LOST Finale Discussion (Spoilers)

Wow! I feel pretty good about how LOST ended. It managed to blow my mind and make me ask questions, but in the end I think I get it. I’ve always felt the island was a way-station, but I really set that aside going into the finale because I focused on how the timelines would meet.

What does everyone say. I feel like I need to rewatch the last 30 minutes, but I believe they all died in the original crash and the last six seasons were their journeys toward reconciliation before moving on. So in a way, my theory that everyone would die and no one would, was correct. They all moved one to the next plane of existence.

I’m pleased.

I think they said the Island was ‘real’ and the LA-X universe was that staircase at the end of Titanic (1997).

I really need time to reflect, but I really liked a lot of the finale. Overall, more satisfied than not. It had some great character closure moments, lots to think about, and what about that cliff side leap commercial cutaway? Wow.

Anyway, after that all I have to say is bring onthe cartoon!

After reading more online articles post-finale, I’m wondering if the all the island stuff did happen & that the whole show was about preparing Jack to move on. Watch with Kristen on E! has a great commentary on this.

Oh goodness! I don’t know what the hell happened and I’m not sure the “what” part matters, all that matters is that they all found each other again. They waited to be together before moving on. Message of the show- the relationships in your life are what matter most. Loved it even though my mind is about to explode!

Yes - Jacks dad said that the Island stuff was all real - it all happened. The sideways reality of this season was some kind of shared limbo - where they could all let go of their lives and come together to move on. They all got to reuinite with their loved ones.

I will be making out with random hot chicks all day today just to see if I have a flashback.

I think that the island was very much real and the sideverse was the “train station” where everyone met to move on. They were there to figure out that they were dead and to move on together because they needed and depended on each other so much in life that they were always going to be together.

They all had to move on together and Jack was the last one to accept it all. If I had to guess I’d speculate that the island is the nexus point for the afterlife and they have to protect it or it’ll be impossible for people to move on.

I kept hearing the passacaglia that Bear McCreary wrote for BSG while Jack was talking with Christian in the end.

Wow, I can’t believe how much I’m going to miss this show. Jimmy Kimmel had it half right last night and everyone was too polite to correct him.

I will be making out with random hot chicks all day today just to see if I have a flashback.

Even more than normal?

I kept hearing the passacaglia that Bear McCreary wrote for BSG while Jack was talking with Christian in the end.

I kept hearing th theme from the last Babylon 5 episode…
If I can find both I will post them.

Everything on the island was absolutely real. Jack died where he first woke up on the island. Others died exactly as we saw in the show. Everyone on the plane made it back to civilization and lived out there lives. Kate helped Claire raise Arron. Hurley became protector and Ben was his second and I imagine they lived for a very long time.

Being dead they are not limited by the constraints of time. Everyone in the church was ready to “move on” and they all meet to do it together. Ben stayed out because he said he had things to work on. Others probably kept going until they learned their lessons, like Anna Lucia still taking bribes. I like to think Ben had to spend more time with Russo and Alex to finish up his lessons. All the people in the church were those that learned their lessons while alive.

Of course there will still be technical questions but the heart of the show is the characters and I think they tied it up quite nicely.

Would anyone like to theorize how pulling the “cork” out made SMocke mortal again?

Would anyone like to theorize how pulling the “cork” out made SMocke mortal again?

It turned The Island into an ordinary piece of dirt and rock temporarily. Therefore, he was just a man. (Who came back from the dead with a conscious of an immortal monster. whatever.)

Is it just me or does it remind you of the DS9 finale?

I remember back during season 1, theories floating around that the island was purgatory and they were all dead since the crash, etc… Well, I bet those people are jumping for joy about how happy they are, aren’t they?

I personally don’t think that is what happened. I think everything that happened on the island was real and the season 6 alt. timeline was their meeting place.

The ending was written in such a way so you could interpret different ways. I think this is part of the beauty of the show, even at the end, every fan still has questions. :wink:

I had theorized it was going to be like, a star wars ending- returning the balance but then thought more of the movie The Dark Crystal. Very creepy muppet movie I saw as a kid. Two becoming one at the end, but similar to Star Wars…Anyway. I thought the MIB soul was split when he went into the cave, and Jack would need to return it to a body in order to kill him.
Surprisingly, I wasn’t too far off aside from it being Desmond to go down into the light. I also thought everyone had to die on the island… didn’t expect this ending but enjoyed it just the same. Glad I kept my theory and stayed off the internet the week leading up the finale. I really did stay spoiler free and enjoyed the finale aside from how I thought it would end.

