My rant about Caprica.

I just want to offer up something I’ve been saving for awhile. I have listened to the nay sayers and I can’t take it anymore…

Shut the frak up!!

You spent 5 years of your life watching a show that all most NO ONE thought was going to be any good, Find that it is the best show on TV in recent history but when the same people come up with another idea you want to jump back on the naysayers band wagon?

Have they not proven themselfs to you already?

Have they not proven that they are able to write a great story?

What is it about Caprica that worries you?
No space battles?
New cast?

I am sorry but the naysaying is really starting to get under my skin and I can’t keep quiet about this anymore. This isn’t meant for anyone person so much as a rant. You are all welcome to share your thoughts.

Thank you.

Cody, I totally feel your pain. But this is something that comes with being a fan (of anything). It’s like Roger Nygard said in Podcast #159: As human beings we look the most intently at the things we love, which means we also bitch the most about 'em. Result: 80% of all discussion in fandom is about why something sucks, misses the mark, or “should’ve been done differently.” It can be frustrating when you’re looking for deeper (or event lighter) discussion.

But hey – don’t be afraid to exercise your ability to select what you read/watch/listen to. Personally, I tend to avoid threads centered on pure “suck vs. great” discussion. I’m not that interested in that topic, and I try to be fair by not subjecting GWC podcast listeners to much of it from me. But hey – if that’s what makes someone happy, I’m glad it’s here for 'em.

Thanks for that Chuck. :slight_smile:

I’m perfectly fine with people saying how they feel but it gets to a point when I just can’t keep quiet about it.

I have complete faith in Caprica becasue of Battlestar.

I have also been very happy that you don’t do the “suck vs great” craaap in the podcast.

I don’t get it either, CFO. None of the clips that are out there can fairly be called spoilers - unless one has been hibernating since last fall - and they “look” great (some have that “The Godfather” visits Caprica look, others 2001 a Space Od look - how can you beat that?). The “big story”, while not necessarily novel (what is?) is a very interesting take on the “creation” storyline - all the moreso, because of the tie in to the sequel, BSG.

The whole thing seems to be full of “uh - oh”, OMG, now I get it (re religion) and that is so cool, but chilling moments.

Yeah - I’m with you, Chuck. I go more for the sophisticated “great vs. suck” threads. (A fine distinction, only appreciated by the ancients.)

This thread sucks. :slight_smile:

I’m really looking forward to Caprica but with a degree of trepidation. I don’t want to be going into it with the idea that its going to be as good and Battlestar and then be painfully disappointed.

I’m really glad that the 'casts, and these boards in general, are more on the “What they did right” side of the argument. There really is too many negative things said about TV show, movies, music etc. I think its just too easy to say where something went wrong as opposed to where they went right.

Well said cody and Chuck…

Either way, I’m going to see it. Why? Cuz it’s donw with by the same foks who brought BSG…erego (yes, I said erego…), I’ll be watching.

I’m going in with the same thought that I had with Dollhouse VS Firefly. It may not be equal to, but it will sure be a good watch.

Well, I’m with you Cody.

I’m old enough to remember years and years of the tiniest drop of scifi in movies and TV. Being then, young & optimistic, I watched anything SciFi with a hungry eagerness. Now, not so young, but still optimistic, I’ll give almost any SciFi an honest viewing, and hope that it has “something” for me to enjoy, and ponder, etc.

I’ve never understood all the energy spent on ripping something apart that hasn’t even aired yet, but what the hell. I say, ignore.

If only there had been a prequel to “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” (starring Richard Basehart and David Hedison - the former being MST3K’s Gypsy’s favorite actor).

Ok, I’ll admit it.
I watched VTBS faithfully when it aired, giant sea creatures every week and all.:slight_smile:

Wait a minute. Wasn’t the prequel, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ?

I knew it, I just knew it. During the first 2 seasons about every fifth episode was pretty good (no sea monsters, but rather the occasional island secluded Nazi or infiltrating Commie or technology run amok) and in black and white. And for those Doc Cottle fans out there, it was always reassuring to see Adm. Nelson smoking a cigarette up in the observation bow/deck, chatting with Capt. Crane, (his hand tembling ever so slightly) after again saving the world.

I’m going in with the same thought
it is great!!!

I got caught up in BSG and made an idiot of myself. Nevertheless I expect to fall in love with Caprica. If I don’t, it is not that bad–but I believe I will. It looks great!

I think we all want something we can love, be enthralled and enriched by, and it is kind of like falling in love with a person–the fire dies down at some point–the honeymoon ends. It is wise I guess to know when that point arrives.

So say we all.

Who exactly has been complaining about this show? Didnt they see the pilot? It was awesome…

The same kind of people who complained about the re-imagining I expect.
Ones who never have seen it and dislike the idea only.

To be fair, a lot of the concerns that were expressed by TOS BSG fans were potentially disasterous.

Imagine if Mike Bay did the remake. BOOM!

Here is one more opinion on this topic…

RDM has earned my giving whatever he does a Valid and whole hearted chance.

I will give Any Sci-fi a chance, but RDM could even let me down a few times and I would still give whatever he has his hand on, a chance.

Re: the complaining, I forget which BSG commentary… RDM laughed at fans who said, “You know, I’ve watched that episode of Trek eight times, and it totally sucks.”