LOST Finale Theories and Hopes

Let’s hear 'em. How do you think it will all end on May 23? What are your hopes? Do you want to see a love quadrangle (Kate-Jack-Sawyer-Juliet) resolution? Do you want Smokey to get off the Island and fade to black…smoke? Should the final shot be Jack and alter-Jack meetup and poof Jack is laying on the ground staring up at the trees (ala the opening shot of the series)?

Do you want an answer to what the frak is going on or do you just enjoy the mystery? Would you rather not get answers but just see what happens to the characters? Who should die? Who should live?

I am more interested in what happens to the characters. I would like them to explain what the flash sideways world means or is…

I don’t have a grand unified theory of how it will end, but there is one thing I’m certain of: There will be a multitude of fans complaining that certain mysteries weren’t explained.
Damon addressed this in a recent interview. He compared the fans to his kids who are constantly asking questions, “yeah but why…yeah but what about…” he said the only answer that works is to say “Look Chucky Cheese!”
Certainly there will be unanswered questions, I only hope it’s a matter of them not dropping the ball coughBSGcough but leaving some things to our imagination.
I will go on record with one prediction: Daniel Faraday, with Desmond’s help, will facilitate the time travel needed to save everyone in the original time line. He will have trouble with his equations and will need a certain set of numbers.

Well I had hoped that the final shot would be Jack’s eye opening and him running to the beach to find the crashed plane a la the pilot.

Then I’d hoped that Lapidus would save the day and the finale would be called The Pilot.

Now I suspect that MiB will never make it off the island and will instead forgive his brother and sacrifice his life to save the world.

Either that or MiB will turn out to not be Jacobs brother. Whatever IT is, it has taken his desire to get off of the island along with his form.

Ellie will return to the island again.

I spoken of my theory in several places here and on Twitter. Even with everything that’s happened so far, I’m sticking to it.

I believe the betaverse (the timeline wherein the plane never crashed) will converge with the present timeline and real Locke will kick some ass on the entity using his body now. I believe Jack will stay on the island as a shepherd to the people who live there. Everyone is dead and no one is.

How’s that for covering all the bases?

Things I don’t care about and am willing to let go of-

Why there are polar bears on the island.
Smokey’s name.
What the numbers mean.
Why most women can’t give birth and survive on the island.
Why Ben was chosen by Jacob.

I’m assuming the number sequence from the first season will turn out to be jump coordinates for the FTL drive to take them to their new home.

More seriously, I’m assuming that everything we’ve seen happen in the Prime universe has been inside a bubble of spacetime or someone’s mind or something. The Numbers having this big effect out in the ‘real world’ makes more sense when it’s a pocket universe of some sort. So with that, I’m guessing the end will be part St. Elsewhere’s last episode, part end-of “Men in Black”, and part ‘DS9:Far Beyond the Stars’ (1930s science fiction writer episode)/Total Recall.

Also, there will be Slusho.

That myth always has one who is victorious–usually the Good twin. There’s no Good twin, but there’s Jack.

I expect the timelines to converge. I expect a loop as a consequence which, to my mind, means the Evil twin wins. As the loop repeats Jack wakes on the island after the crash, walks to the plane, knows what’s up because of the loop and takes Jacob’s place–but in the role Smokey had. Doing all Smokey did, but on the side of the good. That is, he’ll have to guide everyone through everything again, but from the position of Jacob.

Hurley goes home and eats. Evangeline Lily marries me.

Yep, I’ve nailed it.

I keep thinking of the side-verse with suspicion. I almost think of it as a little gift of what life should’ve been like for the losties and that through it all everything will turn up aces for them. Kate will be exonerated, Sawyer will meet anthony cooper and laugh his ass off what fate did to him and he’ll go a little crazy cuz he didn’t get to kill him. Locke will stand for his nuptials and Jack will be a groomsmen as will Ben. Jack will take his little sis under his wing and give her and the baby a new family.

I think it all boils down to Kate. She had the first episode of the season and she’ll get a big chunk of the last. I can’t tell if or how Jack will beat Smokey, but if her name isn’t on the list then FLocke can and will use her to get Jack or Sawyer to do what he wants including kill each other. Jack feels so shitty about Juliet that he may do anything to protect Kate.

I think that more will go unexplained than explained and a wave of fanfic will ensue to fill in the gaps. It’s a rough act to leave so many gaps but I think they’ll try to hit the big questions early and get them out of the way for the last episode. Ultimately I just hope I get to see Kate in a thong!

Although I’m skeptical we’ll get many more answers than we already have, I would like to see a better explanation of how the ancient mythology of the Island ties in with mysterious things that can’t be explained by science as we know it. Specifically, more about how the golden spring caused all the odd electromagnetic and time-related things at the Orchid and the Swan and how Jacob’s numbers for the 815 candidates became The Swan’s numbers and Hurley’s numbers.

Pocket universe. POCKET UNIVERSE! AFLAAAAAAC!
<cough>

pardon me.

Anyhow, so what I meant to suggest was that the ‘alternate’ universe is actually reality and the entire series up until it showed was an artifact of space time or something and didn’t actually exist.

Yeah. I think you represent most of the LOST fanbase there. That’s why there’s no doubt gonna be an uproar once the finale ends.

Yeah, I would also wanna see how the flash-sideways play into the main storyline.

Otherwise I’m just hoping for a mind-blowing final chapter of this Saga, which will make us wanna watch the hole series over and over again.
And if John Locke will reemerge on the Island, I won’t be disappointed.

In contract to the Cylons, Darlton and the rest of the creative staff, DID have a Plan from the beginning.:wink:

Well - at least they have made it SEEM like they had a plan - which really is all you can ask for.

Right, now you could bend it in that direction that most things fit from the start of the series.

My guess as to the last shot, or one of the last shots of the series? The real Locke waking up after Smokey leaves his body, saying “WTF was that?”

Second guess: Close up of someone’s eye opening or closing.

Third Guess: Two characters, one dressed in black, one in white sitting on the beach when some people crash land there. (Maybe in a futuristic vehicle?)

Hell, all three could be in the episode.

That reminds me, when the BSG finale aired, we tried to guess what that last word of the series would be, anyone care to guess what the last word of LOST will be?

My guess: The last word of LOST will be “lost”. And not just the title card at the end.

I really frakkin like that idea.

Absolutely - the reality is they probably did have a basic outline but changed some things along the way…which is the way it should be. I don’t need it to be Babylon Five (where the creater had a five year plan and everthing was plotted out). I just need it all to fit together in the end. Doesn’t really matter to me if they actually did plan or not.

So, you don’t think JJ Abrams will cameo as a janitor, shutting off the lights in the cave at the end of the episode?

:smiley:
Baltar