Minecraft

I’m still not sure what the actual gameplay of Minecraft is supposed to be, but I don’t care because the world-building capabilities are fascinating.

Galaxy-class Enterprise

//youtu.be/kn2-d5a3r94

Arithmatic Logic Unit (a computer, essentially.)

//youtu.be/LGkkyKZVzug

Any GWCers playing around with this yet?

It sounds interesting but also somewhat impenetrable. Can anyone provide a quick summary of what you DO? I mean, I get that there’s some kind of building element, and you can play solor or with others, but I don’t know if there’s a point.

Sounds like world-building is the point, according to WikiP. Looks like they’re adding more game elements. Sort of a blockier (and presumably easier) Second Life, with a dash of WoW.

//youtu.be/ANgI2o_Jinc

Here is a great intro video. Despite the graphics this game looks very interesting.
It appears fairly simple compared to more advanced games but the creative possibilities look awesome. :cool:

Update: I just spent the last 4-5 hrs playing and this is awesome. It’s still in Alpha and already completely addictive. The video gives you an idea of what this game. It’s just mine, survive and create. For some it would probably be boring but if the video intrigues you then it may be worth a try.

I wish I was more artistic. That Enterprise looks like a labor of love. It is huge. He was walking forever!

As for the game itself? don’t think it’s for me.

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=11931

Heh. Another thread merge?

Looks like the same thread to me.

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=11921

Sorry. Mis-copy-paste.

Oh. Hrm. Different forums. I’m content to leave them apart. Any (other) opinions?

They were made on the same day, about the same game, and the first link is the same video. I’m not really bothered either way. Just seems like one will get more attention than the other for “random” (i.e. I dunno why) reasons.

shrugs

Everyone look out! Minecraft is taking the world by storm.

I checked it out based on this thread and several Youtube video. I was totally addicted for the first few days, it was all I thought about. You get an idea of something you want to build and then hours disappear. It will be interesting to see how it develops. With a fan base of millions already, I wonder how the feedback will effect the final version (for better or worse).

Here is a pic of my base of operations.

someone needs to build a Battlestar, that’s all i have to say.

Someone has! But it’s probably not the same “Someone” we know here. :wink:

That is frakking brilliant!!!

Is that Colonial One off to the side?

This weekend I bought Minecraft ‘for the kids’, then went to try it out. Hours later, I was dragged out of the office by wife because it was past bed time.

This game is so much fun, I find myself thinking of new things to try when I’m walking or driving now.

I made this yesterday, MineCraft humor:

Telegram.
Candygram.
LandPig.

Wow.

So, based on threads here and on rpg.net, I decided to give Minecraft a test run. It’s not that expensive and the rpg.net crew maintain a multi-player server.

The following weekend was the first time in years that I skipped an entire night’s sleep.

This game just hits one of my buttons. It’s creative, but you need to put in effort to create your projects. (Unless you cheat on a server and have someone spawn stuff, but we avoid that typically.) It’s just fun. I started with a small lakeside home below a steep cliff next to a lava-fall. I used that lava to light up my mine as I dug deep into the earth.

Since then, I’ve made a floating mansion, an underwater observatory, a DnD style dungeon and am currently working on a Colossus.

It’s still in Alpha, so problems pop up from time to time, but nothing that keeps me from having fun so far. I’d heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys building stuff.

Yea i’ve been messing around with it. Pretty awesome