Model Trains

I was just wondering if anyone else here had a interest in model trains. I enjoy the building and maintenance of trains more than the actual useage of them. I first got an interested by my old maths teacher who in pleasent company would be called “eccentric,” He would bring out a puppet to make stuff interesting and wasn’t afraid to throw a chalk brick at a student when they stopped paying attention (fortunatly for him he was a ‘bad’ shot). Anyway when I got there he had been teaching for 35 years and had convinced the headmasters to give him an attic for a model train club. So When I got there the train system occupied a space of around 20 metres by 10, with a couple of holes for people to pop up in and place, tinker with stuff. We would spend our time scurrying around these planks in the roof and it was very surreal, my parents actually thought I was lieing when I first told them about it but it was very, in the words of chuck, awesome.

So does anyone else have any models, stories, interest?

Toyota Granvia Specifications

Hi DocP…sorry I really don’t have that much of an interest in model trains, but I have a huge fan of model kits.
I don’t have a digital camera, but maybe I can get hold of own and post some of the pictures of one of the Enterprise models I put together. About a year ago I built a 1701 refit Enterprise and added all the damage that it had at the start of Star Trek III. I burned sections of it, used soot from to add the right color along with paint…I added the hull breach repair plates that you see in Star Trek III if you look closely to some parts of the secondary hull…anyways I thought it was cool.

Wow, model railroading is a supremely geeky hobby. The Model Railroad Club at MIT was an early proving ground for new tech.

Unfortunately, I never got past the HO train 'round the Xmas tree stage. Although I did use train accessories for D&D sessions.

I’ve been an armchair modeler for many years.

Love it, Did it, and it helped me out greatly as an architect. i got to spend 30 hours just this past week doing a model- and being paid for it. It also offers me the opportunity to listen to podcasts.

My biggest set was in high school. it was only a 4x8 plywood, but it ran three locomotives at once and had a real running water waterfall/river that recycled with a fish pump under the table. Thank god for my dad’s supply of polyurethane for floors or my wire plaster terrain would have been mush.

Well I don’t own the layout, but I do run a 1:1 scale.

Thats cool. I have a good friend that does that on the Union Pacific line here from Rockford into Chicago. Learned a bit about how it all works and breaking couplers, etc.

I love my model railroad! So glad i’m not the only one!

For all the rail fans, from my 1:1 scale railroad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIryul51UQY

Are you kidding me!?! That footage was sped up a bit and it was still over 5 min. How long is that tunnel?

It was sped up 4x!!! It is just short of 8 miles long, and I think its still the longest through tunnel in north america. BTW it has a grade and we were going down hill so we can do track speed (25mph) and takes about 18-20 minutes. going the other way we grind up hill some times only doing 11 miles an hour. takes like 40 minutes that way.

Bring this thread back up as model railroading is one of my geeky hobbies. I’m an N-Scaler and have been collecting for over 10 years. I had a 6x8 layout that I was working on but had to take it down when I moved. Right now for fun I’m just building a door layout.

Hey! I’ve dabbled a bit in n-scale but kinda went back to HO (was thinking of doing a small modular layout someday) but I might get back into N. See you’re in Frisco too waves.

We are looking at buying a house and I’ve already picked out a room to start my layout in. Not sure what scale though, like I said, might get back into N.

I was reading a great article about folks who use Kato track if they are not sure of their location stability. If you move and can’t fit your layout - or want to change the layout because of the move you just pull up the track since it’s not “tied down”. Kato has a track plan which goes with the Woodland Scenic ridge kit. I’m thinking of using that track plan - but not the kit itself - just because its a good round-a-bout plan that fits on a 3’ x 6’ bench.

Interesting idea. I will have to check that out.

If I go back to N I’m thinking of doing a double deck around the room type of thing. However, I’m considering the possibility of sticking with HO and having a large switching layout since I really kind of like shortlines and equipment from the 40-50s (smaller and more varities of models).

I enjoying buying HO scale Trains, it’s fun when I travel from country to country I find hobby shops with I can buy local HO scale trains and trailers. right now it’s all in my storage unit while i live in japan, but when I get back to the states and have room, I will set it up. so for now it’s only buying and colleting for me.

Nothing wrong with that. I’ve been doing that off and on for 23 years now I guess…

Just so I can get something up and running I’ve picked up enough kato track to do the 3’ x 6’ woodlands scenic ridge layout. I’m not using the woodlands scenic kit but I liked the actual track plan… with a few modifications of course. Currently working it out in xtrkcad and will post my mods when done. here’s the kato layout from their site…

http://www.katousa.com/track-plans/scenic-ridge.html

That looks like a fun plan. Should allow for a long run.

Do you go to any of the shops around the Dallas area? The only one I’ve been to in a while is Discount Model Trains down in Addison (haven’t been there in a year or more though). Hobby Town doesn’t count :slight_smile:

Trips to DMT are pretty much standard. I’ve been shopping there for over 10 years. I know James (owner), Wayne and Mike really well. I can’t even remember the last time I went to Hobby Town… but Hobby Lobby carries quite a bit of Woodland Scenic products with can come in handy in a pinch. I hear that the Plano Hobby Town moved to the Tollway and it’s suppose to be a pretty impressive store now.