keep going!

Now at 29,145, not too bad. Still a little ahead of the suggested count (28,334), my only worry right now is my story ending before 50,000 words.

I only have three more major story elements to go, is it enough to fill out another 20,000 + words?:eek:

31,113… plowing ahead with ton-o-action taking place in the story! It will reach a climax tomorrow, after that it will be more questing. Then ultimately leading to secrets being revealed and finally the big confrontation which will have huge consequences for the character.

I am actually getting a little excited about it!