Any one else notice how the light went down the drain when he did pull out the cork? Just all the fun details in the show I enjoyed.

Okay, first off, let me preface my comments by confessing that I’m not a hard core Lost fan. I didn’t start watching it regularly until the last three seasons. I think I watched the 1st season, but some of the middle ones I did not.

I was generally a disappointed with the finale. But when I think it over, I’m not sure how they could have done it different. They did all the good things I finale should do: Give all the characters great moments and this finale did that by resolving relationships.

In some ways the intrigue of the Lost series is that you never really knew what was going on, so there’ was this mysterious feel that anything could happen and they could twist things in all kinds of interesting ways. But a show with that sort of style almost doesn’t lend itself to having a satisfying finale. It’s a show all about the unfolding mystery. It was mystery for the sheer sake of mystery (in my opinion) and that sort of thing all falls apart when it ends because it’s all about getting there, not about the end.

In contrast, a show like BSG is inherently suited to build toward a finale. The battlestar and humanity is trying to find Earth, or a home to call Earth, Roslin is dying, big battle to end all battles, etc. So there’s an end to get to. Doesn’t make one show better than the other. Just different.

Lost didn’t have that kind of driving goal except for maybe getting off the Island. But they kinda shot that wad already I guess? I dunno.

Personally I would have been much MUCH happier with the finale if they cut out all the religious overtones. The church and all that crap. The suggestion of life after death etc. I personally have zero patience for all that crap. But that’s just me.

All the character stuff was great. And any complaints I have about the show get redeemed a little by the wonderful set of lovable and hate-able characters.

And, as I always say, every good story is a love story. It this qualifies.

The show was better than the finale, and I’m okay with that.

Good bye Lost. Good bye MASH 4077th …oh what? Sorry confused there for moment :o

Same here.

I was generally a disappointed with the finale. But when I think it over, I’m not sure how they could have done it different. They did all the good things I finale should do: Give all the characters great moments and this finale did that by resolving relationships.

I was good until the last 15 minutes but more on that later.

In some ways the intrigue of the Lost series is that you never really knew what was going on, so there’ was this mysterious feel that anything could happen and they could twist things in all kinds of interesting ways. But a show with that sort of style almost doesn’t lend itself to having a satisfying finale. It’s a show all about the unfolding mystery. It was mystery for the sheer sake of mystery (in my opinion) and that sort of thing all falls apart when it ends because it’s all about getting there, not about the end.

Agreed, same here. Except, mystery doesn’t fall apart if you actually solve the mystery. :rolleyes:

In contrast, a show like BSG is inherent suited to build toward a finale. The battlestar and humanity is trying to find Earth, or a home to call Earth, Roslin is dying, big battle to end all battles, etc. So there’s an end to get to.

Lost didn’t have that kind of driving goal except for maybe getting off the Island. But they kinda shot that wad already I guess? I dunno.

That was a point I made before the finale. What is LOST all about? What is the theme? I was hoping the finale would reveal that. RDM said, “It’s the characters, stupid.” He 's right, of course. The whole theme of LOST was the characters and their journey.

Personally I would have been much MUCH happier with the finale if they cut out all the religious overtones. The church and all that crap. The suggestion of life after death etc. I personally have zero patience for all that crap. But that’s just me.

That’s not what bugged me about it. The whole final moments were so cliche (Light at the end of the tunnel, we are all connected, etc.) and a cop out to avoid all the mysteries of the Island, IMO.

All the character stuff was great. And any complaints I have about the show get redeemed a little by the wonderful set of lovable and hate-able characters.

Agreed, again.

I agree. Very cliche. I had problems with it just on a fundamental level cuz that kind of religious preaching bugs me, so I would have been bother even if it had been well done. But as you say, it wasn’t well done or clever. Just cliche.

Is that what did it? I noticed that when SMocke and Jack were lowering Desmond down the first time, before the uncorking, that SMocke’s hands were bleeding pretty badly from the rope.

I was assuming that the proximity to the energy source was what was weakening him, one of those “the source of their power is their greatest weakness” memes.

Just gonna chime in here quickly for those who haven’t heard:

The Season 6 DVD will have an additional 20 minutes that was shot for the final episode, which will address some of the unanswered questions.